• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private property non-cpl concealed carry

UCWT

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
As I see it we're tangling the issue up a bit here.

Private property rights trump all. Except when that private property is specifically regulated for another reason or when the activity(s) or item(s) in question are completely illegal, such as cocaine or home-made nuclear reactors.

I would say it's perfectly legal to CC with permission on someone's private property IF that property is not specifically regulated. (By specifically regulated I mean it has a set of laws aimed at it due to it's use or business, such as alcohol sales.)

From the little I know I feel the same but wanted to bounce this off the better informed fine people of this forum!

conservative85

imported post

UCWT wrote:
TheSzerdi wrote:

Private property rights trump all. Except when that private property is specifically regulated for another reason or when the activity(s) or item(s) in question are completely illegal, such as cocaine or home-made nuclear reactors.

I would say it's perfectly legal to CC with permission on someone's private property IF that property is not specifically regulated. (By specifically regulated I mean it has a set of laws aimed at it due to it's use or business, such as alcohol sales.)

From the little I know I feel the same but wanted to bounce this off the better informed fine people of this forum!
Well even tho we are on the same team, never take any ones word for anything! Look it up, research it, and find out for your self. There could always be that chance we could be wrong, or misspeak.

UCWT

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
UCWT wrote:
TheSzerdi wrote:

Well even tho we are on the same team, never take any ones word for anything! Look it up, research it, and find out for your self. There could always be that chance we could be wrong, or misspeak.

Agreed! And I will. I look forward to your answer from the AG's office and any other findings. Thanks for the back and forth on it. Hope to gain more insight on this.

autosurgeon

imported post

Just so ya don't waste your time. The AG does not respond to legal questions from the general public.

Only LEO, and government officials can request clarification.

So you would need to have your legislator ask for you.

conservative85

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Just so ya don't waste your time. The AG does not respond to legal questions from the general public.

Only LEO, and government officials can request clarification.

So you would need to have your legislator ask for you.
Well with the way things are with our representatives I'll never get anywhere.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
I agree with everything you say above Mike, except, in an establishment that serves, or sells Alcohol you must by law have a CPL to OC, but the law allows the owner to allow the Non CPL person to OC w/0, now the law does explicitly say an Owner/agent that is controlled by the Comission , but I feel the reason the law states it in print is because there are stipulations in an Alcohol establishment, where there is no stipulation on non alcohol Private property. I cannot articulate and type fast enough to get my point across, all I know is there is no law that says I cannot grant permission, same as there is no law that says I cannot OC

I think I understand what your saying but this is always a great topic because it's trying to put a few laws together and trying to understand how private property rights fit in.

I agree there is no law that says you cannot grant permissions but there is also no law that says you can. (Like OC? no law says you can other than a right in our constitution and that is not a statue.)Where there are laws stating specific where people cannot CC. ( There is no law that states CC is illegal on private property, other than those in the statute. If the private property is not one of the places listed {like a bar} you should be good to go.) In this circumstance I feel since there is no law that says you are allowed to exempt someone from a law stating where people can CC then I believe it would be illegal. Not sure I follow your logic.

I'm not a lawyer :) just trying to apply common sense to laws that are vague and misleading.
My comments in red. Interesting subject.

office888

imported post

FYI : this post contributes nothing

TheSzerdi wrote:
...home-made nuclear reactors...
I laughed. Pretty hard.

The fine by the NRC for operating an unlicensed nuclear reactor is actually smaller than you think!

-Richard-

mikestilly

imported post

Venator wrote:
mikestilly wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
I agree with everything you say above Mike, except, in an establishment that serves, or sells Alcohol you must by law have a CPL to OC, but the law allows the owner to allow the Non CPL person to OC w/0, now the law does explicitly say an Owner/agent that is controlled by the Comission , but I feel the reason the law states it in print is because there are stipulations in an Alcohol establishment, where there is no stipulation on non alcohol Private property. I cannot articulate and type fast enough to get my point across, all I know is there is no law that says I cannot grant permission, same as there is no law that says I cannot OC

I think I understand what your saying but this is always a great topic because it's trying to put a few laws together and trying to understand how private property rights fit in.

