• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South West Plaza Security

Suburban78

imported post

Called the mall office to ask their policy on firearms and was transfered to the security office. I was the told that firearms are not allowed period, OC or CC. Was also told that this policy is posted at every entrance into the mall. I then went to the mall today(to pick up my wifes glasses) and OC'ed my empty holster(6906 secured in the truck). I walked the whole mall and only found sing's posted at the main mall entrances only. If you enter through any of the department store entrances there are no sings posted as far as mall policy. Likewise there are not sings from the department stores into the main mall either. Just thought I would put this info out for others. Might try to OC in the department stores first to see what happens.

repojoker

imported post

It's funny how they say no CC due to the fact that no one would notice. All malls have signs posted out front, not clearly but they're there. I would probably attempt to OC at any other mall than CO Mills due to the fact that mall security there think they're better than everyone else just because they Lakewood PD there to help them, whoo (pun intended).

Seriously though, due to some of the work I do I went in there one time with my duty belt on which consists of BlackHawk Serpa holster, ASP cuffs and baton. Everything was covered except for my baton because I'm right handed so I carry it cross draw canted. Noticed a mall cop pretty quickly following me on his Segway staying about a stores space behind. I stopped and he started going around a vending machine, so I walked up and asked him if there was a problem, he stares for a second and says "Yea you cant have your ASP in here!" I said "Why just because you only have a flashlight?" He wasn't too happy after that, but since I was on my way out so found it humorous to mess with him and he followed me all the way until I got out.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Chapel Hills Mall on the north side of the Springs has a similar policy - no firearms open nor concealed. As it's private property, that's certainly their choice - just as by my own choice I haven't patronized their stores in several years.

It would be interesting to send them a certified letter stating that because they have denied you the right to self-protection that they have transferred that responsibility onto themselves. Then publish the signed receipt for said notice as a letter to the editor in a local paper stating that anyone stepping foot there does so with the implied protection of the mall management. They're opening themselves to lawsuit by anyone assaulted on their premises.

Suburban78

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
Chapel Hills Mall on the north side of the Springs has a similar policy - no firearms open nor concealed.   As it's private property, that's certainly their choice - just as by my own choice I haven't patronized their stores in several years.

It would be interesting to send them a certified letter stating that because they have denied you the right to self-protection that they have transferred that responsibility onto themselves.  Then publish the signed receipt for said notice as a letter to the editor in a local paper stating that anyone stepping foot there does so with the implied protection of the mall management.   They're opening themselves to lawsuit by anyone assaulted on their premises.
Thats not a bad idea! I will look into that. I would also like to see how mall security would react to a OC encounter since the mall policy is not posted at all public entrances. I also have a call into JC Penney's, Sears, Dillard's, Dick's management to get their policy on carry. All stores said that no one was available on Sunday to speak with me so I'll see who if any call me back on Tuesday.

Brass

imported post

A bit off topic, but what is the law concerning ASP's here in CO? Can they be carried concealed or do they have to be open? For that matter, can they be carried by a citizen at all?

repojoker

imported post

Brass wrote:
A bit off topic, but what is the law concerning ASP's here in CO?  Can they be carried concealed or do they have to be open?  For that matter, can they be carried by a citizen at all?
Technically citizens aren't supposed to have them at all. However due to the family businee of vehicle repossession and bounty hunting cops don't give me or my dad too much hassle about carrying em. They fall into the same category as blackjacks (sap) and have had an Aurora cop scold my dad about having it (only seen it because it was in a cargo pocket) but not tell us a thing about carrying an ASP. I'll post the Colorado statute tomorrow when I'm on my computer and not a phone.

bomber

imported post

why did you call them and ask? I would just do it until told not to.

security guards generally have little clue about what powers they really have, and even if they know, they will probably lie about it. in my younger years, i had plenty of run ins with those idiots, and if you challenge them, they usually can't back up their posturing with any defined rules or laws.

if it is posted only on some entrances to the mall, then there is your loophole. carry on.

Suburban78

imported post

bomber wrote:
why did you call them and ask?  I would just do it until told not to. 

security guards generally have little clue about what powers they really have, and even if they know, they will probably lie about it.  in my younger years, i had plenty of run ins with those idiots, and if you challenge them, they usually can't back up their posturing with any defined rules or laws. 

if it is posted only on some entrances to the mall, then there is your loophole.  carry on. 
I know I'll catch some Sh!@ for this one! My wife made me call. She is still getting use to the idea of OC and has allowed me to do so when out with her and the kids while shopping or eating out. After seeing how people react to the sight of my sidearm, she has become much more comfortable with the whole idea. It was the fact that the MALL has it's own security that made her nervous. She just thought for sure I would end up in jail! LOL. Thats the only reason I called and don't ever plan on doing it again.
On a side note. Wy wife actually asked me to take her to look at a pistol after seeing my mom's XD 9mm Sub Compact in pink camo! We'll see what happen with that.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
It would be interesting to send them a certified letter stating that because they have denied you the right to self-protection that they have transferred that responsibility onto themselves. Then publish the signed receipt for said notice as a letter to the editor in a local paper stating that anyone stepping foot there does so with the implied protection of the mall management. They're opening themselves to lawsuit by anyone assaulted on their premises.

Like this one?

Date

Address

City, ST ZIP+4

Store Name

Address

City, ST ZIP+4

Dear Store Manager:

It recently came to my attention that your store/mall prohibits the lawful open carry of firearms on your premises. While I understand it is within your right to do so, I would like you to reconsider, for the following reasons:

1. Contrary to popular misconception, far more citizens legally carry firearms on a regular basis than are bothered by it. Until recently, the media had portrayed this with significant error. Fortunately, they’re getting better.

2. Criminals do not practice the open carry of firearms. Instead, they carry concealed, and, being criminals, will do so without any regard to local, county, state, or federal law or for that matter, your store’s policy. Thus, any individual who is openly carrying a properly-holstered firearm is far less likely to be a criminal, than your average customer.

3. Open carry is a deterrent to criminal activity. Criminals do not have a death wish, and will avoid conducting any criminal activity in the presence of law-abiding citizens who’re openly carrying a properly-holstered firearm.

4. Those of us who open carry are not doing it to “prove a point” or as a “display of bravado.” We are simply exercising our 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment rights to keep and bear arms, commensurate with all local, county, state, and federal laws, for the purpose of defending ourselves and our property. None of us ever wish to find ourselves in a situation where it becomes necessary to defend ourselves, but we are also aware that the mere exercise of our civil rights in this manner decreases the likelihood such a situation will ever occur.

5. The open carry of firearms is legal in the State of Colorado, as it is in 42 other states throughout our great country.

6. In 1989, I swore to protect and defend our Constitution, and did so for more than twenty years, in military service both at home and abroad, defending it with my life, if necessary. I did so to help protect the interests of our country both at home and abroad, and to ensure all our rights as citizens remain in place and not infringed upon.

In addition to the aforementioned reasons, I would also like you to consider the fact that by denying anyone the right to open carry as afforded us under local, county, state, and federal law while visiting your store/mall, you have assumed, willingly or not, the responsibility of protecting everyone who visits your store/mall to a level that’s equal to or greater than that which we are capable of providing for ourselves had you not prohibited such an action.

I respectfully request a written reply as to whether or not your store has decided to change its policy, as neither I nor the other 140 million law-abiding citizens who lawfully own a handgun have any wish to violate a negative policy by visiting your store. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Joe Citizen

Cc: District Manager

Corporate Headquarters