• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

semi-auto thompson pistol or puma bounty hunter lever action pistol for open carry?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I'd like to get another handgun for open carry. Anyone have any other pros or cons? Thanks.

Tommy Gun

It looks pretty good.

High capacity up to 100 round mags.

Only .45acp, but easy to have barrel threaded for a silencer.

Probably have to carry on a sling, didn't see any holsters for it.

weighs about 6lbs (not sure if that includes magazine)

23 inches long.

about $1000.

Lever action Puma bounty hunter

I really like how this one looks.

Only accepts 6 rounds in magazine.

.44 mag out of 12" barrel is about 1600fps.

I like lever action rifles.

Holsters readily available.

24" overall length.

Weight? (lighter than tommy gun).

12" barrel isnot a handgunin TN as barrel must be less than 12 inches. I'd have to cut the barrel down probably.

about $1000.

TehGruu

imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Neither. Buy a 1911 and you'll be better off.

This.

If you are honestly wanting to OC one of these, more power to you. However, I fail to see how either would be practical. If you have the Tommy on a sling, then it's going to get in the way if you work damned near any type of job except perhaps Rodeo Clown. And to OC the little rifle, well, that would just take too damned long to clear the leather if you actually needed it. Now, if you were recreating a scene from your favorite McQueen movie, then you could pull it off. But, if you want to go around with equipment to go along with your BDUs, Molle vest, and what I am sure is arockin' mulletthat serves no purpose except to scream, "Hey, look at me! I r teh culz d00dz!", then knock yourself out man.

Screw it, life is short and who cares what anyone thinks. It's your life, you make your own choices.After all, there's only two things one must do in life. That's be born and die. Everything else inbetween is pretty much up to you. Personally though, I would go with something that would be more practical in everyday life. But, hell, that's just me.

-Gruu

JBURGII

imported post

I would carry the puma to my favorite shootin spot.. looks like a fun, functional piece of tv land history. I would not carry it OC though.. not until the fall of civilization and I meet Ash from Army of Darkness or Mad Max..

Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Dreamer

imported post

I would suggest you buy the Thompson, and a few extra 100rd drums. You can carry the Tommy with one drum, and make a special mag pouch for a "spare" drum to wear on your belt.

Hopefully if you do this, you will be finally be arrested and jailed for "brandishing" or something, and we'll never have to listen to your stupid "justifications" for your intentionally confrontational OC incidents again...

In fact I'm starting to think that you are, in fact, an agent provocateur, and your firearms are being purchased for you by the Brady folks to make us rational, defense-minded citizens look bad.

Please, get a new hobby. You are NOT doing the OC movement any good.

I suggest you take up something like nitroglycerin juggling or pit-viper dentistry. If we are lucky the ultimate outcome of THOSE hobbies WOULD be beneficial to us...

buster81

imported post

Carry both along with theyour other pretend airsoft gun.Since the AK is already painted orange, paint theTommy Gun fire engine red and the Puma chartreuse.However, you willneed a fourth ridiculous gun. Oddnumbers are bad luck.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
Neither. Buy a 1911 and you'll be better off.

This.

If you are honestly wanting to OC one of these, more power to you. However, I fail to see how either would be practical. If you have the Tommy on a sling, then it's going to get in the way if you work damned near any type of job except perhaps Rodeo Clown. And to OC the little rifle, well, that would just take too damned long to clear the leather if you actually needed it. Now, if you were recreating a scene from your favorite McQueen movie, then you could pull it off. But, if you want to go around with equipment to go along with your BDUs, Molle vest, and what I am sure is arockin' mulletthat serves no purpose except to scream, "Hey, look at me! I r teh culz d00dz!", then knock yourself out man.

Screw it, life is short and who cares what anyone thinks. It's your life, you make your own choices.After all, there's only two things one must do in life. That's be born and die. Everything else inbetween is pretty much up to you. Personally though, I would go with something that would be more practical in everyday life. But, hell, that's just me.

-Gruu

I've never seen a Steve McQueen movie except for the great escape. I don't wear BDUs or have any, I don't have any tactical uniforms or vests, although I have the hair for a mullet I'm not the long hair wearing type.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You're a moonbat looking for a confrontation... or suicide by cop. Personally... I don't think you're 'all together there' in the head to be carrying a firearm at all. Most of us on this OCDO forum would agree with that. You don't carry for self-defense but to garner attention 'n intentionally scare people. You're nearing 40 years old... with the maturity of a 10 year old (or less). I would strongly suggest you seek psychiatric help... 'cause you're nuts.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
You're a moonbat looking for a confrontation... or suicide by cop. Personally... I don't think you're 'all together there' in the head to be carrying a firearm at all. Most of us on this OCDO forum would agree with that. You don't carry for self-defense but to garner attention 'n intentionally scare people. You're nearing 40 years old... with the maturity of a 10 year old (or less). I would strongly suggest you seek psychiatric help... 'cause you're nuts.

