• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remmington VTR .22

metalman383

imported post

I was wondering if anyone has one of these? Gander Mtn has them on sale for $296. I would rather shoot up a thousand .22 shells, than a thousand .223 shells. The gun looks pretty cool, and would make a good plinker, if it functions well. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

This is the 597 AR style.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

metalman383 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has one of these? Gander Mtn has them on sale for $296. I would rather shoot up a thousand .22 shells, than a thousand .223 shells. The gun looks pretty cool, and would make a good plinker, if it functions well. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

This is the 597 AR style.
For how much? :shock: The msrp starts at $445.00 for the 597 VTR
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/05/21/remington-model-597-vtr-ar-15-style-22/

A search of the Gander Mountain sites did not yield this gun. :(

Yata hey

metalman383

imported post

Started out at $499.99. After sale, instant rebate, and 10% off, it is $296.99. I got a flyer in the Sunday paper. I called the Eau Claire store, they said the had lots of them. I am going to pick up a new toy! I am guessing it is not the highest quality, but if it feeds ok, makes noise, and hits the paper, it has to be worth that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

metalman383 wrote:
Started out at $499.99. After sale, instant rebate, and 10% off, it is $296.99. I got a flyer in the Sunday paper. I called the Eau Claire store, they said the had lots of them. I am going to pick up a new toy! I am guessing it is not the highest quality, but if it feeds ok, makes noise, and hits the paper, it has to be worth that.
Please let us know how it shoots, particularly as to accuracy/grouping - really nice price!

Yata hey

Dreamer

imported post

For some reason this rifle doesn't come up on a search of the Gander Mountain website.

However, if you go to the main home page, on the right hand column, about halfway down, there is a link titled "Shop Store Ads". Click on that, give your ZIP code, and it will bring up a sale flier for your local store, and THAT should have this rifle listed...

This sale also features an Original Model 1895 Chilean 7mm Mauser (7x57) Bolt Action Rifle for $197.97. It's not nearly as modern or "sexy" as the Remington, but 7mm Mauser is a much more "practical" round. The .22 Rem looks like a LOT of fun, and would be inexpensive to shoot, but the Mauser would be a much better "utility" rifle...

They also have the FN-AR in .308 for $1109.99. While that's not a great bargain, it is a VERY nice rifle at a reasonable price...