• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I just bought...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

From Sportsmans Guide: A Serpa Blackhawk holster for a 1911 ($40.00) and a MOLLE scabbard for my Remmie 870 18" ($25.00) 'n a leather concealment gun vest for my up-coming trip to Texas ($60.00). Also a pair of those 'bed holster gadgets that slip between the mattress 'n box spring. I could make those, but the wife wanted 'em 'store bought'.

Anybody got any current recommendations/precautions on transportin'/carryingfirearms in the El Paso / Van Horn area?

Pace

imported post

I have to say I love blackhawk, all their stuff is amazing. Half of my wardrobe is blackhawk!

Michigander

imported post

I don't know about Van Horn, but I've heard from Texans I know that many El Paso police officers are amazingly corrupt, and that it can be a rather dangerous place due to the close proximity to a crime ridden part of Mexico. Lots of smuggling, as with most border towns and cities. My 2 visits to the city while passing through did nothing to convince me otherwise.

It's kind of like Detroit. I'd suggest making sure you don't piss off the cops, and watch your back at all times. It sounds like you have those things covered.

NY2AZ

imported post

I just picked up a serpa myself, for my M&P. I think it's a wonderful holster. Good choice! The release is what makes it for me; it places your index finger in the correct position.

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
From Sportsmans Guide: A Serpa Blackhawk holster for a 1911 ($40.00) and a MOLLE scabbard for my Remmie 870 18" ($25.00) 'n a leather concealment gun vest for my up-coming trip to Texas ($60.00). Also a pair of those 'bed holster gadgets that slip between the mattress 'n box spring. I could make those, but the wife wanted 'em 'store bought'.

Anybody got any current recommendations/precautions on transportin'/carryingfirearms in the El Paso / Van Horn area?
The only recommendation I can make is probably one that you can't follow:

Don't. Don't go to that cesspool of an area. Period. Stay away.

Make sure that you follow all traffic laws to the 'T'. You don't want to give local law enforcement *ANY* reason to want to pull you over -- and with out-of-state plates you're going to be on the radar.

Other than that -- make sure you are in at least Condition Orange at all times while there.

That's the best I can do -- I'm sleepy.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I intend to remain on I-10 as much as possible. I've been invited to a Cowboy Poets Gathering in Van Horn to recite my stuff... 'Got a CD in the works that'll be ready by then (I hope).

Sonora Rebel

imported post

TOF wrote:
Enjoy your trip and sell a bunch of CD's. :celebrate :celebrate

Just don't cross over at Juarez. :shock:

Nope... 'Been stayin outta Mexico since the 'trubbles' began. IN FACT... it was the germination of the 'idea' for this particular poem.

I can’t go back to Mexico

She said: “Via Con Dios” with a smile
As I climbed into the saddle
While her daddy’s whole damn outfit
Was ready for a battle

How was I to know her daddy
Was some fancypants Grandee
I only had her for a night
They’re all the same to me

Just some fun at the Fiesta
Down around Nogales
I didn’t know ‘she's a Spanish princess
From some Rancho Grande palace

I thought she’s prob’ly twenty
‘Come to find out she’s fifteen
Somebody told her daddy
And all her brothers... it would seem

Oh, there’s no doubt about it
This cowboy’d never go to jail
‘Best I could hope for was a bullet
With these loco charros on my tail

I reckon I’m a scoundrel
‘Plied her up with cactus juice
All that Mescal ‘n Tequila
Would make a saint get loose

Oh, a bunch of 'em come at me
A'yellin' 'n a'shootin'
I lit outta there right quick
I really was a'scootin'

Well, I fin’ly crossed the border
Somewhere west of ol' Lochiel
Got up on that Royal Road
'Got quit of that ordeal

I can’t go back to Mexico
I'll never take that chance
For all I know, the Federales
Would have me do the hanged mans dance

So, I'll stay in Arizona
For all my sportin' life
'Determine if they're old enuff
'n not somebody's wife

'Ain't no drought of sportin' women
Ya gotta just know where to go
But no matter the temptation
I'll stay outta Mexico

crisisweasel

imported post

El Paso is not a gorgeous place but people exaggerate about it a lot. In fact, it is eerily quiet when compared to the situation in Juarez.

I was there on business a few months ago and I carried my Glock 26 around and didn't have any problem. The big deal with Texas is that you can't allow your gun to show, at all. I would have assumed Texas would have better laws than it does, but it is what it is.

There's a road called "Scenic Drive" in El Paso that is worth driving up. The view of the border, especially at night, is remarkable.

Most restaurants I went to had detailed, standardized posters regarding the heavy penalties for possessing a gun illegally on the premises. Carrying concealed, commensurate with your Arizona CCW and reciprocity, should be fine.

Frankly I don't think a guy like you is likely to attract attention or be a priority. El Paso's problems are related to kidnapping and violence spillover from Juarez, which mostly involves people involved in the drug trade, most of whom are, presumably, Mexican.

Walking around El Paso, I didn't feel particularly unsafe or under scrutiny or anything.