• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW Washington (Vancouver) OC report

Mech

imported post

As inspired by gogodawgs' South Sound OC Report, here's a thread for SW Washington/Vancouver area. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll start; come on guys (and gals), we know you're out there :)

1/15
OCed today at the Fred Meyer off of Chkalov and Mill Plain while getting groceries. Pretty darn sure I walked past a store manager while in the veggies section too. No weird looks, no panicking patrons, just good eye contacts and a nod most of the time. A good (and uneventful) experience.

Mech

imported post

1/16
Didn't do too much today; the crappy weather made me really lethargic. OCed to the Papy Murphy's on Mill Plain right next to the Safeway; young lad behind the counter definitely saw my gun (as a few other patrons in the establishment at the time) and no one said anything.

Mech

imported post

3/14
picked a friend up who was interested in obtaining her WA CPL and a pistol to go along with that, so we went to Wholesale Sports on 4th plain here in Vancouver, WA. Removed my magazine and unloaded the gun (as per suggested here on the board) but kept my magazine in my pocket. The guy behind the gun counter joked about "ooh, we actually have to work now...he's got a gun strapped to his hip!" But quickly clarified himself by saying he supports us OC'ing our guns. Most people, when/if I made eye contacts with them, simply smiled and nodded. One lady did open her eyes wide when I walked past her, but nothing else was said. All in all a great OC day.

3/16
took the same friend to the English Pit on 192nd in Camas, WA. She was looking at a Taurus 145 Millenium Pro at Wholesale Sports but the sales rep talked her out of it, so she was trying a Glock 30. OC'ed onto the range, and VPD was also there shooting. The range officer didn't seem to mind that I had my gun in my holster, but did ask me to lock the slide back when I do holster it and don't sweep anyone with it. Nothing else was said, and I made sure to remove my holster and lock my gun in its case/then the car's trunk before I went to pick my brother up from school :p

amzbrady

imported post

Mech wrote:
3/14
picked a friend up who was interested in obtaining her WA CPL and a pistol to go along with that, so we went to Wholesale Sports on 4th plain here in Vancouver, WA. Removed my magazine and unloaded the gun (as per suggested here on the board) but kept my magazine in my pocket. The guy behind the gun counter joked about "ooh, we actually have to work now...he's got a gun strapped to his hip!" But quickly clarified himself by saying he supports us OC'ing our guns. Most people, when/if I made eye contacts with them, simply smiled and nodded. One lady did open her eyes wide when I walked past her, but nothing else was said. All in all a great OC day.

3/16
took the same friend to the English Pit on 192nd in Camas, WA. She was looking at a Taurus 145 Millenium Pro at Wholesale Sports but the sales rep talked her out of it, so she was trying a Glock 30. OC'ed onto the range, and VPD was also there shooting. The range officer didn't seem to mind that I had my gun in my holster, but did ask me to lock the slide back when I do holster it and don't sweep anyone with it. Nothing else was said, and I made sure to remove my holster and lock my gun in its case/then the car's trunk before I went to pick my brother up from school :p
You do not have your cpl? Why do you need to Lock slide back? I dont understand...

Mech

imported post

amzbrady and p2a1x7: yep, those were the safety recommendations of the range. The range officer said they'd usually prefer patrons keep their guns in their cases until at the firing line, but since I was already OC'ing mine, he said its alright for me to do so, but just make sure the gun is unloaded and slide locked back when I'm holstering it to step away from the firing line as the range goes "cold". Merely a safety concern :)

Tomas: yeah I've been following that thread; it happened just a day (or so) after I've left Vancouver to go back to school in baltimore. Such a shame, really. Good thing I don't usually shop at Albertson's; I go to Trader Joe's most of the time, and never had a problem there. But thanks for bringing this up again though!

amzbrady

imported post

I always walk into Marksman loaded, get to the firing line and unloade my JHP's and reload with cheapies, when done I reload my JHP's and reholster and walk out. I just think this is part of how stupid our world is. We can pass backgrounds, purchase a handgun and have it within 15 minutes, buy ammo, and walk around in public. But we can not walk around in OUR elements (shooting ranges, and gun shows), Loaded and open. I'm sorry, But IMHO that is about as stupid as it gets. For Safety, Blah...If I'm safe enough to carry around my 8 yr old daughter, I think I'm ok everywhere else.

:banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss:

Mech

imported post

FINALLY got back in town from school! Flew in yesterday, and had a bunch of errands to run today. OC'ed all day to no strange looks.

1) Took the car to Oil Can Henry's on 4th plain for their 20-pt service plan. The guy didn't notice I was OC'ing until he opened the passenger-side door to look at the AC filter; I was looking at my phone when he said "Wow, LEO?" me: "Nah, I'm an OCer" and he said "COOL! 40 or 9?" then we launched into a discussion about Glocks, Beretta, and Sigs. He has a Beretta as nightstand gun and was glad to hear that OC is legal here. He joked about being on my good side and I informed him that I'm actually even more polite when I'm OC'ing.

