• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self Defense

Rusty

imported post

I don't know what the opinions of the other people on this forum are with regards to that question. I do not speak for them.

As far as all the laws with regards to self defense. I don't know them all, and I agree it would be nice to see some kind of document that puts them all together. I think the problem is, there are so many different situations that you might find yourself in, it would be hard to cover them all.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

rosemonter wrote:
...I want to know the law, I want fact, not personal opinion of if it will most likely get you arrested.
The law is pretty clear... and it says that each situation will be judged by a jury of your peers. Even asking an attorney is only going to get you an opinion at best.

While the penal code says using deadly force is acceptable to deter any felony against you or your property, it is my understanding case law has changed this. (Sorry, no direct citations, but you can see my discussion of the topic here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/3842.html .)

rosemonter

imported post

Rusty wrote:
I don't know what the opinions of the other people on this forum are with regards to that question. I do not speak for them.

As far as all the laws with regards to self defense. I don't know them all, and I agree it would be nice to see some kind of document that puts them all together. I think the problem is, there are so many different situations that you might find yourself in, it would be hard to cover them all.

It might be hard to cover, but there is no time like the present to get something like this started. If we are going to have an armed public we need to have an educated public, as well. I for one think exercising our second amendment right is important, but just telling people they can arm them selfs and how to do it--without breaking the law, seems a little irresponsible.

rosemonter

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
rosemonter wrote:
...I want to know the law, I want fact, not personal opinion of if it will most likely get you arrested.
The law is pretty clear... and it says that each situation will be judged by a jury of your peers. Even asking an attorney is only going to get you an opinion at best.

While the penal code says using deadly force is acceptable to deter any felony against you or your property, it is my understanding case law has changed this. (Sorry, no direct citations, but you can see my discussion of the topic here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/3842.html .)

A well educated opinion is better than a some what educated opinion. I really appreciate your opinions none the less, especially if they're educated.
Thank you for the link.

rosemonter

imported post

Also, which felonies or are all felonies considered reason enough? Because, theft is one, and so is assault and battery...

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I used to live in California, and my take on it based on the laws at the time (1989-1991) was always:

1. Avoid conflict, if at all possible.

2 If that's not possible, defend yourself appropriately.

By "appropriately," at the time, guns in the home were allowed, and CCW was impossible to get.

Yeah, me, a TS+ clearance with a 15-year background check andauthorized to work with nukes, yet I couldn't get a CCW.

<forehead smack> One of the reasons I decided to never retire in Califorinia.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote: .
The law is pretty clear... and it says that each situation will be judged by a jury of your peers.

In all 50 states, you have the right to defend yourself. Do so. Just please know by what means and to what extent is acceptible in your locale. Call your local LE official if you are unsure.

rosemonter

imported post

since9 wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote: .
The law is pretty clear... and it says that each situation will be judged by a jury of your peers.

In all 50 states, you have the right to defend yourself.  Do so.  Just please know by what means and to what extent is acceptible in your locale.  Call your local LE official if you are unsure.

From all that I've been able to read thus far, and I've been reading nonstop for a couple weeks now, it doesn't seem as if LEO's are experts on the law that concerns such issues. I have to admit this seems as if it would be the best place for such answers, however all the answers I've seen from most LEO's are very subjective and are more in lines with pushing their own personal non-objective view points rather that fact. It's great that we all know our second amendment right to bear arm's and do it legally here in california, but it's very sad that(it seems, given the lack of solid fact, or the closest thing to fact possible, thus an objective answer) we don't know exactly how to use our weapons in a legal fashion except for cases of an extreme nature. And, even then it seems that we've chosen to ignore some of the wording in the laws. For examples, the resisting of a felony, this needs to be clarified. As does the rest of the law in regards to when it is appropriate to use your weapon, be it in a non-deadly fashion or a deadly one. No one has been able to give me a solid, definitive answer... WTF!

CA_Libertarian has been very helpful and obviously has had the same thoughts that I have had, but doesn't seem to have arrived much farther than I have with answering such questions.

Why don't we have a more hands on approach?
We could have seminars to train people on how and when to use their weapons. I bet my fur we could get some uniformed LEO's as well as off duty LEO's to participate. This us against them has to stop and we need to come together. So, we have to find a way to include them in the process. This would be one way and there are a lot more. Get the NRA involved, get everyone involved that is for what we are for, it makes sense.

rosemonter

imported post

Thank you to all of those whom took the time to respond and help me with my questions... However, I'm very let down by open carry.org I do understand your main goal is to exercise your 2A rights, but your reach is very short sighted and needs to include lots more information. I mean, it's great that you're informing the public that they can legally bear arms and you're giving the info on how to do that, but they need to know when it is appropriate to use their weapon. No one has been able to give a solid answer to these questions.
Obviously, you have a solid grasp on the law as far as it concerns carrying your weapon but the rest is up for grabs?
Come on! I'm not surprised you're getting so much resistance to your movement. I don't want people running around with guns that do not have the proper training(knowing how to shoot your gun isn't proper training, nor is basic safety) and know the law. Can't you see where this is going to lead to problems, especially if your movement gains a huge following? If you're properly trained as a lot of you claim(which you obviously aren't otherwise you would have a firm enough grasp of these laws to and be able to break it down, like it was second nature) to be then you should share your knowledge to the fullest degree possible.
I'm very disappointed.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

rosemonter wrote:
In all 50 states, you have the right to defend yourself. Do so. Just please know by what means and to what extent is acceptible in your locale. Call your local LE official if you are unsure.

From all that I've been able to read thus far, and I've been reading nonstop for a couple weeks now, it doesn't seem as if LEO's are experts on the law that concerns such issues. I have to admit this seems as if it would be the best place for such answers, however all the answers I've seen from most LEO's are very subjective and are more in lines with pushing their own personal non-objective view points rather that fact...
+1

This newbie is wise beyond his post count.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

rosemonter wrote:
Thank you to all of those whom took the time to respond and help me with my questions... However, I'm very let down by open carry.org I do understand your main goal is to exercise your 2A rights, but your reach is very short sighted and needs to include lots more information. I mean, it's great that you're informing the public that they can legally bear arms and you're giving the info on how to do that, but they need to know when it is appropriate to use their weapon. No one has been able to give a solid answer to these questions.
Obviously, you have a solid grasp on the law as far as it concerns carrying your weapon but the rest is up for grabs?
Come on! I'm not surprised you're getting so much resistance to your movement. I don't want people running around with guns that do not have the proper training(knowing how to shoot your gun isn't proper training, nor is basic safety) and know the law. Can't you see where this is going to lead to problems, especially if your movement gains a huge following? If you're properly trained as a lot of you claim(which you obviously aren't otherwise you would have a firm enough grasp of these laws to and be able to break it down, like it was second nature) to be then you should share your knowledge to the fullest degree possible.
I'm very disappointed.
OK, I'll break it down for you (again):

A jury of your peers will determine if you...
  • reasonably feared immediate, grave danger of death or great bodily harm
  • use minimal force to stop the threat (including ending the use of force when the threat is gone - e.g. attacker is fleeing)
There is nothing else to grasp! There are no cement rules to describe every possible situation where self defense may be needed. That's why we have juries... to interpret situations and determine how the law applies to the circumstances.

Perhaps the only cement rule to grasp is:
  • It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
IMO, that means: "you should use deadly force any time your fear of injury/death outweighs your fear of prosecution for that use of deadly force."

(None of this is legal advice, IANAL, etc.)

inbox485

imported post

rosemonter wrote:
Okay, say you're walking along and someone decides to attempt stealing your bag, laptop, bicycle, something of great value. Would it be legal to pull your weapon and load it(but not use), in order to prevent this crime.

Absolutely. For your review, consider reading the following penal code sections:
PC 147: Brandishing permitted in self defense
PC 12031(j)(1): Loaded firearm exception for immediate threat to person or property
PC 197(1): Homicide is justifiable in resisting an attempt to commit a felony.

A note on PC 197. The wording doesn't carry the weight it did in the 19th century. The homicide generally needs to be somehow related to preserving life to be justified. You can't shoot somebody for commiting a non violent felony, but under the right circumstances, you can shoot a felon if they present a deadly threat in the commission of the felony, while resisting apprehension or if it is likely that they will harm yourself or others if not immediately stopped. Under no circumstances is the homicide justified if the force used is deemed excessive of what was necessary to stop the threat of violence. Expect the most narrow application of the law to be applied.

And, say that the person doesn't have a weapon. What if a person is verbally assaulting you, approaching you with the intent to physically hurt you, they don't have a weapon. Is it legal to pull your weapon and load it(not use it) to protect yourself?

