• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Man stopper"

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I have heard the term "man stopper" play itself out countless times. People argue 9mm v. .40 v. .45, and the debate continues, no matter what firearm page I might find myself on.

IMO, a clear as possible head during the self-defense situation, and shot placement are paramount.

It is shocking what stops one person, just as it is shocking what doesn't stop another person.

Feel free to comment.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I agree a lot is up to chance/skill. Carry what is comfortable and what you can shoot accurately. There is a thread in General Discussion about the myth of stopping power its a good read.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I have read many articles, and blogs by people regarding the myth of the term "man stopper." I just laugh a bit when people start throwing it around.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I know someone who did a lot of time in Iraq and he said there are very few relliable "man stoppers" and you would be surprised what people survive.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I can recall a night in Helena Montana, when there was a breakin at the local sporting goods / gun store. The perp threw a bowling ball through the plateglass window to distract us and then ran from the store pointing a handgun at those at the door. He took 6 full house 357 center mass and kept coming. He was brought down with a 12 slug.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I can recall a night in Helena Montana, when there was a breakin at the local sporting goods / gun store. The perp threw a bowling ball through the plateglass window to distract us and then ran from the store pointing a handgun at those at the door. He took 6 full house 357 center mass and kept coming. He was brought down with a 12 slug.
That is why next to the bed is a 12g next to the bed. To tough to carry all day long, lol. Sometimes I question if 25 rounds of .40 is enough, but I figure it is better than none.

n16ht5

imported post

Yeah I agree. although I never understand why people get .40sw when it was really the fbi limpwristed loading for 10mm... :p (ducks) :lol:

I have 3 calibers I carry.. I love these three. I really want to get into 9x25 dillon too.

9mm, 10mm, 5.7x28mm. I feel just fine with all three. 10mm I use the most, I live in the country and see black bear a lot... and I have a bear tag :)

n16ht5

imported post

Yeah, I carry the 12ga next to my bed too. nothing like a 13rds of buckshot to slow someone a bit... :lol:

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

Isleep with a loaded shotgun 15 pellet buck, low recoil...the only thing they will hear when coming in is the "click" from me pressing the safety to fire.

I have trained the kids that if they hear our special familycodeword in the house that they hit the floor, and cover their ears. If they hear it in public they are supposed to huddle together behind me, away from me, and get down.

BTW, we plan on being at the meeting tommorrow, hopefully I won't be the only one there with a whole bunch of kids lol.

H2OBouget

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
I have 3 calibers I carry.. I love these three. I really want to get into 9x25 dillon too.

9mm, 10mm, 5.7x28mm. I feel just fine with all three. 10mm I use the most, I live in the country and see black bear a lot... and I have a bear tag :)
Do you actually carry the 5.7x28 as a defensive round?
Are you not concerned with over penetration?

9mm -eh
10mm - Nice Choice!

Sylvia Plath wrote:
I have trained the kids that if they hear our special familycodeword in the house that they hit the floor, and cover their ears. If they hear it in public they are supposed to huddle together behind me, away from me, and get down.
This is AWESOME! I am glad to hear that you have trained not only yourself but considered the effects on those around you!
Thank you!

kito109654

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Isleep with a loaded shotgun 15 pellet buck, low recoil...the only thing they will hear when coming in is the "click" from me pressing the safety to fire.

BTW, we plan on being at the meeting tommorrow, hopefully I won't be the only one there with a whole bunch of kids lol.
I love that you have planned this with your children! I look forward to meeting you and your family tomorrow. :)

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I am looking forward to meeting some of the people on here. I don't get out much with school, and working, so we will be there!

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

9mm for me...for my small delicate hands, ok, not for that, I just prefer 9mm.

I think the thing that would worry me the most is firing more than one shot...even if the person doesn't stop, and you have to put hald a dozen rounds in them, then you have to "justify" what appears to be an excessive use of force, when it actually wasn't.

The average person on a jury probably doesn't realize that some people don't stop unless you put a few rounds in them.

jarhead1911A

imported post

I carry a 1911A and i have 3 8rd mags on me at all times and a 4th mag in the center council of my car/Truck with 50rds of 45acp in both vehicles.. IS it enough to stop someone? i hope so if not well atleast i know i did all i could if i dont walk away....

It really dosnt matter what Cal you carry its all about placement, Truth be told i am a damn good shot but making a head shot is good in movies but in real life..... Not so much.

Addrenalin is what keeps your aware and alive and its downside is that your shot placement will never be as good as it is on the range.

Body armor is good to have but no so good for the person your trying to stop to have. So with that being said knee's work well so does below the waist....

Most people if they get shot at will simply stop the fight and run away but there are a few out there with the help of drugs that will continue the fight till one of you is dead.

The bottom line is this,

Keep your whits about you in a bad situation and you just may live to see another day.

n16ht5

imported post

H2OBouget wrote:
n16ht5 wrote:

Do you actually carry the 5.7x28 as a defensive round?
Are you not concerned with over penetration?

9mm -eh
10mm - Nice Choice!

Sylvia Plath wrote:
I have trained the kids that if they hear our special   familycodeword in the house that they hit the floor, and cover their ears.  If they hear it in public they are supposed to huddle together behind me, away from me, and get down.
This is AWESOME! I am glad to hear that you have trained not only yourself but considered the effects on those around you!
Thank you!

I do actually consider some rounds sub par for carry, like .22lr.

Yes I carry 5.7x28, look up the ballistics of the ammo I use

Eliteammunition.com

There is no over penetration and it hits as hard as 9mm+p. Great for coyotes too.. wicked accurate

9mm is my kel tec pf9 as my BUG on my ankle... and my wifes g19

Btw I agree that is cool that you have your kids prepared like that, I will do the same some day when I am there

n16ht5

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
I carry a 1911A and i have 3 8rd mags on me at all times and a 4th mag in the center council of my car/Truck with 50rds of 45acp in both vehicles.. IS it enough to stop someone? i hope so if not well atleast i know i did all i could if i dont walk away....

It really dosnt matter what Cal you carry its all about placement, Truth be told i am a damn good shot but making a head shot is good in movies but in real life..... Not so much.

Addrenalin is what keeps your aware and alive and its downside is that your shot placement will never be as good as it is on the range.

Body armor is good to have but no so good for the person your trying to stop to have. So with that being said knee's work well so does below the waist....

Most people if they get shot at will simply stop the fight and run away but there are a few out there with the help of drugs that will continue the fight till one of you is dead.

The bottom line is this,

Keep your whits about you in a bad situation and you just may live to see another day.

amzbrady

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:

We have code word also, the family in the house all run to the master bath, my wife is to grab the phone on the way and start dialing 911, she will lock the bathroom door, while they are getting in the tub, I cover the hallway ready to hit the bedroom and lock that door if necessary. In public is duck and cover. I carry a 9mm with 124grJHP. I want a 45. I was always taught to shoot at mass, but yes I think head wounds are more effective.