• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private sales in WA???

sudden valley gunner

imported post

911Boss wrote:

I don't see how long gun numbers would be coming up as there is no state form for them.

This one is baffling me, I wonder if Bill Elfo will let me in on this. Or if mine was in there for some other reason.

Maybe Fed's are freely sharing the paperwork you fill out at the time of purchase.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I wonder if this is a local edict from the Sheriff and/or police chief that long gun sales be forwarded to them also?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I wonder if I fill out an incomplete 'transfer form' and label the purchaser 'John Doe' if they'll be dumb enough to enter it..

They can put out 'John Doe' warrants, why not 'John Doe' transfers?

It'd get it out of my name, hehe...

Further, the only thing I do when I buy FTF is run the serial to make sure it's not stolen, and get a bill of sale, even if it's just a quick sentence saying I'm paying XYZ for ABC gun with serial #123 on this date.

ETA: When i was stopped (illegally) in PCO, the pistol I had purchased hadn't been updated in DOL, still came back to the previous owner.. The officer threatened to 'keep it in protective custody' if I 'did it again' (open carrried) until he could confirm it wasn't stolen.

Some people just don't get it...:banghead:

Nathan9493

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Further, the only thing I do when I buy FTF is run the serial to make sure it's not stolen, and get a bill of sale, even if it's just a quick sentence saying I'm paying XYZ for ABC gun with serial #123 on this date.

ETA: When i was stopped (illegally) in PCO, the pistol I had purchased hadn't been updated in DOL, still came back to the previous owner.. The officer threatened to 'keep it in protective custody' if I 'did it again' (open carrried) until he could confirm it wasn't stolen.

How do I check to see if its stolen or not???:question:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Nathan9493 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

How do I check to see if its stolen or not???:question:

I just ask nicely...

Technically they're not supposed to, so there's no guarantee they will..

The only issue I've run into is that not all police departments are '24 hours'.. Some are 911 only after business hours ...

Nathan9493

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Yes, however both the seller AND the buyer must sign the form.

So what can I do if the buyer refuses to sign that. Please don't tell me not sell it to them. I just want to know what I can do to protect myself. I don't know what their going to do with the gun. Give it to a felon/friend, rob a bank, etc.? I don't want the LEOs at my door accusing me of murder or something cause the guns still reg in my name.

And whats to say that if I buy a gun, and the leo's decide to run the #'s, that the orig. owner isn't a jerk and accuses me of stealing it so he can rip me off?:banghead: