• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on college campuses

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

Legato wrote:
So my CCW instructor told me permitless unloaded open carry is legal in public colleges. He told me to review 76-10-505.5, that it's in there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure section 3a ("otherwise authorized by law") or even 3c permits permitless unloaded open carry.
I wish that I believed that your instructor were correct, but as I read 76-10-505.5, there does not appear to be any general authorization for permitless UOC in a Utah GFSZ outside of your vehicle, property, place of residence, orbusiness. Claiming a vague exemption under (3)(a) or (3)(c) seems like putting yourself onthe fast track to getting convicted of a class A misdemeanor.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Correct 76-10-505.5 exempts you if you have a valid CCW without a valid permit you would be in violation of the law.

Their are pre-schools and the Jewish community center also schools attend the Dinosaur Museum.

It would be a hard fight in court as well.

However I do not agree with UUPD stating you can not open carry with a valid permit. Maybe the 2nd Amendment students can work on that

swillden

imported post

Legato wrote:
So my CCW instructor told me permitless unloaded open carry is legal in public colleges. He told me to review 76-10-505.5, that it's in there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure section 3a ("otherwise authorized by law") or even 3c permits permitless unloaded open carry.
Your instructor is giving you bad advice.

Section 3a only says that if some other place in the law specifically authorizes you to carry, then you can. You'd better find the statute that says you're good before you try it (I know the Utah Code pretty well, and I don't know of any such statute).

Section 3c says you can carry as part of an "approved activity", which in this context means approved by the school administration. It would appear that 3c is redundant, since 3b already says you can carry with administrative approval, but the rationale is that 3c allows participants in school-authorized firearms-related events to carry guns without having to get specific approval each time.

Without a CFP, or approval by the school, or a law enforcement badge, it's a class B misdemeanor to carry within 1000 feet of any school in Utah, pre-school through post-secondary (e.g. college).