I agree there is no law that says you cannot grant permissions but there is also no law that says you can. (Like OC? no law says you can other than a right in our constitution and that is not a statue.)Where there are laws stating specific where people cannot CC. ( There is no law that states CC is illegal on private property, other than those in the statute.  If the private property is not one of the places listed {like a bar} you should be good to go.) In this circumstance I feel since there is no law that says you are allowed to exempt someone from a law stating where people can CC then I believe it would be illegal. Not sure I follow your logic.

I'm not a lawyer :) just trying to apply common sense to laws that are vague and misleading.
My comments in red.  Interesting subject.

Unless there is some exemption that says unless you're on any private property and given permission I believe the below would apply. Otherwise people would be able to conceal anywhere except the conditions of 750.234d. This is similar to our conversation about a bar owner giving permission to conceal. A bar owner cannot because you must have a license to conceal weather in a bar or anywhere else with the exception of your own property or your business.

See below:

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.227 ;-- Am. 1973, Act 206, Eff. Mar. 29, 1974 ;-- Am. 1986, Act 8, Eff. July 1, 1986
Constitutionality: The double jeopardy protection against multiple punishment for the same offense is a restriction on a court's ability to impose punishment in excess of that intended by the Legislature, not a limit on the Legislature's power to define crime and fix punishment. People v Sturgis, 427 Mich 392; 397 NW2d 783 (1986).

SpringerXDacp

imported post

The OP:

"If a non-cpl buddy comes over for a bbq I as the owner/agent of the property I can grant him the ability to conceal on my property."

Key Words: Non-CPL and Conceal

The Answer:

MCL 750.227 which as been provided several times.

750.234d allows a Non-CPL individuals to possess their weapon (pistol) in the places listed under Subsection (1) of 234d if they have permission from the owner or agent in the otherwise prohibited places. This provision only allows the Non-CPL individuals to OC because 750.227 prohibits the CC of said individuals.

conservative85

imported post

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license. (One of those restrictions is to have a CPL to OC in a bar, But the bar owner can give you permission to violate that restriction. I know there were 18-20 year old people at the bowling, they had no CPL by law/restriction they could not be in the bar. I believe the excteption is written down specifically be- cause there is a written restriction_. Where as there is no written restriction for Private Property, so there needs to be no written Exception. This is my Opinion

Unless there is some exemption that says unless you're on any private property and given permission I believe the below would apply. Otherwise people would be able to conceal anywhere except the conditions of 750.234d. This is similar to our conversation about a bar owner giving permission to conceal. A bar owner cannot because you must have a license to conceal (you must have a license to OC too) weather in a bar or anywhere else with the exception of your own property or your business. If your reasoning is true (To be honest I don't see where the Agent/owner could not grant permission to OC as well as CC. If he is given permission to override the restriction...the restriction is actually possession, this portion of the law does not point out OC, Nor Does it Point out CC, it merely says Possession of a firearm in said restrictions of your license I know I read that n our brochure)
My Reply is in Bold

UCWT

imported post

Ok let me start over.

establishment NOT licencd by the state to provide child care,bar,state building ect.

Private property with no ties to state law in that manner.

If the owner of the bar/bowling alley can grant non-cpl open carry even though state law says non-cpl open carry an a bar is prohibated.

What's the difference if a non-regulated establishment owner/agent grants concealed carry.

conservative85

imported post

UCWT wrote:
Ok let me start over.

establishment NOT licencd by the state to provide child care,bar,state building ect.

Private property with no ties to state law in that manner.

If the owner of the bar/bowling alley can grant non-cpl open carry even though state law says non-cpl open carry an a bar is prohibated.

What's the difference if a non-regulated establishment owner/agent grants concealed carry.
My point Exactly, this is the brain picking I was looking for.

The Szerdi had a good point,

Mike also brought up a good point about there being no law allowing Private Property owners to grant permission to other people, same as there is no law allowing OC, there for I conclude for myself that As long as my friends are on my land, They can enjoy the same rights as me.

Bottom line is that it's the liberals, & lawyers that read the 2nd wrong they see the The RKB, then they say look it doesn't say you can conceal. I see it the way it was intended, it doesn't say I cannot! I think the 2nd is just as important as Private Property for if we have no safe retreat, we would have restrictions everywhere no place to fall back, or to protect. They could come into our homes and land and say you can only have one pistol, or one rifle, they could regulate our ammo, our books, our legal papers. I feel the 2nd, 4th, & 5th are equal. Sorta like The Father, the son, & the Holy Ghost!...lol

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I agree with you there.

Another interesting thing I'm noticing, it says you can conceal without a license at your place of business. It doesn't say you have to own the place, it merely says your 'place of business'.

Couldn't this be wherever you happen to be employed?

conservative85

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I agree with you there.

Another interesting thing I'm noticing, it says you can conceal without a license at your place of business. It doesn't say you have to own the place, it merely says your 'place of business'.

Couldn't this be wherever you happen to be employed?
Also it says land "possessed by" (Not Owned) and his/her dwelling house, This could be a rented, leased, or if you have permission to be in said locations. Possession is 9/10ths of the Law right?

Technically if a friend gave you permission to camp on some land he owned, for that place and time you would have the right to KBA OC & CC while there. If your friend gave you permission to stay in his home for the weekend, then you would have the right to K&B for the duration. So I see grounds for an owner granting said permission to OC, & CC while that person is away or if he was right beside you.

UCWT

imported post

I guess I will redirect the question to

Does private property trump some regulatory state laws?

If not then it seems that the bar owner/agent would be in violation of the very thing I'm asking by granting the non-cpl open carry.

I feel without said written law just like non-cpl open carry its not forbidden because there is nothing written to deem it so.

This is a inquiry to better understand this and clarify written law that prohibits non- government regulated permissible private property concealed carry.

Thanks keep it coming.

TheSzerdi

imported post

To those who believe you can be granted permission to OC in a bar, but not CC on private property:

It is ILLEGAL to OC in an establishment licensed by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission unless you have a CPL.

It is ILLEGAL to CC off of your property without a CPL.

It is LEGAL to OC in an establishment licensed by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission with owner's permission without a CPL.

It is ILLEGAL to CC at a friend's house with permission without a CPL.

That is your argument. See any flaws?

Either the owner cannot grant permission to either or the owner can grant permission to both. Which is it?

Edited to add:
The law provides specific exception for specific regulation of private property in the case of OC in a bar. This goes back to my point earlier that unless specifically regulated private property rights trump all.

UCWT

imported post

TheSzerdi wrote:
To those who believe you can be granted permission to OC in a bar, but not CC on private property:

It is ILLEGAL to OC in an establishment licensed by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission unless you have a CPL.

It is LEGAL to OC in an establishment licensed by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission with owner's permission without a CPL.

Either the owner cannot grant permission to either or the owner can grant permission to  both. Which is it?

Exactly!!

Edited for +1
Edited to add:
The law provides specific exception for specific regulation of private property in the case of OC in a bar. This goes back to my point earlier that unless specifically regulated private property rights trump all.

mikestilly

imported post

UCWT wrote:
TheSzerdi wrote:

Either the owner cannot grant permission to either or the owner can grant permission to  both. Which is it?

Exactly!!

Edited for +1
Edited to add:

We seem to be going in circles here. So are you trying to tell me that 750.227 doesnt specifically regulate what you can do just because you're on a private property? That doesnt make sense. Then with that line of logic doing a long list of illegal things could be trumped by private property rights and doing illegal acts on your property would be not put anyone in violation.. The logic to me doesnt add up. They may need a search warrant to search the house itself but if police were to enter a home an somehow saw a non-homeowner concealing they would be in violation just like any other MCL statute on the books. Same thing as if the cops were at the door of a home and the person opened with a 10 lbs of pot behind them. By plain view they are in violation regardless of their private property rights. The logic of private property rights trump breaking laws on the books to me doesnt make any sense and I can't see how it could be true.