So, you're of the opinion I may only carry a handgun of which you approve? Or, is it the manner I carry or where I carry? Why would a cop shoot me? They shouldn't shoot people who legally carry handguns.

Thundar

imported post

Sonora Rebelwrote:

Sonora Rebel - Why do you hate freedom?
Sorry Kwik...some here still think that we need a justification to OC. Some even use a self defense litmus test.
Again S.R. Why do you hate freedom?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Sonora Rebelwrote:

Sorry Kwik...some here still think that we need a justification to OC. Some even use a self defense litmus test.
Itseems ironic that someone with a high post count, like rebel, on an open carry forum doesn't appreciate the legal open carry of ahandgundefined by the atf and the state where I live as legal.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Sonora Rebelwrote:

Itseems ironic that someone with a high post count, like rebel, on an open carry forum doesn't appreciate the legal open carry of ahandgundefined by the atf and the state where I live as legal.

Look dufus(s)... I've carried weapons in combat (and used them to effect) defending YOUR freedom when you were still in diapers... (or possibly before that) but that doesn't mean you can abuse it to do whatever you feel like... wherever you feel like for intimidation. Reasonable people don't sling long arms (or want silencers) to go a'wandering dressed like Commando Bob. I carry a gun for my own self defense. Unobtrusively and conservatively. You carry to show off. And Thundar... don't tell me you wander around Tidewater areaVA with a long gun... 'cause there's a whole bunch of sailors and Marines there w/combat time who'd prob'ly take you to task for that inna nanosecond, 'legal' or not. You wanna-be a hero? Enlist 'nvolunteer for A-stan as an infantryman. NFG's walk point.

We here in Arizona can carry anything we want... but that doesn' mean we should. There's practical considerations plus the fact that rifle calibre rounds have severe over-penetration capabilites that can (and will) kill or injure passers-by beyond the intended target. 'Ever shoot anybody with a 7.62x39mmor seen someone shot with one? I have. I think if you were ever in an actual defense situation where you had to use that thing you'd wet your pants... 'cause for you, it's all about image.

'Reasonable and prudent' don't seem toexist in your vocabularies. Let me reinterate that thes are weapons, not toys... or fashion accessories. Not everyone that carries a gun is always wrapped tight either. Both of you are prime examples.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
In my opinion you're a nutcase.
I think you may be over stating this to some degree. I have come to recognize that you tend toward direct answers and the shortest reasonable path to a conclusion. Both admirable traits I recognize and agree with.

Clearly one of the defining elements of mental illness is repeating the same action over and over expecting a different outcome each time. In this case he is repeating the same action over and over and achieving exactly the result he desires. That result is getting a rise out of people on this forum. So at least in this case, I am not certain that "nutcase" is the applicable term.

In this case we have a person who needs attention from any source and in whatever way he can get it. He gets it by posting on firearms related forums where he hopes he will get a rise out of the "locals". He also wants to push the limits of current societal norms by selecting unusual firearms that will draw attention when carried in public. Thjis of course focuses public attention on him, so again the exact result he desires. He has stated repeatedly that he is not a firearms activist, and expanding the rights of people to carry is not part of his purpose.

He and his supporters seem to want everyone to overlook the fact that this and other firearms forums are places where people gather to discuss ideas both good and bad, and also to express their opinions on various aspects of firearms ownership and use. So when someone asks a question as was the case with this thread, people are SUPPOSED to chime in with supportive and opposing opinions. The fact that some here may disagree with the possible answers to the original question iss the actual purpose of it being posted in the first place.

While this guys supporters refuse to admit this, I have not seen one single poster who has said that this guy does not have a right to do all the things he is doing. I have seen a lot of people who have agreed that a lot of those things were bad ideas. There is a distinction with an important difference her that he and a lot of his supports do not seem to be able to understand. It is quite simple really and it is critical to understanding the arguments surrounding him and what he is doing.

People can support 100% a persons RIGHT to do a thing while at the same time refusing to support actually doing that thing. It does not make them anti anything, it make them THINKING people. It is not lost on many of us here that the most vociferous, and vicious of this mans supporters are not able to grasp this simple concept. For these people there is no difference between recognizing a right, and requirements for responsibility in the exercise of rights. People have a right to run across a busy rural road, and we all recognize that. How many think darting across in front of an oncoming car or truck is a good idea or that it should not be discouraged. How many have reached out to stop a person in this situation to keep them safe. There is no difference in this situation. He has repeatedly said he is afraid the police will shoot him. Many have offered a number of ideas on how to avoid that.

