• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crazy story from a LEO

swatspyder

imported post

This is one story that I think a lot of you will find yourself going :what:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...iscussions/95644-permit-holder-encounter.html

From SIXTO

I was minding my own business patrolling the town today at work when a pickup truck right in front of me hits the curb, then bounces back into oncoming traffic. I follow it for a bit, it continues its erratic driving so I stop it.

I can see the driver fiddling around with something, but I couldn't tell what. I made my approach with a little more caution than usual. As I'm at the drivers window, he still has not brought his right hand into view. I told asked him once, told him once ( I was in a charitable mood today) and then it was on. He started to pull his right hand out of is pocket...

and he pissed himself.

Yup, he had a snub in his pocket, drawing it I presume was to shoot me. He wasn't happy about getting stopped, and he knew I was going to arrest him for DUI.
Thing is, I knew he had something. Something he did not want me to see. I already had my weapon out, ready to shoot him through the door. He never knew that. Once I was positive he had a weapon of his own, I simply brought mine up to eye level and he soiled his drawers dropping the little Charter onto the seat.

He even told me he was going to shoot me, he did not want another DUI, as he would lose his CDL. But, he had planned to get the drop on me, not me already having him covered. He did not seem to understand that I would have been perfectly justified to pumpkin head him right there as he sat in his truck; he was a permit holder after all...:rolleyes:

After that, things were uneventful. Arrest was made, D/A went to jail, permit revoked for life.

So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a "good guy". Paying attention to little details might have saved my life tonight. I know it saved his.

I do hope he is a member here so he can post his "LEO encounter" story if somebody bails him out on Tuesday.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

No "bug eyes" here. LEO did good job of weeding out a bad apple. Kudos.

Yata hey

Agent 47

imported post

I for one have never bought into the "I have a permit so I am a good guy" BS no more than the "I am in the military" Or "I was in the military" or "I am or was a cop" bad guys come in all shapes and sizes and uniforms. I dealt with the I have a permit elitists when I worked in gun sales, and almost without exception the ones who complained the loudest about getting a delay on their purchase in-spite having a concealed permit are the ones who were no longer eligible to own firearms and knew they would get denied.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Good job on the cops part. His comments a little off, but I feel it was for defensivecarry site and still shows the thinking of LEO's us vs. them attitude.

I don't think we would put upwith a member who would post an LEO encounter like that here.

erps

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Good job on the cops part. His comments a little off, but I feel it was for defensivecarry site and still shows the thinking of LEO's us vs. them attitude.

I don't think we would put upwith a member who would post an LEO encounter like that here.
What won't you put up with? The LEO's story or the permit holder's story, if he was a member?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

erps wrote:

What won't you put up with? The LEO's story or the permit holder's story, if he was a member?
Don't think the story is the problem, but rather the perceived attitude that might be questioned.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think y'all are missing the point. The cop dropped the nub of his story into the text near the very end: "So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a 'good guy' ".

We have seen this comment before as a cop justification to trust no one. Not even backround-checked permit holders. Which is really just another excuse not to exercise judgment or a justification to avoid doing so. Which, we have seen too often, translates into some cops seizing all firearms for officer safety during traffic stops rather thanobserving the occupantsand exercising judgement.

But, it is a point the cop completely sinks earlier in the text. He saw the guy doing something. It wasn't the presence or absence of a permit. It was the cop's observation and judgement about that observation. The permit didn't come into it until later.

That the cop posted the story on defensivecarry.com says volumes, too. It is better suited to a cop forum.Certainly, nodecent member of defensivecarry.com needs to be toldnot to shoot cops to avoida DUI because the copmight have the drop on youalready by the time he arrives at your car door.

The cop comment about paying attention to the details saving the driver's life is patronizing. The driver wasn't paying attention to any details, and if the cop hadn't been, it wouldn't have been the driver getting shot by surprise.

This story smells.It smells like propaganda to justify cops doing whatever they want under the heading of "officer safety" to gun owners. The storymay very well be entirely true; I'm not questioning that. I questioning the officer's motive for posting it, visible in his text.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I think y'all are missing the point. The cop dropped the nub of his story into the text near the very end: "So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a 'good guy' ".

