Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Columbus OH CCer Foils Robbery Attempt

Post imported post

This CCer was skilled enough to foil a stick-up. Even got a 2 for 1.

Good on Mr. Smith. That's what gun carry is for, for those situations.

I wonder what would have happened if Smith had been OCing, instead of CCing?

1 Person Shot, 4 Arrested On Northeast Side

NBC 4
    Police were called to the area of Republic Avenue and Bremen Street on Friday night on a reported shooting involving a robbery.

By Angie Price

Updated: January 17, 2010

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Police were called to the area of Republic Avenue and Bremen Street on Friday night on a reported shooting involving a robbery.

Reports say Thomas Clark, Larry Smith and Christopher Frasure arranged to meet at Clark’s house so Smith could purchase two television sets and a Play Station.

Once Frasure and Smith arrived at the agreed-upon location, the suspects jumped Smith and Frasure and attempted to steal their money.

Smith is a concealed carry permit holder and had his personal weapon with him. Smith was able to obtain his weapon and fire a single shot striking two of his attackers.

The suspects fled the scene and the victims called police.

One suspect, 23-year old Thomas Clark was transported to the hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound to his abdomen. Austin Young, 21, was transported in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the hip.

Police also arrested 22-year old Tyrone Clark and 23-year old Erick Brown in connection with the robbery.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local...st_side/30077/

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

1 Person Shot, 4 Arrested On Northeast Side
    NBC 4
    Police were called to the area of Republic Avenue and Bremen Street on Friday night on a reported shooting involving a robbery.

By Angie Price

Updated: January 17, 2010

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Police were called to the area of Republic Avenue and Bremen Street on Friday night on a reported shooting involving a robbery.

Reports say Thomas Clark, Larry Smith and Christopher Frasure arranged to meet at Clark’s house so Smith could purchase two television sets and a Play Station.

Once Frasure and Smith arrived at the agreed-upon location, the suspects jumped Smith and Frasure and attempted to steal their money.*

Smith is a concealed carry permit holder and had his personal weapon with him.* Smith was able to obtain his weapon and fire a single shot striking two of his attackers.

The suspects fled the scene and the victims called police.

One suspect, 23-year old Thomas Clark was transported to the hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound to his abdomen.* Austin Young, 21, was transported in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the hip.

Police also arrested 22-year old Tyrone Clark and 23-year old Erick Brown in connection with the robbery.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local...st_side/30077/
    Good for the carrier in protecting himself. Correction though, that is two people shot... with one bullet! I am guessing the abdomen wound came first then the hip. Wow, that's penetration for ya. The CCer pulled off an Indiana Jones shot.

Post imported post

I wonder if he was using ball ammo?

I'd be interested to learn the specifics of his carry firearm: what ammo, firearm, caliber...

Not often you hear of a 2-fer that ends up so positively.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggressionand this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Yes this is interesting. Courts look at "hollow point" ammo as if you were some sort of renegade. Although hollow point ammo would have saved some poor little girls face if it where in place of the hip (assuming the bullet went through the stomach and then to the other guys hip).

Post imported post

Gad I reckon I'd be in real trouble. I carry .40 cal. "Black Talons" as my SD ammo in CC.
    Good on the self defense and good deal he got 2 for one. Almost too bad they'll both survive.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I carry .40 Ranger "T" series (RA40T) myself. Expensive little do-hickeys, but very very accurate out of my XDm. (It might be the gun, but it really likes the RA40T's) I no longer believe HP's are viewed as "evil" by as many people as you would think. I think the last bastion of Hollow Point "witch burners" are in New Jersey.

The thing that I like about this article, and that we need to see more of, is the person who fired the weapon openly and plainly referred to as the "victim".

Finally! Someone who defends themself from a crime called a "victim" instead of "shooter" or "vigilante", and the robbers called "suspects" and "attackers" instead of"victims of self defense".

