• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Martin Luther King Day

TFred

imported post

As is usually the case, anti-gunners are again this year using Martin Luther King Day as a convenient excuse to attempt to shame pro-RKBA interests. How could we possibly be in favor of anything gun related on such a day that honors the great, non-violent, Dr. Martin Luther King?

What these dispicable folks would rather you never know is that Dr. King was indeed in favor of self-defense. In his speech titled Nonviolence: The Only Road to Freedom, given on May 4, 1966, Dr. King said (with my emphasis added):

There are many people who very honestly raise the question of self-defense. This must be placed in perspective. It goes without saying that people will protect their homes. This is a right guaranteed by the Constitution and respected even in the worst areas of the South. But the mere protection of one's home and person against assault by lawless night riders does not provide any positive approach to the fears and conditions which produce violence.
Obviously Dr. King was fighting the evils of that day on a different plain than mere physical protection, and that was the point of this particular speech. But as a part of this fight, he assumed it was normal, beyond question, that one would protect their own homes and by implication, families and loved ones, from that violence.

On this day which we set aside to remember and honor a man who gave all he had to give to the cause he held most dear, let's also remember that he was a like-thinker when it came to our right to keep and bear arms, and especially to protect our lives and those of our loved ones from those who would do us harm.

TFred

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wonderful post, TFred.

I, too, am amazed at the attempt by anti-gunners to paint a non-existent dichotomy between Dr. King and those of us who exercise our freedoms.

There is no dichotomy.

Dr. King was exercising his freedoms under the law. He was doing so peacefully.

We are exercising our freedoms under the law. We are doing so peacefully.

Whether those freedoms are to peacefully assemble, to march in protest, to exercise free speech, to bear arms, or to be whatever race we happen to be makes no difference whatsoever.

We are all citizens of this country, and we are all exercising our rights within it.

RIP, Dr. King. You're dream is indeed alive and well.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
I have as much interest in black history as blacks have interest in white history.

Just another 3-day weekend with no mail or package delievies...how inconvenient.

-- John D.

Blacks have more interest in white history than you might think. In actuality, black or white history is a misnomer. It's called, History. It's an all inclusive affair, you have to take it all in or just be apathetic to it.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
I have as much interest in black history as blackshave interestin white history.

Just another 3-day weekend withno mail or package delievies...how inconvenient.

-- John D.

Blacks have more interest in white history than you might think. In actuality, black or white history is a misnomer. It's called, History. It's an all inclusive affair, you have to take it all in or just be apathetic to it.
i might agree with you, if that BLACK History month did not exist, but thats ok, they get a month we get the rest of the year. oh, pardon me, was in being pc incorect ?:lol:

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
I have as much interest in black history as blacks have interest in white history.

Just another 3-day weekend with no mail or package delievies...how inconvenient.

-- John D.

i might agree with you, if that  BLACK History month did not exist, but thats ok, they get a month we get the rest of the year. oh, pardon me, was in being pc incorect ?:lol:

Nothing politically incorrect there.

Black History month, in my opinion and in the opinion of some others "like me" is a bit ridiculous. You may find quite a few of us that find it a little unnecessary, particularly these days, as it was done more or less as a way of attempting to dispel perceived uselessness of blacks in America (Canada and the UK observe it as well, but during other months of the year). It is a bit irrelevant these days as "black history" in America, is American History, period. We're all tied together.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
tekshogun wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
I have as much interest in black history as blackshave interestin white history.

Just another 3-day weekend withno mail or package delievies...how inconvenient.

-- John D.

i might agree with you, if that BLACK History month did not exist, but thats ok, they get a month we get the rest of the year. oh, pardon me, was in being pc incorect ?:lol:

Nothing politically incorrect there.

