Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Crazy story from a LEO

  1. #1
    Regular Member swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    573

    Post imported post

    This is one story that I think a lot of you will find yourself going :what:


    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...encounter.html

    From SIXTO

    I was minding my own business patrolling the town today at work when a pickup truck right in front of me hits the curb, then bounces back into oncoming traffic. I follow it for a bit, it continues its erratic driving so I stop it.

    I can see the driver fiddling around with something, but I couldn't tell what. I made my approach with a little more caution than usual. As I'm at the drivers window, he still has not brought his right hand into view. I told asked him once, told him once ( I was in a charitable mood today) and then it was on. He started to pull his right hand out of is pocket...



    and he pissed himself.

    Yup, he had a snub in his pocket, drawing it I presume was to shoot me. He wasn't happy about getting stopped, and he knew I was going to arrest him for DUI.
    Thing is, I knew he had something. Something he did not want me to see. I already had my weapon out, ready to shoot him through the door. He never knew that. Once I was positive he had a weapon of his own, I simply brought mine up to eye level and he soiled his drawers dropping the little Charter onto the seat.

    He even told me he was going to shoot me, he did not want another DUI, as he would lose his CDL. But, he had planned to get the drop on me, not me already having him covered. He did not seem to understand that I would have been perfectly justified to pumpkin head him right there as he sat in his truck; he was a permit holder after all...

    After that, things were uneventful. Arrest was made, D/A went to jail, permit revoked for life.

    So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a "good guy". Paying attention to little details might have saved my life tonight. I know it saved his.

    I do hope he is a member here so he can post his "LEO encounter" story if somebody bails him out on Tuesday.

  2. #2
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    Seems like the cop's on the ball. Good thing no one got hurt.

    And furthermore, he caught a drunk driver. I hate drinking and driving.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Washington, USA
    Posts
    748

    Post imported post

    Glad Sixto is OK. He done good!
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.


    Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    No "bug eyes" here. LEO did good job of weeding out a bad apple. Kudos.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    570

    Post imported post

    I for one have never bought into the "I have a permit so I am a good guy" BS no more than the "I am in the military" Or "I was in the military" or "I am or was a cop" bad guys come in all shapes and sizes and uniforms. I dealt with the I have a permit elitists when I worked in gun sales, and almost without exception the ones who complained the loudest about getting a delay on their purchase in-spite having a concealed permit are the ones who were no longer eligible to own firearms and knew they would get denied.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Good job on the cops part. His comments a little off, but I feel it was for defensivecarry site and still shows the thinking of LEO's us vs. them attitude.

    I don't think we would put upwith a member who would post an LEO encounter like that here.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Good job on the cops part. His comments a little off, but I feel it was for defensivecarry site and still shows the thinking of LEO's us vs. them attitude.

    I don't think we would put upwith a member who would post an LEO encounter like that here.
    What won't you put up with? The LEO's story or the permit holder's story, if he was a member?

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    erps wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Good job on the cops part. His comments a little off, but I feel it was for defensivecarry site and still shows the thinking of LEO's us vs. them attitude.

    I don't think we would put upwith a member who would post an LEO encounter like that here.
    What won't you put up with? The LEO's story or the permit holder's story, if he was a member?
    Don't think the story is the problem, but rather the perceived attitude that might be questioned.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    If a permit holder acted like that and posted it here.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    I think y'all are missing the point. The cop dropped the nub of his story into the text near the very end: "So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a 'good guy' ".

    We have seen this comment before as a cop justification to trust no one. Not even backround-checked permit holders. Which is really just another excuse not to exercise judgment or a justification to avoid doing so. Which, we have seen too often, translates into some cops seizing all firearms for officer safety during traffic stops rather thanobserving the occupantsand exercising judgement.

    But, it is a point the cop completely sinks earlier in the text. He saw the guy doing something. It wasn't the presence or absence of a permit. It was the cop's observation and judgement about that observation. The permit didn't come into it until later.

    That the cop posted the story on defensivecarry.com says volumes, too. It is better suited to a cop forum.Certainly, nodecent member of defensivecarry.com needs to be toldnot to shoot cops to avoida DUI because the copmight have the drop on youalready by the time he arrives at your car door.

