• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA chp holder charged in philly shooting

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
scarletwahoo wrote: But how do you know they will stop "within inches"?

TFred
You don't Fred!
Coulda, shoulda, woulda....You can't shoot everyone that looks like they may kill you. You would spend a lot of time cleaning your gun.

When things start going west far enough, shoot him. Until then, leave it in the holster.
From what I saw, a group with only one really getting too close for comfort were moving in on a fellow, not to rob him or murder him.

He bumped one while he was putting on a Jock Show in yankee land and I can almost hear the comments now.

"What the fawk you think yur doin"

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
You all might never have been jumped before, or attacked but it isn't easy to not feel fear when it's 4 to one.
At two-to-one the odds are still stacked against you.
I guess I need to wait and see more of what happened, but so far I'm in the minority. To me it looked like boys, (especially yankee boys,) being boys.

I have to ask how badly he was likely to get hurt. I've been in that situation before and I've never won a fight against 4 people (or 3). Those odds always mean your gonna get an azz whuppin.

The worst I've ever been hurt though, is a couple of black eyes and a broken hand and nose.

That wasn't worth killing someone over in my book and I'll never change my mind about that.

This just reinforces the fact that once you draw your gun, a whole lot of options go down the drain if the other fellow isn't nice enough to be afraid.
Things were just too close there to go any other way.

Maybe but when you got yours were you with your girl? It looked like one of the boys attacked the girl also.? Maybe he had the added worry about his girl, maybe they were making comments to make him worry about his girl and his own health. At the point they attack it becomes fear of imminent harm of self and another. It looked a little 'beyond boys will be boys' to me. If it was just him then maybe he wouldn't have drawn, but being with a loved one changes the parameters and the obligation to protect the one you are with. If you are incapacitated who is to say what the gang would do to your loved one.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nuc65 wrote:

Maybe but when you got yours were you with your girl? It looked like one of the boys attacked the girl also.? Maybe he had the added worry about his girl, maybe they were making comments to make him worry about his girl and his own health. At the point they attack it becomes fear of imminent harm of self and another. It looked a little 'beyond boys will be boys' to me. If it was just him then maybe he wouldn't have drawn, but being with a loved one changes the parameters and the obligation to protect the one you are with. If you are incapacitated who is to say what the gang would do to your loved one.
You might be right and that's why I said I needed to see more. From what I could see, and that isn't much, it didn't look like either were in any real danger at that point. There could be a lot more to the story though.

Once the gun came out the stage was set and he didn't have any other choice.

When I got my worst beating was at JMU and yes I was with a girl. (She was a student and I wasn't) That's what the fight was about.:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Civilization coddles genes which really have no business existing, and contribute negatively to the life expectancy of their bearer.
Yellow flag thrown. Major violation - Severe understatement - loss of post and fifteen yards. :D

Yata hey

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nuc65 wrote:

You might be right and that's why I said I needed to see more. From what I could see, and that isn't much, it didn't look like either were in any real danger at that point. There could be a lot more to the story though.

When I got my worst beating was at JMU and yes I was with a girl. (She was a student and I wasn't) That's what the fight was about.:uhoh:
Did you at least get the girl? Or did you get two beatings?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nuc65 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nuc65 wrote:

Did you at least get the girl? Or did you get two beatings?
Don't remember. My usual first aid after Saturday night fights was Beer. That eased:banghead: the traumatic memories.
I'm pretty sure I didn't that night though. That was one of the fewl disagreements that ruined my boyish charm for a few weeks.

Even the broken leg incident didn't make me look like I stuck my head in a running dryer.

TFred

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
It doesn't seem to mean much but supposedly this is the shootee's (i.e. the guy that got shot) twitter feed:
http://twitter.com/eddied10
I'm getting old. I have no idea how anyone makes sense out of what gets posted there.
Well... I don't use it either... but I have lots of friends who do. Twitter is designed to primarily use cell phone text messages to allow one with a Twitter account to periodically post little status/news blurbs about whatever subject they might wish. So they are typically limited to 160 characters or less.

If you have a Twitter account, you would set it up to be associated with your own cell phone's number to receive text messages. Then you would "subscribe" to those whose "Twitters?" you want to follow, and then when they post, you get the text on your cell phone.

Obviously this is something you only want to do if you have a text friendly plan with your cell carrier. Paying 20 cents a pop adds up real fast for some of these folks.

Finally, if you don't have or wish to use your cell phone to follow along, you can just visit the web site (such as the link above) to see what the posts have been. They are date/time stamped and usually cryptic and terse to fit within that 160 character limit.

In a recent VA-ALERT update, PVC mentioned that he would be using Twitter to keep folks updated on the status of bills in the General Assembly this session. Same idea, you would "subscribe" to that account (I don't recall what he named it), then as he posts updates, you would receive them on your cell phone.

Hope that's helpful!

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
peter nap wrote:
nuc65 wrote:
It doesn't seem to mean much but supposedly this is the shootee's (i.e. the guy that got shot) twitter feed:
http://twitter.com/eddied10
I'm getting old. I have no idea how anyone makes sense out of what gets posted there.
Well... I don't use it either... but I have lots of friends who do. Twitter is designed to primarily use cell phone text messages to allow one with a Twitter account to periodically post little status/news blurbs about whatever subject they might wish. So they are typically limited to 160 characters or less.

If you have a Twitter account, you would set it up to be associated with your own cell phone's number to receive text messages. Then you would "subscribe" to those whose "Twitters?" you want to follow, and then when they post, you get the text on your cell phone.

Obviously this is something you only want to do if you have a text friendly plan with your cell carrier. Paying 20 cents a pop adds up real fast for some of these folks.

Finally, if you don't have or wish to use your cell phone to follow along, you can just visit the web site (such as the link above) to see what the posts have been. They are date/time stamped and usually cryptic and terse to fit within that 160 character limit.

In a recent VA-ALERT update, PVC mentioned that he would be using Twitter to keep folks updated on the status of bills in the General Assembly this session. Same idea, you would "subscribe" to that account (I don't recall what he named it), then as he posts updates, you would receive them on your cell phone.

Hope that's helpful!

TFred

Maybe I just have too much traffic. Our news gets posted there but I'd never see it if VCDL sent something out.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Any bets on who would have gotten the snot beat out of him if there hadn't been a gun there?
Don't know. Depends on if he knows "Kung Fu":shock:

kung-fu.gif

virginiatuck

imported post

There's always a lot of "he said, she said, he said" when the police are investigating a dispute. I highly doubt that the projectile recipient was able to communicate his side of the story to the police at the time. In fact, if the shooter was smart and remained silent, the police would have no choice but to arrest and charge him based on the facts at hand. They had to look at the facts: A man was shot, the shooter was arrested and charged. You can't really blame the police for doing that. The police did the prudent thing.

The Pennsylvania code makes it pretty clear that justification is a defense in this case and the code goes on to define limitations on justifying necessity for use of force. It's complicated enough that it's not a decision to make on the scene.

The thing that bothers me is that the media has already decided who the victim was. The writers and editors should learn that anyone charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
The thing that bothers me is that the media has already decided who the victim was. The writers and editors should learn that anyone charged with a crime is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
I thought the media always told an unbiased version of the story so that we poor sheeples could know in advance what the truth is?