Black History month, in my opinion and in the opinion of some others "like me" is a bit ridiculous. You may find quite a few of us that find it a little unnecessary, particularly these days, as it was done more or less as a way of attempting to dispel perceived uselessness of blacks in America (Canada and the UK observe it as well, but during other months of the year). It is a bit irrelevant these days as "black history" in America, is American History, period. We're all tied together.
I am not a very racist guy,ive had many friends in the Army that were darker pigmented than me & at the Hip Hop club I bounce at sometimes ,I also have lots of friends there too that are also darker pigmented than me ( i can't stand, calling someone a Black Guy / white guy..maybe someday we will all movepast thatand just call him a Guy....but i can't stand the hypocracy & double standards that having a black history month creates...like they are `special they get their own month. yet, Blacks in America want to be treated equally, then get rid of that silly month & stop demanding to be treated specially.....I am of European desent ,, second generation Americanborn in the 1970 so i don't owe anyone a appology for slavery, the African American community needs to stop asking for reperations & appologies from the slavery days. i mean it's 2010for cripes sake.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I am not a very racist guy,ive had many friends in the Army that were darker pigmented than me & at the Hip Hop club I bounce at sometimes ,I also have lots of friends there too that  are also darker pigmented than me ( i can't stand, calling someone a Black Guy / white guy..maybe someday we will all move past that and just call him a Guy.... but i can't stand the hypocracy & double standards that having a black history month creates...like they are `special they get their own month.  yet, Blacks in America want to be treated equally, then get rid of that silly month & stop demanding to be treated specially.....I am of European desent ,, second generation American born in the 1970 so i don't owe anyone a appology for slavery, the African American community needs to stop asking for reperations & appologies from the slavery days. i mean it's 2010 for cripes sake. 

Well, I'm glad you're not a very racist guy :lol:

However, the much of the black community does not want reparations, they do not want apologies, and yes, it is 2010, most of us don't want to be lumped in a group that only a few people speak for. We don't all believe that the man is out to get us, the south (where I am from and live) is not a Jim Crow south anymore (thank goodness, yes I still have to live by laws created under Jim Crow policies). We still have to deal with injustices (racism on all sides) but the sensible people, of all demographics, are fighting against that and the people that trample on other's civil rights get dealt with publicly. No hypocrisy or double-standards here, I say, lets move on indeed, many of us already have.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Thank you for reasonable posts Tekshogun and I agree. I like Dr. Martin Luther King because he was about equality across the board no special treatments for anyone Man, Woman, Black, White.

It saddens me that some of these so called leaders of the Black community seem to actually be fostering many ideals opposite of Dr. Kings. I believe we are one community and our histories are intrinsincly one history. I try not to use the term race, it is a misnomer we are one race the human race. All genetically linked and there is no such thing as "pure" anything.

Dr. King has taught us lessons we all can use in trying to fight for what we believe is right. Like open carry, and gun rights and that it takes action not idly sitting by and waiting for the government or the courts or a rights organization to do it for us.

Besides who couldn't use an extra day off?:pOh wait I am self employed and worked today.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
I am not a very racist guy,ive had many friends in the Army that were darker pigmented than me & at the Hip Hop club I bounce at sometimes ,I also have lots of friends there too that are also darker pigmented than me ( i can't stand, calling someone a Black Guy / white guy..maybe someday we will all movepast thatand just call him a Guy....but i can't stand the hypocracy & double standards that having a black history month creates...like they are `special they get their own month. yet, Blacks in America want to be treated equally, then get rid of that silly month & stop demanding to be treated specially.....I am of European desent ,, second generation Americanborn in the 1970 so i don't owe anyone a appology for slavery, the African American community needs to stop asking for reperations & appologies from the slavery days. i mean it's 2010for cripes sake.

Well, I'm glad you're not a very racist guy :lol:

However, the much of the black community does not want reparations, they do not want apologies, and yes, it is 2010, most of us don't want to be lumped in a group that only a few people speak for. We don't all believe that the man is out to get us, the south (where I am from and live) is not a Jim Crow south anymore (thank goodness, yes I still have to live by laws created under Jim Crow policies). We still have to deal with injustices (racism on all sides) but the sensible people, of all demographics, are fighting against that and the people that trample on other's civil rights get dealt with publicly. No hypocrisy or double-standards here, I say, lets move on indeed, many of us already have.
stop laughing at me.:D i agree with what you are saying. yup, move and and continue fighting the good fight.