• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feb 6th Walnut Creek Meetup: New Location...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

andys wrote:
Hello Guys and Gals

I am new to this UOC and would like to attend the Feb 6th meeting in walnut creek. do you all ever meet out in antioch or brentwood ?
Yes. There is a meet in Antioch today. Expect added scrutiny if you ask to attend the Walnut Creek meet because you are new.

andys

imported post

Hmmmm I didn't mean to throw up a alarm here. I just found out about about UOC and would like to exersise my right to carry and this place looks like a great place to start getting the correct info

Killjoy

imported post

Folks,

Do you need a holster for your weapon?

There is a Code of the West gun show at the Vallejo Fairgrounds today and tomorrow. It's until 5pm today, and 9am until 4pm tomorrow.

I'll be in attendance tomorrow to try to find a holster for my Beretta 92FS Centurian.

Thanks.

Killjoy

imported post

Livermoron wrote:
Good Advice:

If you are buying a holster - make sure it is a "Active Retention" holster (like the Blackhawk Serpa or similar).

Carry On!

Livermoron :cool:
Thanks for the tip.

Cameron

imported post

andys wrote:
i have a glock with a fobus gl2 holster and on there site it says passive. will this holster do ???

I am not familiar with the Fobus GL2; however, It's not about whether or not it will "do". It is about making sure that you always have control over your firearm. Retention systems in general help to hinder the firearm from falling out on its own and to hinder them being removed by another party. This being said, passive retention typically is just a clip that hooks the firearm in, such that if you bend over it will not fall out, but it doesn't really have any security behind it.

The Blackhawk Level 2 Serpa holster has a button on the side which must be depressed before even attempting to unholster the firearm or it will be locked in place and cannot be unholstered. This might lead you to believe that it will slow your drawing, but the Blackhawk is well laid out and it seems to be very natural for the wearer to operate. The Blackhawk Serpa is really the only retention holster that I have used for any significant time, so you may wish to look at your options before deciding on a holster, but I do entirely agree with Livermoron in that it's a good idea to have. Always best to be on the safe side.

Many reviews of the Blackhawk and other retention holsters are available on the internet and may help give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Along the same lines, I would also recommend a holster which requires being looped through the belt loops, rather than a paddle holster. Just personal preference....

crash5150

imported post

Cameron wrote
The Blackhawk Level 2 Serpa holster has a button on the side which must be depressed before even attempting to unholster the firearm or it will be locked in place and cannot be unholstered. This might lead you to believe that it will slow your drawing, but the Blackhawk is well laid out and it seems to be very natural for the wearer to operate. The Blackhawk Serpa is really the only retention holster that I have used for any significant time, so you may wish to look at your options before deciding on a holster, but I do entirely agree with Livermoron in that it's a good idea to have. Always best to be on the safe side.
+1
I like the Serpa holster for my CCW carry. Quick to draw with.

Superlite27

imported post

Hey, I've got a suggestion for vetting low post count members who "Just heard of this site and would like to attend a "meet up".

How about a photo of them OC'ing (Whoops! Sorry Californians!) UOC'ing at a public venue? Carrying at the mall, a grocery store, or a restaraunt. (Your back yard, or you, alone on a sidewalk doesn't count.)

While this may allow a "plant" by law enforcement, it will definately weed out those Brady nuts,or any other anti who wants the location for information mining rather than honest camraderie.

You really an OCDO supporter and want the location of our next meet? Let's see a pic of you "walking the walk" instead of just talking the talk.

Just a suggestion from the peanut gallery.

Added: Of course, verifying that this is actually them instead of a snatched photo of another UOC'er comes into play.

Another tactic similar to the good one Livermoron is using is to have a "pre-meeting". Release the location of the "pre-meeting" to anyone who wants it, and only determine the location of the UOC event at that meeting.

For instance: "Hey we're having a UOC meet-up on "such and such" a date. We'll all meet in the parking lot of "such and such" place at "such and such" time to discuss where we're going."

Then at that parking lot where everyone UOC's (hence, must not be an anti-gunner) you all agree to go to "such and such" place for dinner.

"Plants" here on the site may show up to the parking lot, but unless they too, are UOC'ing, it will become fairly obvious when the new guy "ooops! forgot my gun!" or "Oh, I just left it in the car!"......No UOC at the "pre-meeting"/ no get location of dinner meeting. And, if they don't show at the dinner, while a bunch of loitering cops do (before you get there instead of the normal "reaction time". They're gonna show upeventually, you just have to watch how long.) You got your man. (or woman) Screen name, face, and all.

This may add a layer of unwanted logistical tom-foolery, but will add a layer of comfort in that you know the only people whoare aware ofwhere you are going are those who you want to know.

1245A Defender

imported post

there isnt really anything you can do to vet a member beyond knowing them from the reading of their posts over time....

anybody that wants to fake-up a persona of an OCer could do it with ease!!

take me, for instance, ive got posts,, ive got pics,, im a promoter,, but im in washington,, im glad i dont have to do california,, but i feel your pain,, i would be proud to UOC with you guys, but i will stay home and OC with my guys...

the day will come,,, we will all OC together!!!!

and CC too!!

SouthBayr

imported post

I always thought it was the meetups that were the best opportunity for a "newb" to do their first UOC, surrounded by veterans??

My first UOC meet I didn't carry, my second one I did. Now I UOC solo on occasion.

SFWD 1934

imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
I always thought it was the meetups that were the best opportunity for a "newb" to do their first UOC, surrounded by veterans??

My first UOC meet I didn't carry, my second one I did. Now I UOC solo on occasion.

That is what/how I thought about it too. I'll keep an eye out and try to get more involved, time permitting, with some of the meets.

Jason