Way to go Ms. Angie Price from (gasp) NBC!

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

They would've turned tail and got away as fast as they could.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

I have to agree with Mustang...it's almost too bad they survived. At least, however, they'll think about it next time they want to commit a bad act. Stupi asses.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody... respects the gun."

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    He would've been shot first and DRT...don't you know. :quirky

Post imported post

Would have been better if the sob's bleed out.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Post imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
    I no longer believe HP's are viewed as "evil" by as many people as you would think. I think the last bastion of Hollow Point "witch burners" are in New Jersey.

The thing that I like about this article, and that we need to see more of, is the person who fired the weapon openly and plainly referred to as the "victim".
    International convention still considers HPs taboo, which is why they're verboten on the battlefield, except in very limited and specially sanctioned usage. I think the premise is that with today's rifles, an FMJ is a definate party pooper, but leaves enough tissue left for a fairly normal life if the recipient survives. HPs would indeed result in higher kill rates, but kill rates cannot be, by international convention dating back nearly 100 years, the goal. The goal is to stop the enemy.

Kudos to the news crew for the "victim" status.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Post imported post

since9 wrote:
    Superlite27 wrote:
    I no longer believe HP's are viewed as "evil" by as many people as you would think. I think the last bastion of Hollow Point "witch burners" are in New Jersey.

International convention still considers HPs taboo, which is why they're verboten on the battlefield, except in very limited and specially sanctioned usage. I think the premise is that with today's rifles, an FMJ is a definate party pooper, but leaves enough tissue left for a fairly normal life if the recipient survives. HPs would indeed result in higher kill rates, but kill rates cannot be, by international convention dating back nearly 100 years, the goal. The goal is to stop the enemy.

Cite please. I've never seen statistical data to back that up.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Hmm, probably not. Based on the story, I'm thinking they would have just completed the sale if they had the goods. Or, maybe, they would have made some excuse if they didn't have the stuff. I don't see the motivation for them to run away...

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    He would've been shot first and DRT...don't you know. :quirky
    It doesn't say that the Clarks, Brownor Young had a gun. Shoot Smith...with what?

OTOH, if Smith was known to be an OCer in advance.....and the Clarks/Brown/Young team really wanted Smith's money.....then the only proper way to rob him would be to do something about either a) Smith's gun, or, b) Smith's ability to deploy his gun.

Wouldn't make any sense to try to rob an armed man like Smith without disabling him or his gun. Shooting Smith multiple times, especially in the head,would work, of course.

Or, maybe, just have three guys with guns point them at Smith as he walks in the door...and relieve Smith of his gun....

Post imported post

Almost too bad they'll both survive.

what the hell kind of comment is that? really dude? really?

Post imported post

Yeah. Some of us feel if one is a lowlife loser and risk OTHER'S lives, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they lost theirs!

Poetic Justice.

Reminds me of the feeling I got when I heard about some Bleeding Heart Christian who thought the convict found Jesus, so the BHC pardoned him. To show his gratitude the convict killed 4 police officers as they sat in a coffee shop.

Huckabee. Naivete.

Post imported post

theschultz wrote:
    Yeah. Some of us feel if one is a lowlife loser and risk OTHER'S lives, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they lost theirs!

Poetic Justice.

Reminds me of the feeling I got when I heard about some Bleeding Heart Christian who thought the convict found Jesus, so the BHC pardoned him. To show his gratitude the convict killed 4 police officers as they sat in a coffee shop.

Huckabee. Naivete.

First, get your facts strait before you post it makes bashing Christians more believable. He didn't pardon the man.

Second, look at who istrying to take your rights away in this country before you paint allChristians as bleeding hearts. Health care anyone? (the usual reply will begin in 3,2,1...)

Back on topic: Wow, I shot two coon out of a tree with one shot. Does that count?

If he was OC I bet they would have just left him alone. It took three cowards to attack one man and two got shot. Wow.