    The cop comment about paying attention to the details saving the driver's life is patronizing. The driver wasn't paying attention to any details, and if the cop hadn't been, it wouldn't have been the driver getting shot by surprise.

    This story smells.It smells like propaganda to justify cops doing whatever they want under the heading of "officer safety" to gun owners. The storymay very well be entirely true; I'm not questioning that. I questioning the officer's motive for posting it, visible in his text.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    I think y'all are missing the point. The cop dropped the nub of his story into the text near the very end: "So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a 'good guy' ".

    We have seen this comment before as a cop justification to trust no one. Not even backround-checked permit holders. Which is really just another excuse not to exercise judgment or a justification to avoid doing so. Which, we have seen too often, translates into some cops seizing all firearms for officer safety during traffic stops rather thanobserving the occupantsand exercising judgement.

    But, it is a point the cop completely sinks earlier in the text. He saw the guy doing something. It wasn't the presence or absence of a permit. It was the cop's observation and judgement about that observation. The permit didn't come into it until later.

    That the cop posted the story on defensivecarry.com says volumes, too. It is better suited to a cop forum.Certainly, nodecent member of defensivecarry.com needs to be toldnot to shoot cops to avoida DUI because the copmight have the drop on youalready by the time he arrives at your car door.

    The cop comment about paying attention to the details saving the driver's life is patronizing. The driver wasn't paying attention to any details, and if the cop hadn't been, it wouldn't have been the driver getting shot by surprise.

    This story smells.It smells like propaganda to justify cops doing whatever they want under the heading of "officer safety" to gun owners. The storymay very well be entirely true; I'm not questioning that. I questioning the officer's motive for posting it, visible in his text.
    Thats what I meant earlier in my post that we wouldn't put up with anyone like that.

    You are right though it does have a propagandist twist to it also.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle, ,
    Posts
    5

    Post imported post

    I was minding my own business patrolling the town today
    What a great opening line for a cop!

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    W9GFO wrote:
    I was minding my own business patrolling the town today
    What a great opening line for a cop!
    Hmmm wouldn't it be more appropriate to saying he was minding the public's business?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    [quote]Citizen wrote:
    I think y'all are missing the point.* The cop dropped the nub of his story into the text near the very end:* "So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a 'good guy' ".
    I hate those concealed permit guys. Why can't they open carry like us good guys?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    That the cop posted the story on defensivecarry.com says volumes, too. It is better suited to a cop forum. Certainly, no decent member of defensivecarry.com needs to be told not to shoot cops to avoid a DUI because the cop might have the drop on you already by the time he arrives at your car door. The cop comment about paying attention to the details saving the driver's life is patronizing. The driver wasn't paying attention to any details, and if the cop hadn't been, it wouldn't have been the driver getting shot by surprise. This story smells. It smells like propaganda to justify cops doing whatever they want under the heading of "officer safety" to gun owners. The story may very well be entirely true; I'm not questioning that. I questioning the officer's motive for posting it, visible in his text.
    That cop has over 12 thousand posts on defensivecarry and the members over there didn't seem to have a problem with this one (I read the first three pages of replies). Interesting that some members here do. Maybe the "Us. Vs. Them" problem isn't just with the cops?


  16. #16
    Regular Member Machoduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Covington, WA & Keenesburg, CO
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    ''That cop has over 12 thousand posts on defensivecarry and the members over there didn't seem to have a problem with this one (I read the first three pages of replies). Interesting that some members here do. Maybe the "Us. Vs. Them" problem isn't just with the cops?''

    defensivecarry.com is mostly concealed carry advocates, I gather, whereas we are of course open carry folks. There is a difference in the mind set between our two groups, I think. They have asked permission to carry concealed. Some of us have, too, but our mindset is one of exercising rights, not obtaining permission. Our members are far more likely to question a policeman's approach given that we would suspect that he doesn't know the law or doesn't agree with it. "Do you have RAS that a crime is afoot?" and all that. It's perhaps a subtle difference but produces a different reaction at times.

