• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Permit

ShawsDQ

imported post

I will be moving down to Texas next month for work (currently live in Connecticut). Over the last few years my CT and FL permits allowed me to carry in Texas whenever I was down there. I know the FL non-resident permit will still be fine after I officially move there. Should I even bother to get a Texas permit even though I will be living there. Since the Florida permit is good for 7 years, I don't see the need to pay the money for another one. I'm just questioning whether I will get hassled for using a Florida permit to carry even though I will be a resident of Texas. Anyone else do this, should I even worry about it?

nonameisgood

imported post

In most states, and specifically in Texas, a resident cannot carry on a permit from another state as a non-resident can. If you reside in Texas, you must have a Texas CHL to carry. There is a specific rule related to this. (GC 411.173)

ShawsDQ

imported post

nonameisgood wrote:
In most states, and specifically in Texas, a resident cannot carry on a permit from another state as a non-resident can. If you reside in Texas, you must have a Texas CHL to carry. There is a specific rule related to this. (GC 411.173)
Thanks for the info. I haven't seen this requirement before....good thing I asked.

denwego

imported post

I don't see anything in 411.173 other than the requirement that Texas must issue non-resident licenses to people who move to Texas or who live in states which don't issue their own. Subsection (B) indicates no distinction between resident or non-resident reciprocity, simply criteria for recognition and the ability for unilateral proclamations of issuance.

Anyone else seeing something I'm missing?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was always under the impression that Texas allowed residents to carry with non-resident licenses from other states. I saw it on the TexasDPS website somewhere, but can't put my finger on it right now.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

nonameisgood wrote:
Not true. I was a resident of Texas and had a non-resident Florida permit for years. A non-resident Florida permit is just as valid to a Texas resident as a Texas permit. Texas does not require you to be a resident of the state that you have CHL in to honor it.

Plus, the Florida permit is way cheaper and faster/easier to get than the Texas one.

nonameisgood

imported post

The legislative intent, as expressed in the following excerpt, is that non-residents may carry if the license is recognized: (from http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/79R/analysis/html/HB01066E.htm)
SECTION 1. Amends Section 411.173(a), Government Code, as amended by Chapters 255 and 752, Acts of the 78th Legislature, Regular Session, 2003, to require the Department of Public Safety to establish a procedure for a person to obtain a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person is a legal resident of another state, rather than if that person is a resident of a state that does not provide for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed handgun. ...
I'd go so far as to say that Texas law is not intended to permit residents to avoid obtaining a Texas license by using an out of state license. And it seems that Texas never intended to recognize non-resident licensing in lieu of resident licensing.

However, I agree that the law I have read does not appear to prohibit a Texas resident from carrying on a valid, non-Texas, non-resident license. It may also be relevant that when you are no longer a resident of the issuing state, a resident license from that state is no longer valid.

Rush Creek

imported post

I maintain a home in Tarrant County Texas, and maintain a home in Colorado Springs. My wife wants to live in Texas-I want to live in Colorado. So we have agreed to compromise and intend to split the year betweenthe two states. I guess we could be considered "migratory citizens" [Snow-birds ?] .

Our CITIZENSHIP is currently vested in Colorado. Citizenship is distinctive from RESIDENCY.A free citizen can RESIDE where ever, when everthey desire, but citizenship[the right to vote, serve on juries, and hold public office] necessitates the selection of a single jurisdiction.

rodbender

imported post

Rush Creek wrote:
I maintain a home in Tarrant County Texas, and maintain a home in Colorado Springs. My wife wants to live in Texas-I want to live in Colorado. So we have agreed to compromise and intend to split the year betweenthe two states. I guess we could be considered "migratory citizens" [Snow-birds ?] .

Our CITIZENSHIP is currently vested in Colorado. Citizenship is distinctive from RESIDENCY.A free citizen can RESIDE where ever, when everthey desire, but citizenship[the right to vote, serve on juries, and hold public office] necessitates the selection of a single jurisdiction.
Why not vote in both states? The libs do it. <sarcasm off>

KBCraig

imported post

nonameisgood wrote:
Absolutely false. There is no such rule nor law in Texas. The only requirement for concealed carry in Texas is that one have a license recognized by Texas. You don't even have to be a Texas resident to have a Texas CHL.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
nonameisgood wrote:
Absolutely false. There is no such rule nor law in Texas. The only requirement for concealed carry in Texas is that one have a license recognized by Texas. You don't even have to be a Texas resident to have a Texas CHL.
You are correct, as opposed to Arizona which requires that you have an Arizona license if you are a resident of Arizona.

KBCraig

imported post

Notso wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
nonameisgood wrote:
You are correct, as opposed to Arizona which requires that you have an Arizona license if you are a resident of Arizona.
That's not uncommon, but Texas is not one of those states.

Some states also don't recognize non-resident licenses from otherwise reciprocal states. That is, even though they recognize licenses from State X, it's only good if they're also residents of State X.

usaf0906

imported post

tedwitt wrote:
As long as your mailing address stays the same you should be OK. The CHL must match your DL.

I have a WA CPL and a VA CHP. I got the VA one whileI was stationed in VA (which made me a resident) andI got the WA one since that is my home of record (Matches my DL).

I fail to see how my VA permit becomes void becauseI am no longer a resident there.

Texas recognizes both, so I am not too worried, but I am still confused.

nonameisgood

imported post

Unless I am mistaken, a resident permit is valid only for residents of the issuing state. If the permit issued by a state doesn't specify residency, then there would be no issue.

For instance, Texas recognizes just about every other state's resident permit, but does not recognized the non-resident permits from certain states - something to do with background checks and other criteria.

KBCraig

imported post

nonameisgood wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, a resident permit is valid only for residents of the issuing state. If the permit issued by a state doesn't specify residency, then there would be no issue.

For instance, Texas recognizes just about every other state's resident permit, but does not recognized the non-resident permits from certain states - something to do with background checks and other criteria.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cite, please?

Texas recognizes quite a few licenses, and doesn't care whether or not the licensees are residents of that state.

nonameisgood

imported post

The language to which I refer is found in the press release on reciprocity, found on the linked page, which may not reflect the content of the actual agreement, such as:
Arkansans with concealed handgun licenses issued by their home state now can legally carry concealed handguns in Texas, and vice versa.
To me, "Arkansans" means "Arkansas residents", and use of the words "home state" clearly indicate residency. As I say, the wording or my interpretation could just be wrong. The more I examine the issue, the more I agree that Texas hasn't differentiated resident and non-resident licenses from other states.

As for Texans moving out of state, GC 411.173 seems to indicate that your resident permit would be converted to a non-resident if you leave the state. (411.172 requires residency.) Anyone here experienced that?