• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waukesha gun show very disappointing

bigdaddy1

imported post

I havent been toa gun show for a long time. I wanted to get some ammo cans so off I went. While there I was doing some window shopping. I couldnt believe that these folks were so overpriced on just about everything. I overheard vendors complaining that they either didnt sell anything or very little. I knew why from their prices. Nothing stood out as an outstanding deal, although some prices were at least about list. Ammo was about retail prices, although they did have some unusual calibers. Several were already packing up or gone from the empty tables.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bill Clinton and Obama are two of the best friends gun dealers have ever had. Before you jump all over me on that. I was a dealer for 25 years. I know how much my wholesale prices went up under their watches.

bigdaddy1

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Bill Clinton and Obama are two of the best friends gun dealers have ever had. Before you jump all over me on that. I was a dealer for 25 years. I know how much my wholesale prices went up under their watches.
I know exactly what you mean about the best gun salesman. It would seem like the gold rush is nearing its end however. I have noticed retail gun prices, while no where near pre-Obama prices are coming down. At least in some of the big box stores anyway. I have not been seeing or hearing about the mass ammo shortages, and the cost of ammo is coming down (again in the big box stores)a bit as well. Most of what I saw there was over priced guns, over priced ammo in boxes that look like they have been through a clothes dryer and most of the deals were still pretty high per round. I actually thought it was funny that these guys were so confused as to why they weren't selling. I may not go to another show for a long time, we will see.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

The only time I have ever seen a "deal" at any gun show was from a private seller that was dumpingused guns, or other used items.

I can get almost anything thatI find at a show, at one of the local dealers in town, and for a better price. Then if I have a problem somewhere after the purchase, I know my dealer will help me resolve it.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
The only time I have ever seen a "deal" at any gun show was from a private seller that was dumpingused guns, or other used items.

I can get almost anything thatI find at a show, at one of the local dealers in town, and for a better price. Then if I have a problem somewhere after the purchase, I know my dealer will help me resolve it.
+1

The gun shows have been worse and worse.

Mr. Greg

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't been to a Bob & Rocco show in a while, but there used to be a few guys who sold surplus rifles for decent prices. Ammunitionstore.com would come every now and again and sell bulk surplus ammo at a great price, too. That was years ago, though, and the last few I went to had nothing good at all.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i was at the Bob & Rocco show here in GB, I got the new Ruger SR-556 from Boom to Zoom, for a decent price 1500 , and i got 200 rounds of 12 gauge 2 3/4 oo buck for about 150.oo all in all not bad.

ConfederateSoul

imported post

I've been to the last few shows in Jefferson, and it seems like it's just the same show again and again. Never seems to be anything new...

gbu28

imported post

I wouldn't pretend to offer an answer as I have only been to one show myself but I can't help think back to a conversation I had with the boss a few weeks ago.

He was telling me about how his buddy had wanted him to go to the Metallica show (not sure when this show occurred) with him as they had gone together many times over the years.

The boss and I discussed how, as we grow older, many things lose the excitement for us since we've seen them so many times before. It basically just gets old.

Would this maybe account for any of perception of gun shows? Maybe not. Just a thought.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gbu28 wrote:
I wouldn't pretend to offer an answer as I have only been to one show myself but I can't help think back to a conversation I had with the boss a few weeks ago.

He was telling me about how his buddy had wanted him to go to the Metallica show (not sure when this show occurred) with him as they had gone together many times over the years.

The boss and I discussed how, as we grow older, many things lose the excitement for us since we've seen them so many times before. It basically just gets old.

Would this maybe account for any of perception of gun shows? Maybe not. Just a thought.
the older i get, the more and more i develope a taste for higher quality Vodka,crown royal& my dislike for beer is more and more. i still like guns shows, but i always brace myself to not be impressed.

bigdaddy1

imported post

I dont think its a mater of disenchantment. Its more like I'm older now, have a better idea of what things are worth. That and I was only looking for some ammo cans.

scorpio_vette

imported post

i go because it's a "somewhat cheap" family event for me to go to with the wife and kid and wander around.

seems like you can't do anything nowadays without either paying admission or tanks full of gas.

i regularly go to gander mountain, cabelas and similar stores just to "hang out" and wander around with my kid. he loves the fishes at cabelas.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

The PD, Mount Pleasant, SC, where I moved from, and town fathers, tied themselves in knots trying to battle the problems of mall-rats and loiterers.

The particular solution at the 'Town Center Mall' was as a street like arrangement with the stores' property rights extending to the curb and so their right to prohibit loiterers. And loud adult music featuring violins played in the upper octaves.

I was pleased to carry and to carry concealed while thumbing my nose at the movie theater and its non-complying no-guns signs.

jvd5695

imported post

I didn't see anything I wanted that I couldn't get from AIM Surplus, Centerfire Systems or CDNN for cheaper. Plus some of the stuff that was pretty beat was still way overpriced too.

Oh well, I guess $5 for a couple hours of entertainment isn't so bad.

DickDavisIII

imported post

We go all the time and we always come out saying "Same building, Same vendors, Same show." It really is becoming the same show every time. but the largest show in WI is in Fon Du Lac this week end!!!

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

The last La Crosse show was pretty decent, but nothing beats the shows in the Southwest. I went to a show outside of Tucson this fall and cases of ammo were flying out the door from several vendors. Guys were literally hauling it out in wheelbarrows. Also there were many tables bristling with weapons from private sellers. It was quite refreshing.