• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scanning and OC

yotebuster223

imported post

I am an avid scannist I use a Uniden 396xt Scanner that goes everywhere I go. I feel it comforting to have the radio with me because I know when and why police activity is happening i.e. desperate BG looking for a car to take occupied or not just to get out of a police infested area. I feel that this practice is another facet of protecting my daughter. When I am in public I use a set of iPod headphones instead the clear coiled secret service style earbud to monitor so I dont look as though I am up to no good.
Now to the question does anyone think that the police would take issue with the fact that I use a scanner while OC?

Suburban78

imported post

That could be tricky. Could look like your some kind of vigilante or citizen joe crime fighter hero. I cant think of any laws that would apply to carrying and scanning together. Just dont take off if you hear them dispatched to you, If they find you and your scanning, could be evading!

Anubis

imported post

Take issue? I can imagine that some LEOs might take issue. We know about plenty of them who take issue with perfectly legal nonLEO OC or even CC.

If using your scanner is legal, then do it. Just like with OC, prepare yourself for an encounter with a LEO who might not like it. Hard to imagine that a LEO could even notice, however. If you see one approaching, just pocket the earbud or move its plugto your Ipod.

cscitney87

imported post

Anubis wrote:
If using your scanner is legal, then do it. Just like with OC, prepare yourself for an encounter with a LEO who might not like it. Hard to imagine that a LEO could even notice, however. If you see one approaching, just pocket the earbud or move its plugto your Ipod.
Imagine what the police officer will think when our friend makes an extremely swift reach for the ipod (most likely in pocket or holster) while his weapon is on the same belt or even on the same side! He's approaching you about your weapon.. You make that quick movement... Not good for either party involved.

yotebuster223

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Anubis wrote:
If using your scanner is legal, then do it.  Just like with OC, prepare yourself for an encounter with a LEO who might not like it.  Hard to imagine that a LEO could even notice, however.  If you see one approaching, just pocket the earbud or move its plug to your Ipod.

Imagine what the police officer will think when our friend makes an extremely swift reach for the ipod (most likely in pocket or holster) while his weapon is on the same belt or even on the same side!  He's approaching you about your weapon..  You make that quick movement...  Not good for either party involved.

Im not going to reach for anything on my weapon side that would be STUPID.
I will have plenty of time to disconnect and maybe even put my radio in my car, since I will hear the dispatcher send units to the call. Now being a licensed FCC Amateur Radio Operator and I am not using the scanner in a commission of a crime I dont see a problem with it. So with that said I guess this thread was a waste of time and space. Suburban78 and Anubis thank you for your replies and cscitney87 thanks for the laugh.

lister710

imported post

Most LEO’s know that people have scanners even ones that OC. Yes it look off, but you are not braking the law. I OC in Colorado and carry a scanner both. I have never had a bad (knock on wood) encounter with LEOs. I also have an excuse do to my involvement in emergency work. Just simply tell them your reason for carrying the scanner if they ask and let it go. After all it is like an ipod or fm/am radio it is good for information. Also putting your hand in your pockets fast when they see you is not a good idea. I trust you tonot to do that!

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
That could be tricky. Could look like your some kind of vigilante or citizen joe crime fighter hero. I cant think of any laws that would apply to carrying and scanning together. Just dont take off if you hear them dispatched to you, If they find you and your scanning, could be evading!

Oh, gosh! I can think of a couple of Constitutional Amendments, if not most of the Constitution which gives me the right to do both!

However...

There's a huge difference between exercising one's right and sticking one's nose into every incident on the radio...

To be prudent, scan away, and enjoy!, but avoid the situation.