• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new gun

gunman

imported post

i just bought a new gun today. and was wandering if anyone has heard of them before and any thoughts about it.i got a sccy 9mm two ten round clips it looks like a kal-tek

Bagman

imported post

I believe what you have is a Kel-Tec. Many people rate them very highly.

CarryOpen

imported post

SCCY are Kel-Tek knock-off guns. They used to be called Skyy and that's how it's pronounced. My understanding of them is that the company is helpful and has good service, but the handguns have a spotty rep for reliability. Don't know if that has improved.

hp-hobo

imported post

Bagman wrote:
I believe what you have is a Kel-Tec. Many people rate them very highly.
If the gentleman told us he just purchased a Sccy, why would you believe he has a Kel-Tec? Think much? :quirky

I have first hand personal experience with the Skyy (old spelling) CPX-1. We purchased one for my wife about two years ago to use as a CC firearm andcan honestly tell you that's it's the only brand new, non "project gun" I have ever bought that I regret owning.

Out of the box it was a good shooter with the exception of the known (but unknown to me at the time) issue with the safety switching on while firing, for us every 3-5 rounds. The gun is basically a knock off off a Kel-Tec P-11 with the addition of the safety. Unfortunately it's poorly placed and your knuckle with push it up into the on position. The company has has a long line of "fixes" for this but none really work very well. I have installed a few of their "fixes" but find my own modification works the best, at the cost of making the safety levers ugly.

At the 600ish round mark I decided to completely disassemble (metal reciever out of poly frame) the gun to see if there was any way to make the gun work with the safety totally removed. Guess what? I found the reciever cracked in five or six places. Keep in mind, this gun only had about 600 rounds through it, not 6,000. I was just happyto discover this before it blew up in her hand.

skyycrackleft.jpg

In the company's defense they had me send it back to them (at my own cost) and then they sent me a brand new gun, but only after several e-mails and phone calls. And the new gun they sent me came with the latest and greatest safety that was gauranteed to work... This time for 6-8 rounds before switching on. Even worse, where the original gun was extremely accurate for a sub-compact 9mm, the new one couldn't consistently hit the broad side of a barn from the inside.

Sorry to tell you this about your new gun, but it is what it is. I would never recommend a CPX-1 to anybody, and I'll never sell the one we have because I wouldn't want to rip anyone off.

Here are two links that may help you out. Have a great day.

http://www.sccyindustries.com/2009/

http://www.skyyforum.com/

boomer92266

imported post

i bought two cpx-1's back in early december, have put nearly 200 rds. thru one and 100 rds. thru the other not one problem at all shoots great. i called before i bought and talked to don the service tech., he said that the older models did not have good heat treatment but the new ones do. the ones with serial numbers above 25,000 have all the upgrades, he was very nice and talked to me for several minutes till all my questions were answered. he said if i needed any part except the frame to call and they would ship the part to me no charge. he said very few are coming back now just the few that slip by quality control. i have checked other gun forums before i bought the cpx, even big company's have complaints from customers. a few guns no matter the brand will have a few bad ones slip by quality control, the better company's will fix the problems to make the slips very few. the talk with don left me feeling that sccy has gottin the bugs worked out and i feel confident in carrying mine.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

boomer92266 wrote:
i bought two cpx-1's back in early december, have put nearly 200 rds. thru one and 100 rds. thru the other not one problem at all shoots great. i called before i bought and talked to don the service tech., he said that the older models did not have good heat treatment but the new ones do. the ones with serial numbers above 25,000 have all the upgrades, he was very nice and talked to me for several minutes till all my questions were answered. he said if i needed any part except the frame to call and they would ship the part to me no charge. he said very few are coming back now just the few that slip by quality control. i have checked other gun forums before i bought the cpx, even big company's have complaints from customers. a few guns no matter the brand will have a few bad ones slip by quality control, the better company's will fix the problems to make the slips very few. the talk with don left me feeling that sccy has gottin the bugs worked out and i feel confident in carrying mine.
Certainly there are guns of preference in varying price ranges, that being said and accepted, I will not trust any handgun until I have put at least 300 rds thru it without any problems and determined that it will digest my choice of carry ammo in the same manner.

Well built and economical is good.

Strong factory support/warranty is great.

Reliability is absolutely priceless - there is NO substitute.

Yata hey

TehGruu

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
...Well built and economical is good.

Strong factory support/warranty is great.

Reliability is absolutely priceless - there is NO substitute.

Yata hey

This.

-Gruu

boomer92266

imported post

i have now put 400rds thru my cpx-1, its still flawless and i depend on it. now that being said if i could afford a glock or smith i would have got them cause the sccy does have recoil that will get to you if you shoot alot. however i beleive its the best gun in that price range, a friend of mine has a kel-tec p11 its also been reliable but the sccy has a smoother trigger and is more accurate. if anyone buys a sccy be sure to get to ones above 25,000 #'s, don said that they have the new safety as well as the new frame, also if you don't like the safety they now have a kit that locks it on fire and won't move. its free just call them and they will mail it out to you. if you get a older model sccy will upgrade it for you for free.so my reccomendation is if all you can afford like me is about $300 then the sccy is the best gun i know of, i would rate it higher than kel-tec with what mine has done, but kel-tec is a good choice as well. if you can afford to save longer then do, i can't being on a fixed income i barely saved the 300. i would have love to got a ruger p95 which was $50 more than the sccy but its to large for me to conceal as i'm a small guy. open carry would be great tho. thanks

DangerClose

Updates?

i bought two cpx-1's back in early december, have put nearly 200 rds. thru one and 100 rds. thru the other not one problem at all shoots great. i called before i bought and talked to don the service tech., he said that the older models did not have good heat treatment but the new ones do. the ones with serial numbers above 25,000 have all the upgrades,

Any SCCY updates out there? It seems like they've been on the right track lately, so figured I'd ask if anyone has any reliability comments and things.

Kel-tec P11 can take bigger, 5096 mags. I read of one guy using a 5096 mag in the SCCY after enlarging the hole on it, but he's the only one I've heard of. I'd probably buy a SCCY right now if I could guarantee using a 15-round mag in it.

Can a mod add "SCCY CPX" to the thread title so people know what this thread is about?