What we have here is a person who repeatedly posts on many forums new questions all centered on carrying rifles redesigned to fit an arcane legal description of a handgun in his area of the country. Most people who see these "handguns" will assume that they are modified or sawed off rifles, and that is precisely the point he is depending on in selecting them for open carry. It does not matter what they are considered to be under the legal definition, to the person on the street they appear to be sawed off rifles. His problem is not with the LEOs in his area, his problem is that the LEOs MUST react to calls from citizens to a man they believe is or is about to commit a crime. Maybe it should not be that way but it is and he counts on this for his attention grabbing. By doing this he will get the notariety he craves.

He will have a few supporters that will come along very soon to excoriate me and others that they PERCEIVE to be in opposition to what he is doing. It should be noted however that not one of these people has the guts to go buy one of these modified rifle designs and carry it openly in support of this persons action. No, all they have time and courage for is to call people names from behind the shelter and safety of the internet. They want this guy to do what they lack the courage to do themselves.

So here is my take on all of this. We all have a right to buy and carry what we want subject to some legal restrictions. If it is your purpose to simply exercise that right, why post anything anywhere? A person who believes they have a right to do something does not waste time posting on the internet looking for affirmation. Man up and just go do it.

Unless you are a complete blockhead (the jury is still out) you already knew what the answer to this poll would be before you asked the question. That is why you left off what would be the most used option in your poll. What option you say? You asked all of us which of these two "handgun" wannabees would be best for open carry, but you did not include NEITHER as an option. That is certainly a reasonable answer to your question, and you left it out only because you know that is the answer people would have selected if it had been offered.

Sonora Rebel - We both know this is a self correcting situation. My only regrets are that someone is going to have to fill out a lot of paperwork, and it will take some time for the firearms right movement to recover. Bug on a windshield brother ... Bug on a windshield.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Look dufus(s)... I've carried weapons in combat (and used them to effect) defending YOUR freedom when you were still in diapers... (or possibly before that) but that doesn't mean you can abuse it to do whatever you feel like... wherever you feel like for intimidation. Reasonable people don't sling long arms (or want silencers) to go a'wandering dressed like Commando Bob. I carry a gun for my own self defense. Unobtrusively and conservatively. You carry to show off. And Thundar... don't tell me you wander around Tidewater areaVA with a long gun... 'cause there's a whole bunch of sailors and Marines there w/combat time who'd prob'ly take you to task for that inna nanosecond, 'legal' or not. You wanna-be a hero? Enlist 'nvolunteer for A-stan as an infantryman. NFG's walk point.

We here in Arizona can carry anything we want... but that doesn' mean we should. There's practical considerations plus the fact that rifle calibre rounds have severe over-penetration capabilites that can (and will) kill or injure passers-by beyond the intended target. 'Ever shoot anybody with a 7.62x39mmor seen someone shot with one? I have. I think if you were ever in an actual defense situation where you had to use that thing you'd wet your pants... 'cause for you, it's all about image.

'Reasonable and prudent' don't seem toexist in your vocabularies. Let me reinterate that thes are weapons, not toys... or fashion accessories. Not everyone that carries a gun is always wrapped tight either. Both of you are prime examples.

So, only people who have seen combat can have a gun and carry it? Last time I checked serving in the military was volunteer and those who volunteer are paid and receive generous benefits. I know I received fair pay and benefits for my military service as an NCO. I don't put others down for not serving or suppose that I am above someone else because of that service.

In Tennessee a reasonable and legal handgun is one that has less than a 12" barrel.

Camo jackets are everywhere in Tennessee, especially when it is cold outside.

Supressors are a concious effort on the part of a carrier to ensure hearing is not damaged in a self-defense shooting.

Firearms are fashion statements. If they weren't they would not be made in different styles and colors.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What you get out on... a Section 8? Ohh... you'll damage your hearing in a self defense situation? Are you friggin' serious? Silly me.... of course you are... but those silencers look oh, so menacing to the sheep. You're goofy... OK.Crazy people don't know they're crazy. OK... here's the diagnosis... You're crazy. Stone flat out loopy. A public nuisance. You're reading comprehension skills areeither selective or as damaged as the rest of your brain. But... no matter. I will not argue with an idiot... that makes me an idiot as well. Get a clue tho... 'before you get killed with this immature nonsense.

Thundar

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

You have a knack for stepping in it S. R. Seems like both kwikrnu and I are veterans.

To answer your question, I have shot at people, but not with the 7.62 x 39. Yes the 7.62 x 39 can overpenetrate, but then again the 7.62 x 39 is a superb vest penetration weapon. There are times when I wish I had an AK.

The one that appears "wrapped not too tight" in thisthread is the one thathas resortedto irrational insults andpejorative comments about those with whom he disagrees.He assumes that any who have served their nation and slung a battle rifle would not dare to exercise one of the rights they have fought to preserve by open carrying a shotgun or rifle.

You have raised my suspicion that maybe you weren't really a veteran, just pretending to be one.In all of my years it was "FNG" not "NFG". But if you were a veteran, thank you for your service.

And finally Sonora Rebel,I really would like to know: Why do you hate freedom?

Live Free or Die,

Thundar