    MD

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    29er wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    I think y'all are missing the point. The cop dropped the nub of his story into the text near the very end: "So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a 'good guy' ".
    I hate those concealed permit guys. Why can't they open carry like us good guys?

    style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"Uh what the hell? I didn't write that? Whats up 29er?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pueblo West, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    Ok, I realize that this story originated from a veteran member with lots of posts, however unless the CCW laws in Washington are MUCH more lenient than Colorado, I have to ask . . . .

    Can one HAVE a DUI on record and NOT have his/her permit yanked??

    In Colorado, you screw up and that puppy's gone!

    If this is the case in WA as well, then I have to call foul on the details of the original story.

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran ak56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Carnation, Washington, USA
    Posts
    748

    Post imported post

    bogidu wrote:
    Ok, I realize that this story originated from a veteran member with lots of posts, however unless the CCW laws in Washington are MUCH more lenient than Colorado, I have to ask . . . .

    Can one HAVE a DUI on record and NOT have his/her permit yanked??

    In Colorado, you screw up and that puppy's gone!

    If this is the case in WA as well, then I have to call foul on the details of the original story.
    This did not occur in Washington state, so Washingtons laws don't matter. However, to answer your question anyway, you can have a DUI on record in Washington without it automatically making you ineligible for a permit.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.


    Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

  20. #20
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pueblo West, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    Ah, ok, I actually bothered to follow the link this time and saw Ohio, my bad.

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    erps wrote:
    That cop has over 12 thousand posts on defensivecarry and the members over there didn't seem to have a problem with this one (I read the first three pages of replies). Interesting that some members here do. Maybe the "Us. Vs. Them" problem isn't just with the cops?
    What does 12K posts and no objections from members have to do with refuting my analysis?

    I think you may have set the recordfor straw-man arguments for this forum.

    Thirty-six thousand members over there, plus twelve thousand posts equals forty-eight thousand straw men.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  22. #22
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Citizen wrote:
    erps wrote:
    That cop has over 12 thousand posts on defensivecarry and the members over there didn't seem to have a problem with this one (I read the first three pages of replies). Interesting that some members here do. Maybe the "Us. Vs. Them" problem isn't just with the cops?
    What does 12K posts and no objections from members have to do with refuting my analysis?

    I think you may have set the recordfor straw-man arguments for this forum.

    Thirty-six thousand members over there, plus twelve thousand posts equals forty-eight thousand straw men.
    LOL....now I can go to sleep with a good chuckle. Well this snifter of scotch will help too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    What does 12K posts and no objections from members have to do with refuting my analysis? I think you may have set the record for straw-man arguments for this forum.
    Over 12 K posts is evidence that the cop is a regular member over there. No complaints from the membership over there is evidence that your analysis is incorrect as to whether the post was appropriate or not for that forum. Your statement that I set the record for straw man arguments (is that an analysis too?) is incorrect as well.

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    erps wrote:
    What does 12K posts and no objections from members have to do with refuting my analysis? I think you may have set the record for straw-man arguments for this forum.
    Over 12 K posts is evidence that the cop is a regular member over there. No complaints from the membership over there is evidence that your analysis is incorrect as to whether the post was appropriate or not for that forum. Your statement that I set the record for straw man arguments (is that an analysis too?) is incorrect as well.
    Hahahhahahahahahaha!!! (snort) (chuckle)

    I'm sorry, Erps. (chuckle, laff)

    Let me make sure I understand.

    Rather than directly refuting my analysis, point by point, or any single point, whenthat analysis is right in front of you and available for that activity, you hold up circumstances at least once removed as indirect"evidence" that my analysis is faulty?

    (chuckle)

    You understand what that really means about your "evidence", don't you? And what itindirectly (my turn, now) admits about my analysis--mainly that you can't really find anything wrong with it, except that you don't like it.

    I'm sorry. I'm sure you're a good guy and all. Just self-defense, you understand.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    265

    Post imported post

    You understand what that really means about your "evidence", don't you? And what itindirectly (my turn, now) admits about my analysis--mainly that you can't really find anything wrong with it, except that you don't like it.
    Feel free to interpret the evidence any way you want. I didn't see any evidence in your posts. Just a long string of opinions. I'm sure you're a swell guy too though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •