Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Funny dealings at Austin gun show?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    Cross-posted in Texas section.



    http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2010/0...ith-texas.html

    "The Texas Gun Shows have been “ordered” by the Austin PD and BATF to allow no setups for gun sales from non-FFLs. All individual sales will have to go through licensed dealers."





    https://www.tsra.com/

    "It has been reported to TSRA that the Austin Police Department in cooperation with at least one agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives is apparently trying to limit or eliminate gun shows in Austin."





    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...8&t=393152

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    PavePusher wrote:
    Cross-posted in Texas section.

    *

    http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2010/0...ith-texas.html

    "The Texas Gun Shows have been “ordered” by the Austin PD and BATF to allow no setups for gun sales from non-FFLs. All individual sales will have to go through licensed dealers."

    *

    *

    https://www.tsra.com/

    "It has been reported to TSRA that the Austin Police Department in cooperation with at least one agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives is apparently trying to limit or eliminate gun shows in Austin."

    *

    *

    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=393152
    Hmmm, interesting. That loophole exist in NC and VA and there have been campaigns (still are) to close the private sale deals. I would think that if the state either allows it explicitly or does not address it, then it is legal and regardless of what the BATFE and local PD's say, they can't legally enforce it, but I don't know Texas' laws on private sales.

  3. #3
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    It's not a damn loophole.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    The problem is all those private non-FFL sellers who go from show to show but who are really doing business buying and selling guns.

    Now it seems that LE is trying to crack down on those guys--and snagging the individual gun-owners who use gun shows to effect a true private sale in the sweeping effort.

    Not a good development....



  5. #5
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    The problem is all those private non-FFL sellers who go from show to show but who are really doing business buying and selling guns.

    Now it seems that LE is trying to crack down on those guys--and snagging the individual gun-owners who use gun shows to effect a true private sale in the sweeping effort.

    Not a good development....

    Hank,

    Where doesthe articlesay that LE is trying to crack down on persons that are in the business without a license?

    The real problem is all of the boot licking morons that try to make excuses for the usurpation of power by another local PD and BATFE.

    Live Free or Die,

    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Post imported post

    "The problem is all those private non-FFL sellers who go from show to show but who are really doing business buying and selling guns."

    No, the "problem" is the stupid federal law that requires that you must have a federal license to sell guns as part of your business. That law should be repealed. The paradigm that you can prevent criminals from obtaining guns by making it illegal for federally licensed dealers to sell to them has utterly failed and is completely discredited.

    Its real purpose was always to open the door to federal gun registration and confiscation. We have prevented that thus far, and we should now close the door by getting rid of this stupid and intrusive federal law.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,052

    Post imported post

    t33j wrote:
    It's not a damn loophole.
    Loopholes are not necessarily bad things. They are merely ambiguities and can be setup intentionally or occur unintentionally or in such a way to prevent or allow certain activity or interpretations. Anti's and media have twisted the meaning of the term loophole, not I.

    Didn't mean anything by calling it a loophole (such as to demonize it) other than the fact that it is often ambiguous. Here in NC, private sellers have legally sat at booths with other dealers at gun shows and sold their weapons, perfectly legal as a private sale (and fine by me because it should be no different than going to one's house to purchase the weapon.

  8. #8
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    It seems we have different definitions for the term loophole. There is a negative connotation attached to the word in my mind.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509

    Post imported post

    If you can stand to hear Alex Jones ranting, he has an interview with the gun show promoter:

    http://www.infowars.com/texas-gun-sh...ex-jones-show/



  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509

    Post imported post

    t33j wrote:
    It seems we have different definitions for the term loophole. There is a negative connotation attached to the word in my mind.
    If it will help adjust your thinking, look at it this way: the law does not specify what is legal, only what is illegal. If it's not illegal, it's legal, and that's not a loophole.


  11. #11
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    Isn't that what I said?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •