• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kudo's to a SDPD dispatcher

Gundude

imported post

The other day, I UOC'ed at a local supermarket as I normaly do. When I got home, I called the local SDPD substation. I didn't use 911. I just wanted to see how they handle calls about this. I told them that earlier there was a MWAG in the market. They switched me to a dispatcher. I told her the same thing, and asked it that was legal. She told me it was ok if the gun was unloaded. She asked whathe was doing. I said it looked like he was trying to decide between whole wheat or potato bread, and wasn't threatening anyone. She said, if I felt nervous about it, give usthem acall andtheywould send someone out. I reassured her I wasn't uncomfortale about it, just curious.

I believe in giving kudo's where they are deserved, and this dispatcher certainly deserves some. She should get a raise. Also, more kudo's to the market security team for not raising a bigstink over something that's perfectly legal.

NightOwl

imported post

I'm stunned that there's a little bit of sense left in a CA police department. *REAL WOMEN OF GENIUS* SDPD dispatcher, this Bud's for you.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Send someone because a citizen feels nervous and not because there is a crime in progress?

At least the dispatcher knows some of the law, but police rely on good information from dispatchers, and so does the general public to reduce the chances of an escalated encounter, more importantly between an officer "that has little information" and a law-abiding citizen legally carrying their firearm.

NightOwl

imported post

This is CA, a certain amount of hand-holding is to be expected, I think half the state population wouldn't know what to do without it. Nevertheless, I'm still quite happy to see the first (that I'm aware of) dispatcher with a little sense in this state, in regards to a mwag call.

I think it's a safe bet that wouldn't have been a large group of PD + Helicopter style call. Some good info by the dispatcher results in officers not showing up thinking there is someone intent on gunning down everybody, and instead show up knowing it's a person shopping for bread.

It's a big improvement.

Lomic

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Send someone because a citizen feels nervous and not because there is a crime in progress?
In all fairness, these days, I wouldn't doubt most dispatchers would send out an officer any time someone calls up and says something is making them nervous, guns involved or not...

"This man just walked past me and my children in the supermarket and said 'hi' to them, I think he's going to try to abduct them!"

"There's a man walking behind me down the street! Send help!"

All situations where the person is only nervous because they have no means of protecting themselves and the ones they love in the unlikely chance a situation like this does turn out to involve a bad-guy.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lomic wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
In all fairness, these days, I wouldn't doubt most dispatchers would send out an officer any time someone calls up and says something is making them nervous, guns involved or not...

"This man just walked past me and my children in the supermarket and said 'hi' to them, I think he's going to try to abduct them!"

"There's a man walking behind me down the street! Send help!"

All situations where the person is only nervous because they have no means of protecting themselves and the ones they love in the unlikely chance a situation like this does turn out to involve a bad-guy.
LoL!

I wondered how California managed to waste all those tax dollars...

I spoke with the local PD, a block from where I live, about how many kook calls they get. The dispatcher, herself a police woman, told me one lady calls about three times a week to report "suspicious activity which never turns out to be anything more than neighborhood kids walking by her home. They have to respond to each and every call, though. She probably costs the department, and the rest of us taxpayers, about $10,000 a year.

leoffensive

imported post

Gundude wrote:
The other day, I UOC'ed at a local supermarket as I normaly do. When I got home, I called the local SDPD substation. I didn't use 911. I just wanted to see how they handle calls about this. I told them that earlier there was a MWAG in the market. They switched me to a dispatcher. I told her the same thing, and asked it that was legal. She told me it was ok if the gun was unloaded. She asked whathe was doing. I said it looked like he was trying to decide between whole wheat or potato bread, and wasn't threatening anyone. She said, if I felt nervous about it, give usthem acall andtheywould send someone out. I reassured her I wasn't uncomfortale about it, just curious.

I believe in giving kudo's where they are deserved, and this dispatcher certainly deserves some. She should get a raise. Also, more kudo's to the market security team for not raising a bigstink over something that's perfectly legal.

yay for Alpine! hey gundude! did you get snow last night by any chance?

Gundude

imported post

leoffensive wrote:
Gundude wrote:

I've lived up here for about 10 years, and it hasn't snowed here yet. I think we are at a low enough altitude to miss it. Alpine has a unique climate, it seldom gets over 100 degrees and I haven't seen it frost. I still have tomatoes growing in my garden.

leoffensive

imported post

Gundude wrote:
leoffensive wrote:
Gundude wrote:

I've lived up here for about 10 years, and it hasn't snowed here yet. I think we are at a low enough altitude to miss it. Alpine has a unique climate, it seldom gets over 100 degrees and I haven't seen it frost. I still have tomatoes growing in my garden.

cool we got some tomatoes still growing and clinging to life up here at the caltrans yard in descanso.

Nopal

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I love all breads equally, no matter their color or origin... except rye... yuck!

Them's fightin' words there, partner!

If you think some of us get passionate about guns, you've notmet the food snobwe carry inside. Things can get really ugly, so I think it's best for all if we leave things where they lay.