If they don't have a weapon in hand and they are approaching you in that manner:
1 - Assume they have a weapon
2 - Look for any bulge, print, or potential place of concealment where a weapon could be without being visible and consider any stretch of the imagination that a weapon is present
3 - Consider the aggressor's stature and if a potential disparity of force exists
4 - Consider their potential to gain control of your weapon and use it against you
Finally - whatever the goal, their tactic is to assume you won't draw on an unarmed attacker until it is too late. They intend to harm you. You are on the receiving end of what is called violence of action. Violence of action is extremely effective. Being on the receiving end of it is a horrible place to be. I cannot stress enough the peril you would be in if you were to find yourself in that type of situation. There is a reason that type of situation would be rare and unreasonable to even most criminals.

The same statutes above apply here. Once there is an immediate threat to person or property you can load. Once their is an immediate threat of great bodily harm you can brandish. In most cases that comes to mind, loading and brandishing will be one and the same.

These are the kind of scenario's that I think most people need to know about.

I'm mostly interested in the use of a gun for prevention and protection of or from crime.

I still have more questions...

=]

Final thoughts. In both examples you considered, you specify that you wouldn't use the gun by which I assume you mean shoot. This isn't directed so much at you as it is commentary in general: don't carry anything you wouldn't use. Both cases you suggest are so close to already being justifiable homicides that the difference comes down to the circumstances. If you pull a gun to prevent a theft, be ready for the same lethal response you would give to an attacker pulling a gun on you. If somebody is attacking you personally after seeing a gun on your hip, assume they intend to kill you with your own gun - if they get close enough to wrestle with you, it may be too late.

inbox485

imported post

rosemonter wrote:
Also, which felonies or are all felonies considered reason enough? Because, theft is one, and so is assault and battery...

I touched on this in my other post, but basically, you can use deadly force to resist a felony when that level of force is not excessive.

This should give you some better perspective on the matter:
http://llr.lls.edu/volumes/v36-issue4/documents/9selfdefense.pdf

Regarding the term "resist", think of it this way:

If you use more force than necessary to to prevent bodily harm, you exceed resistance and become an aggressor. So as long as there is not a lethal threat and non-lethal means of resisting a felony attempt or apprehending a felon exist, you must use them first. These means would include long drawn out investigations and eventually arresting the felon at a later date.

Robin47

imported post

Don't know if this will help, but here goes :

3 years ago I went to see the Captain of police, and ask some questions the same as here.

Self- defense ETC. He said " Brandishing was pointing a gun at some one , or in a threatening manor, but you can draw your gun and point it at the ground, or hold it near your head about a foot away pointing it in the air, as if to say "See I have a gun", do you really want trouble ?

This is not brandishing , as its not pointing " At the Person". Its a precautionary move for self-defense.

Also you have "No Duty to Retreat" People v. Newcomer,(1897) 118 Cal.263,273.

http://www.shouselaw.com/self-defense.html

Hope this helps ! :celebrate Robin47

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Robin47 wrote:
...He said " Brandishing was pointing a gun at some one , or in a threatening manor, but you can draw your gun and point it at the ground, or hold it near your head about a foot away pointing it in the air, as if to say "See I have a gun", do you really want trouble ?

This is not brandishing , as its not pointing " At the Person". Its a precautionary move for self-defense.

Without seeing some case law to support the above, I'd be cautious about even gesturing toward or touching your firearm in any threatening manner.

PC 417 says nothing about having to point the firearm at another person. Just two components: display the firearm AND do so in an angry, threatening, etc manner.

I'vesee someone arrestedunder that PC where they were in an argument and simply lifted their shirt to expose a concealed firearm while challenging another person to a fight. (Theperson doing the brandishing in this instance was a DOJ employee of some sort, and was carrying legally when he decided a drunken bar fight was a good idea.)

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I have found this book to be very informative.

"How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail: What You Need to Know About the Law If You Own a Gun or Are Thinking of Buying One : California Edition 2008"

It has a very comprehensive section on the use of self-defense, with citations.

Having said that, I think the bottom line is that each incident is going to be unique and no hard and fast rules exist which will cover all possibilities.
It seems that the OP received lots of excellent guidance, but still seemed to consider us (OCDO) to be too ignorant to be trusted with guns.

Robin47

imported post

Yeah you could go to another police captain and he woud nail you to a cross,

if you did what the other captain did.

I guess we just need to let the BG shoot us first, then we can defend our selfs !

I still think the "Idea" is displaying your firearm in a "threatening manor".

I jury trial would have to make the final decision.

:what: Robin47