Back on topic.

Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

Post imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
    since9 wrote:
    Superlite27 wrote:

Cite please. I've never seen statistical data to back that up.
    Definitely good to see the armed defender referred to as "victim" instead of shooter. Very proper and correct.

As to military action, it is fairly obvious, and considered in planning, that seriously wounding opponents is more effective in many cases than killing them. If they are simply killed, it removes one 'effective.' If they are seriously wounded it removes one effective, and takes time, resources, and other able bodies to care for them, multiplying the effect. It also actually increases the load on supply lines instead of reducing it, etc. A hundred wounded slows the enemy more than a hundred dead.

It's also a heavier load on the civilian population for a longer time, and brings the effects of the war closer to home - which has propaganda value in making the war unpopular, besides tying up the civilians in caring for recovering wounded instead of aiding the war effort. Wounded also have a correspondingly larger effect on the opponent's economy than dead.

Statistical data? No. Been too long since I was in the military and 'studied war.' Just think about it, though, and work it through - you'll see it.
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Facimus!

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

No indication that the perps were armed. You praise Mr. Smith, but doesn't this violate your precious postulate?
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

Tomas,

When I was in the service, and took my firearms training, they never taught us to just wound the enemy. We were taught to shoot for effect. That means killing them. A wounded enemy can still be a deadly enemy. If by their luck they were only wounded and then removed from the battlefield, they were lucky. But shooting to wound was never done on purpose. You shoot to remove the threat. And you keep shooting till the threat is removed. That is how you survive.
    Evil rarely comes in the form of monsters, but rather in the form of relatively normal people who, for reasons of careers, ideology, or desire for society's approval, are indifferent to the human consequences of their actions. Hannah Arendt

Post imported post

ridgerunner98570 wrote:
    Tomas,

When I was in the service, and took my firearms training, they never taught us to just wound the enemy. We were taught to shoot for effect. That means killing them. A wounded enemy can still be a deadly enemy. If by their luck they were only wounded and then removed from the battlefield, they were lucky. But shooting to wound was never done on purpose. You shoot to remove the threat. And you keep shooting till the threat is removed. That is how you survive.
    Absolutely, Ridgerunner. And "unofficially" the view was you never left live enemy behind you...

The considerations in the above post, though, are not at the grunt-on-the-front-line viewpoint, but at the way-up-the-chain "what if" level.

With your life on the line you were going to damn well kill the other guy because that is the way you stayed safe.

The view from the tower, though, wasn't that direct. They looked at the overall effect in large numbers, not the one-on-one, in-your-face problem.

Their view was if we drop artillery into an area and injure a hundred, the effect on the enemy is greater than if we killed that hundred.

The guy on the ground, though, did NOT have the freedom to think of it that way.

(In any case, even though I did study the 'theoretical' stuff a bit, my personal viewpoint on the ground was "shoot it 'til it stops moving.")

No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Facimus!

Post imported post

Spongebob wrote:
    *Almost too bad they'll both survive.

What's wrong with it?
    We kill innocent people all the time, perfectly legally.
    What is wrong with removing someone who has proved they are a danger to society?

Post imported post

ridgerunner98570 wrote:
    Tomas,

I concur as well. In fact, double-tap is practice.

War is real. War is cruel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Or maybe get hit over the back of the head, money gone, gun(s) and holster(s) gone, ID gone,

bad guys GONE.

Banned

Post imported post

Mjollnir wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Or maybe get hit over the back of the head, money gone, gun(s) and holster(s) gone, ID gone,

bad guys GONE.
    The url concealedcarry.org is available for purchase. This is opencarry.org.

Post imported post

craftsman wrote:
    Spongebob wrote:
    Almost too bad they'll both survive.

What's wrong with it?
    We kill innocent people all the time, perfectly legally.
    What is wrong with removing someone who has proved they are a danger to society?
    What's wrong with it is the enmity and selfishness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast