Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan open carry reference chart

Post imported post

Carry Chart

Post imported post

"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Yeah I would think that would be better than another separate sticky!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    The absolute final copy.

MOD: May we add this to the stickies please.

I doubt it's the final copy.

How about OC without a CPL with permission of the owner or their agent. Astrix??
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Living document as is anything attached to laws.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Good, but clarify a 'federal bank'.

People are going to wonder if their local National City is considered a federal bank; considering it's federally insured. (I wondered about that for the longest time, but it's not specifically written on my CPL that I can't, so I figure I'm safe :P)
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    The bank will named as a "Federal Reserve Bank". I don't even know where one is right off hand.

Most all banks are federally insured, doesn't mean they are a federal bank.
    FRB in Detroit

Link: FederalReserveBank

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    The absolute final copy.

MOD: May we add this to the stickies please.

Great work, thanks!

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Why does this need to say "less than"

OC W/CPL
    A theatre (less than 2500 seating capacity)
    Y
    A sports arena (less than 2500 seating capacity) Y
    And this should say "more than"
    CC W/CPL
    A theatre N
    A sports arena N

Post imported post

How about change federal bank to "federal reserve bank"?

Post imported post

Post imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
    This "living doc" is killing me...

Here's another amended copy.....:P:P:P

Thanks very much for your work on this document.

on my end i want you to know i appreciate your work on this doc.

Devery

Post imported post

Banned

Post imported post

Lets not forget about vehicles.

Opinion No. 7136 July 30, 2003
    CONCEALED WEAPONS:
    Carrying of a pistol in a motor vehicles

CRIMINAL LAW:

A person licensed to carry a concealed pistol may lawfully occupy a motor vehicle in which a pistol has been left that belongsto another person who has exited the vehicle.

A person who is not licensed to carry a concealed pistol may lawfully occupy a vehicle in which a pistol has been left that is lawfully contained and that belongs to another person who has exited the vehicle, only if the occupant is not carrying the weapon, a determination that depends on the facts of each case.
    750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
    Sec. 227.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

If a gun is carried inside any motorised vehicle, (incl. motorcycles, ATV snowmobiles, etc...) , It is considered concealed, even if it is in plain veiw. You must have a CPL in order to carry A loaded accesible handgun in a vehicle. Without a CPL, you may transport a gun for a "[lawful purpose]"only.

MCL 750.231aA person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

A 'lawful purpose' includes:

• While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
    • While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.
    • While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
    • While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for thepurpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.
    • While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.
    • While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.

• While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
    IMHO the open carry of a handgun is a political statement, and is also covered under the Michigan constitution , Article 1, right to keep and bear arms.

Right to bear arms.

13. Every person has a right to bear arms for the defence of himself and the state.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    Lets not forget about vehicles.

If a gun is carried inside any motorised vehicle, (incl. motorcycles, ATV snowmobiles, etc...) , It is considered concealed, even if it is in plain veiw.
    Not really - its just considered in a vehicle, and therfore not allowed to be carried there unless you have a CPL or other exception.

Banned

Post imported post

Thats what I said.

I thought it might be helpful to point out that for instance, OC on a motorcycle would be in violation, as the law says that carrying on a motorcycle would qualify as concealed, even though you could see the pistol in plain veiw.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    That's what I said.
    well i took you literally - your wrote "It is considered concealed."

That's not true in Michigan - but it is in Wiscosin by case law - but in Michigan where statute commands need for CPL in vehicles.

Post imported post

Banned

Post imported post

I love the idea behind the thread, thats why I got involved. I see where you are coming from, not writing a book. I too have had difficulty in both understanding the law, and in sifting through threads and posts.

I felt that mensioning vehicles was valid because it not only could get you into trouble, but it is an area where open means concealed from the legal point of veiw. Since we all want a simple guide, I thought posting a couple things in the thread that are likely to be overlooked concerning vehicle transport would be prudent.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Carry Laws & Other Information

Post imported post

Thanks again for putting this all together WARCHILD. I took a look at the latest "final" copy. Since you got my distinction between places with liquor licenses put in you should take out the "Any establishment licensed by the Mich liquor act- In any business where the primary souce of income is sold by the glass for consumption on the premisis." part that is under the OC W/CPL section. It's not doing anything now and just taking up space. Or maybe just change it to a heading for the info under it.

Post imported post

I think MOC should try to get a bill in to remove vehicles from carry ban list so that folks could open carry in vehicles without having a CPL.

And other michigan groups should get a bill in to remove theopen carry requirements for CPL holders in some locations.

Post imported post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast