• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plymouth Ice Festival January 23rd

sprinklerguy28

imported post

The Plymouth Ice Festival is this weekend. I am planning on going on Saturday the 23rd. I would like to get a good size group together to walk through the park, and downtown area followed by lunch or dinner after. Saturday is always busy and at least one radio and one news reporter roaming around. All who are interested let me know. Also here is a current ordinance in Plymouth for those who are interested.

Sec. 54-202. Exceptions. The provisions of this division shall not apply to: (1)Members of the Armed Forces or the National Guard and other employees of the federal government, the states and their political subdivisions who are required to carry firearms and longarms as part of their official duties and who are engaged in the performance of their official duties. (2)Hunters during the hunting season designated by the laws of the state, with valid resident hunting licenses and while in the area where hunting is permitted, however, at all times and in all other places such persons must have their firearms and longarms unloaded and enclosed in a case. (3)Persons while at a firearms or longarms showing or display recognized by the city; however, at all other times and in all other places such person must have his firearms or longarms unloaded and enclosed in a case. (4)Persons whose firearms or longarms are unloaded and enclosed in a case. (5)Firearms dealers licensed in accordance with the provisions of the Federal Firearms Act of 1938 who keep such firearms solely for purposes of display and sales and not for personal use. (Code 1982, § 9.132)
Sec. 54-203. Carrying firearms or dangerous weapons. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a firearm or dangerous weapon on his person or within or upon any vehicle, except as specifically provided for within this division, concealed or otherwise, in or upon the public streets, alleys, public shopping centers or places of business frequented by the public, or public parks or on the property of any school, college, whether public, private or parochial, locations of religious worship open to the public, or any other public place in the city, unless the bearer possesses a duly authorized unexpired state license to carry a concealed weapon. It shall also be unlawful for any person to carry a machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, or to have a silencer, or any instrument, attachment or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearm, except as is otherwise permitted by law, or to have a switchblade knife, bombs, blackjacks, metallic knuckles, sand gloves, sand bag, sand club, sling shot, billy club or metallic bar designed for use as a club in his possession. (Code 1982, § 9.133(1))

THway

imported post

I will be there.... Plymouth, like Canton, will not harass open carriers in groups. Only if you are lone will they wolves come in to prey on the sheep dogs. The Plymouth Ice Festival is very nice and well done. From what I understand in another thread here in the Michigan section, Mike Cox should be at the Plymouth Ice Festival. This could make for an interesting outing, since myself and others would like to ask Mike a few questions. Good Luck to all, and may your questions be answered.

mikestilly

imported post

I was going to volunteer for this event but I thought my wife would like to go to the festival with me but it ends up now that she has a test. Sooooo I'd love to go and yes Mike Cox should be there. I know they will have people with partitions there gathering signatures. It's all a matter of timing. Let me know the details of times and places to meet. I will definitely be joining you guys. Let me know if anyone needs a ride from my side of town. We can simply meet at my house and I'll drive down there. I'll try and see if I can figure out what time he's arriving.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I say let's meet around 1pm. It is usually busy by then. THway if you have any suggestions on a good location to park and meet at let us know. Mikestilly send me a PM with your contact info. I 'd be interested in car pooling we can save the environment at the same time.

super_squint

Treasurer, MOC, Inc. Oakland, Michigan, U
imported post

This sounds like a great event to go to! And the weather should not be too terribly cold/snowy that day, either.

What time does the actual festival go until that day? Generaldet works until about 4:30 that day, and we probably wouldn't be there until 5:30 at the earliest. I don't want to drive all that way if you guys will be gone by then. :)

sprinklerguy28

imported post

super_squint wrote:
This sounds like a great event to go to! And the weather should not be too terribly cold/snowy that day, either.

What time does the actual festival go until that day? Generaldet works until about 4:30 that day, and we probably wouldn't be there until 5:30 at the earliest. I don't want to drive all that way if you guys will be gone by then. :)
The events scheduled go until 6pm. However the ice sculptures are available 24 hrs to view. I'll get in touch with everyone and see if maybe we can push it back a few hours and then we could all meet up for dinner when you and Generaldet arrive. I just want tosure sure there are a good number of us visible during the day to promote OC.

super_squint

Treasurer, MOC, Inc. Oakland, Michigan, U
imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
super_squint wrote:

The events scheduled go until 6pm. However the ice sculptures are available 24 hrs to view. I'll get in touch with everyone and see if maybe we can push it back a few hours and then we could all meet up for dinner when you and Generaldet arrive. I just want tosure sure there are a good number of us visible during the day to promote OC.
Okay, let us know what time the majority of you all will be going. It'd be great to go, even for a little bit! As long as the ice isn't on the road, I don't mind looking at it. :D

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I'd like to make this event. Since we will not get there till the tail end, does anyone know of any good places to eat around there? Any OC friendly places?