2) Swung by Wholesale Sports just half a block away to see if they had any new toys. Ended up getting a new leather belt that should work better than my belt for OCing, much thicker and sturdier. We'll see how that works out. Walked past a bunch of people, one guy actually said to his wife "See I want a holster like that to carry my gun!" and I turned around, pointed out the same model/make on the rack, nodded a smile and left.

3) made a quick Walmart run to see if they had any ammo; no Remington UMC Megapack like I was hoping but found some Federal 9mm for $9 a box, got 100 rds. No one even looked at me. Must be my ugly hair-do or something :p

USMC1911

imported post

I just return home from OCing in Vancouver WA. I took my wife to have her nails done at a shop at Minihaha/St. Johns. Owner asked if that was "real" ? I said yes it is and was it OK to OC in his shop? He asked it I had a permit, I said that Wa. St. was an OC state and a permit was not required. He said in that case yes, I could OC in his shop when every I like. Went to mini mart next door (wife says 30-45 mins, turns out to be 2 1/2 hours) to check lotto ticket. Not a winner, so I buy another. No one even looks at me funny. Went back to check on wife, just 15 more minutes, more like 1 1/2 hours, so I go back out and look at trucks at the used car lot at the other end of the strip mall, sales man ask if he can help me, no, just looking I say. He takes no notice of me OCing. Finally wife is done and it is lunch time, so off to Safeway at 63rd and Andreeson to get Chinese. Get our food, shop alittle get a coffee at Starbucks. No one looks, asks, or takes notice of me OCing. Back home battening down the hatches for the big storm about to hit. All in all great day of OCing in Vancouver WA. ! :celebrate

Mech

imported post

That is wonderful to hear! Yep I know exactly which Safeway you guys were at; my high school sweetheart lives 2-minutes away from there and we actually got our prom boutonnière/corsage from there....what, 5 years ago?? Very friendly place indeed.

Cheers for OC'er in Vancouver

amzbrady

imported post

Mech wrote:
That is wonderful to hear! Yep I know exactly which Safeway you guys were at; my high school sweetheart lives 2-minutes away from there and we actually got our prom boutonnière/corsage from there....what, 5 years ago?? Very friendly place indeed.

I remember my prom 25 years ago, The quickee mart I got my date pint of jack daniels at is still there.

Mech

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Mech wrote:

I remember my prom 25 years ago, The quickee mart I got my date pint of jack daniels at is still there.
Jack Daniels FTW! :D

Mech

imported post

Went to Bi-mart on 4th Plain Blvd. today to get some Hoppe's 9; no one, not even the cashier, asked me about the gun. No one even batted an eye.

Then went to Brightwater Ventures to see what sorta new toy they've got; being a gun shop, no questions asked either.

Finally went to pick my brother up from the local sports club; on my way home we had to stop by a gas station while I ducked inside to use the restroom real quick. Employee definitely saw me come in and smiled; I smiled and nodded in return and went straight to the restroom. On my way back out the same employee wished me a nice day, then I went on my way.

USMC1911

imported post

I just got back from another successful OC in Vancouver WA. Went to dinner at Wendy's with wife, spoke to the manager,our burgers were cold, ate our dinner. Only one couple noticed I was OC'ing. They talked toeach otherbut said nothing to me. Went across the street to Safeway, did alittle shopping, no one noticed or said anything to me. Another great day OC'ing in Vancouver WA. :celebrate

Ruby

imported post

USMC1911 wrote:
I just got back from another successful OC in Vancouver WA. Went to dinner at Wendy's with wife, spoke to the manager,our burgers were cold, ate our dinner. Only one couple noticed I was OC'ing. They talked toeach otherbut said nothing to me. Went across the street to Safeway, did alittle shopping, no one noticed or said anything to me. Another great day OC'ing in Vancouver WA. :celebrate
I didn't know where else to go, but this thread made sense. Does anyone know what happened to the thread about Josh in Vancouver? I read the whole thing and was looking for an update and now I see the thread is gone. Maybe on advice from his attorney? Anyone know? Or was the whole thing bogus? Thanks!

Ajetpilot

imported post

Ruby wrote:
I didn't know where else to go, but this thread made sense. Does anyone know what happened to the thread about Josh in Vancouver? I read the whole thing and was looking for an update and now I see the thread is gone. Maybe on advice from his attorney? Anyone know? Or was the whole thing bogus? Thanks!

Is this the thread you are looking for?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/19970-24.html

Ruby

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Ruby wrote:

Is this the thread you are looking for?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/19970-24.html
Yes, it is. Thanks. I didn't see it listed anymore. I see there is no news since May 23rd. I'm just curious as to how this will turn out since it appeared at the beginning that Josh didn't do anything wrong. I appreciate the link. I am new to this forum and this is the first forum I've ever been on so I don't know how everything works yet. I appreciate the help!

Ajetpilot

imported post

Next court date is June 1. This is from page 23 of that thread:
Sorry to keep everyone waiting, I have been waiting to hear back from the judge. The case was appealed by the second judge, so we now either go to a bench trial or a jury trial. I think I am leaning towards a bench trial because it seems as if my community is not fond of guns let alone OC.

Next court date is June 1st.

Also, this has been kind of crappy news, means I have to invest even more time and money :(

Josh