We have seen this comment before as a cop justification to trust no one. Not even backround-checked permit holders. Which is really just another excuse not to exercise judgment or a justification to avoid doing so. Which, we have seen too often, translates into some cops seizing all firearms for officer safety during traffic stops rather thanobserving the occupantsand exercising judgement.

But, it is a point the cop completely sinks earlier in the text. He saw the guy doing something. It wasn't the presence or absence of a permit. It was the cop's observation and judgement about that observation. The permit didn't come into it until later.

That the cop posted the story on defensivecarry.com says volumes, too. It is better suited to a cop forum.Certainly, nodecent member of defensivecarry.com needs to be toldnot to shoot cops to avoida DUI because the copmight have the drop on youalready by the time he arrives at your car door.

The cop comment about paying attention to the details saving the driver's life is patronizing. The driver wasn't paying attention to any details, and if the cop hadn't been, it wouldn't have been the driver getting shot by surprise.

This story smells.It smells like propaganda to justify cops doing whatever they want under the heading of "officer safety" to gun owners. The storymay very well be entirely true; I'm not questioning that. I questioning the officer's motive for posting it, visible in his text.

Thats what I meant earlier in my post that we wouldn't put up with anyone like that.

You are right though it does have a propagandist twist to it also.

29er

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I think y'all are missing the point.  The cop dropped the nub of his story into the text near the very end:  "So, just because one has a permit, does not make one a 'good guy' ".

I hate those concealed permit guys. Why can't they open carry like us good guys?

erps

imported post

That the cop posted the story on defensivecarry.com says volumes, too. It is better suited to a cop forum. Certainly, no decent member of defensivecarry.com needs to be told not to shoot cops to avoid a DUI because the cop might have the drop on you already by the time he arrives at your car door. The cop comment about paying attention to the details saving the driver's life is patronizing. The driver wasn't paying attention to any details, and if the cop hadn't been, it wouldn't have been the driver getting shot by surprise. This story smells. It smells like propaganda to justify cops doing whatever they want under the heading of "officer safety" to gun owners. The story may very well be entirely true; I'm not questioning that. I questioning the officer's motive for posting it, visible in his text.
That cop has over 12 thousand posts on defensivecarry and the members over there didn't seem to have a problem with this one (I read the first three pages of replies). Interesting that some members here do. Maybe the "Us. Vs. Them" problem isn't just with the cops?

Machoduck

imported post

''That cop has over 12 thousand posts on defensivecarry and the members over there didn't seem to have a problem with this one (I read the first three pages of replies). Interesting that some members here do. Maybe the "Us. Vs. Them" problem isn't just with the cops?''

defensivecarry.com is mostly concealed carry advocates, I gather, whereas we are of course open carry folks. There is a difference in the mind set between our two groups, I think. They have asked permission to carry concealed. Some of us have, too, but our mindset is one of exercising rights, not obtaining permission. Our members are far more likely to question a policeman's approach given that we would suspect that he doesn't know the law or doesn't agree with it. "Do you have RAS that a crime is afoot?" and all that. It's perhaps a subtle difference but produces a different reaction at times.

MD

sudden valley gunner

imported post

29er wrote:
Citizen wrote:

I hate those concealed permit guys. Why can't they open carry like us good guys?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"Uh what the hell? I didn't write that? Whats up 29er?

bogidu

imported post

Ok, I realize that this story originated from a veteran member with lots of posts, however unless the CCW laws in Washington are MUCH more lenient than Colorado, I have to ask . . . .

Can one HAVE a DUI on record and NOT have his/her permit yanked??

In Colorado, you screw up and that puppy's gone!

If this is the case in WA as well, then I have to call foul on the details of the original story.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bogidu wrote:
Ok, I realize that this story originated from a veteran member with lots of posts, however unless the CCW laws in Washington are MUCH more lenient than Colorado, I have to ask . . . .

Can one HAVE a DUI on record and NOT have his/her permit yanked??

In Colorado, you screw up and that puppy's gone!

If this is the case in WA as well, then I have to call foul on the details of the original story.
This did not occur in Washington state, so Washingtons laws don't matter. However, to answer your question anyway, you can have a DUI on record in Washington without it automatically making you ineligible for a permit.