Michigander, Fatboycykes, Jeffsayers, do you guys think you can make it out that way? It would be good to hang out with you guys, it's been a while.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I'm going to try and get out that way tomorrow to check with a few restaurants unless someone else who lives out that way can check for us.

THway

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
I say let's meet around 1pm. It is usually busy by then. THway if you have any suggestions on a good location to park and meet at let us know. Mikestilly send me a PM with your contact info. I 'd be interested in car pooling we can save the environment at the same time.
Good luck on parking... Parking in down town Plymouth during an event like this is pretty much on a first come first serve basis. Here is a list of your best parking bets...

Plymouth District Library
223 South Main Street
Plymouth, MI

Saxton's Garden Center Inc
587 West Ann Arbor Trail

Plymouth, MI

Glover Group
459 South Main Street
Plymouth, MI

Solid Rock Bible Church
670 Church Street

Plymouth, MI

3 Level Parking Structure
325-351 S Harvey St
Plymouth, MI

mikestilly

imported post

We'll be leaving from my house at 1PM and we'll stay as long as everyone want's to hang out for with the exception that I must leave by 6PM. Please post on the thread if you'd like to ride with us from the east side.

Mike

sprinklerguy28

imported post

Mike PM sent, see you Saturday. All who plan on going please let me know. I think the best place to meet up would be in front of the library at 2:00pm. From there its only a block to the park.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Sec. 54-203. Carrying firearms or dangerous weapons. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a firearm or dangerous weapon on his person or within or upon any vehicle, except as specifically provided for within this division, concealed or otherwise, in or upon the

WTF? I thought preemption was supposed to take care of this/

What gives?

autosurgeon

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Sec. 54-203. Carrying firearms or dangerous weapons. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a firearm or dangerous weapon on his person or within or upon any vehicle, except as specifically provided for within this division, concealed or otherwise, in or upon the

WTF? I thought preemption was supposed to take care of this/

What gives?
It does .... BUT these still need to be removed.

THway

imported post

Ok guys... here is a list of events that will be done at the Plymouth Ice Festival on the 23rd.

Festival Hours: Saturday, Jan. 23: 10AM – 6PM

The following events take place during ALL festival hours! • Live ice carving and displays in the Sculpture Garden
• Food vendors serving tasty winter treats
• Hot Spot warming tent with local vendors
• Forest Avenue scavenger hunt, petting farm, and pony rides

Saturday, Jan. 23: 11:00AM – 4:00PM: College Individual Carving Competitions
Be on-site as we showcase the talent of young, local Michigan ice carvers. Witness the drama as over thirty individual college students compete under a strict time limit to win first prize at the Plymouth Ice Festival!
1:00PM: The Troubadours perform on Penniman Avenue
Need to warm up? Head over to Penniman Avenue to see one of the hottest world-music bands in metro-Detroit today.
1:00PM: The Shawn Riley Band performs on Ann Arbor Trail
Local favorites, the Shawn Riley Band play favorites of yesterday and today among the many fantastic shops on Ann Arbor Trail.
1:00PM: Global Village performs on Forest Avenue
You can’t help but tap your feet to the funky sounds of Global Village heating up the Ice Festival with their infectious rhythms. Can you dig it?
3:00, 5:00, & 7:00PM: Balto (Children’s Animated Film) at the Penn Theater
A half-wolf, half-husky named Balto becomes a hero as he leads a dog team on a n exciting 600 mile trip across the Alaskan wilderness.
5:00PM: Dueling Chainsaws Speed Carving Competition
Chips of ice will fly like sparks as competitors face off to win YOUR approval. It’s winner take all in this high stakes, fast-paced, entertaining show. Each contender will have only15 minutes to carve a sculpture to be judged by the audience. This is the highlight of the festival and not to be missed!

5,000 Pound Snow Cone: At Station 885 restaurant, 885 Starkweather, Plymouth
Saturday, January 23 at 4:00PM Station 885 will attempt to break the world record for the world’s largest snow cone by revealing a 5,000 pound snow cone at approximately 4:30 PM in the Station 885 parking lot. Once completed, free snow cones will be passed around for everyone to eat and enjoy a piece of history.