• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to N.C.

James

imported post

I am renting a house at Lake Norman in April for a week. I have a CCP from West Virginia. Anything I should know before bringing my handgun into N.C.?

Dreamer

imported post

I live in NC, and have a NC CHP, but I have a lot of family in WV (Northern Panhandle) so I have studied both sets of laws pretty closely. I'll give you my take on the differences, but please remember IANAL, and my advise is worth exactly as much as you payed for it... ;)

If you're going to CC, the rules are a little different here. In NC, you cannot carry--in ANY mode (OC or CC) in ANY establushment that serves alcohol for consumption on-premise. That means any restaurant or bar that serves beer, wine, or liquor. No Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, or Pizza Huts, etc.

You CAN, however, carry (CC or OC) in restaruants that do not serve alcohol, like most "fast food" joints, or places like Cracker Barrel.

You CAN carry in a grocery store that sells beer and wine though, because they don't sell for consumption on-premise. (as long as that store is not "posted", and most of them aren't)

In the city of Cary you can't carry OC or CC on city property, and that includes the public roadways and sidewalks.

In Durham, you can't carry any forearm with a barrel shorter than 3".

You can't carry in any State or Federal government building or property, an you can't carry in ANY building that houses a jail (many City government buildings also have jails in them, so BE AWARE)

You can't carry on school property, that includes elementary, high schools AND colleges and universities, so if you're driving around in the big cities (most of which have at least one college) be VERY careful which streets you turn down, or which parking lots you use.

You CAN NOT CC in banks. Technically, it is legal to OC in a bank (as long as it it not "posted") but there is rampant misunderstanding of this law among both LEOs and Bank Staff, so it's probably best to just avoid going into any bank building if you are carrying. Ue the drive-through. (I've talked with the State Attorney General's office on this, and they said that you CAN legally carry in a drive-through or at a drive-through ATM, as long as the entire property isn't posted at the entrances to the parking lots)

You CAN NOT carry (OC or CC) in any establishment or event that charges admission. This includes movie theaters, amusement parks, or fairs/carnivals.

The rural parts of NC are VERY open-minded about OC. Generally you won't even get a second look, from citizens or LEO's. The "urban" areas can be a different story altogether. I've OCed in Raleigh, Fayetteville, Greenville and Jacksonville with no problem whatsoever. But YMMV, depending on your looks, dress, and manner.

If you are CC and approached by an LEO in an "official manner" (like a traffic stop) you MUST inform him that you have a CHP and are carrying at FIRST contact. Don't show him your gun, don't move around. Don't even reach for your wallet if it's in your back pants pocket. Just say "Officer, I need to inform you that I have a WV Concealed Handgun License, and I am currently carrying." then keep your hands on the wheel and wait for him to further instruct you as to what HE wants you to do. (He'll probably then ask for your permit and DL and vehicle registration)

Go to the NC AG's website and download their PDF about NC Firearms Laws (the link is in the text about 2/3 down the page):

http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/19be6294-bfbf-4875-bbef-ac2ebb6f47b2/2-6-3-6-3-Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

Hopefully if I missed anything important, someone else will chime in.

I hope you enjoy your trip to NC. I grew up in WV, and I've lived in NC for about 4 years. I really like it here.

chiefjason

imported post

Here is a good site to check out. I'm sure, since you are asking, that you know you are responsible for following NC law while here.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

If you choose to OC, just consider the places that are off limits to CC to be off limits to OC and that will keep you out of trouble.

Dreamer, FYI you can CC on the sidewalks in Cary but no OC. Double check the city website. They removed that restriction after I pointed out to them it went against the uniformity code for CC.

wylde007

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
and you can't carry in ANY building that houses a jail (many City government buildings also have jails in them, so BE AWARE)
Oops.:shock:

When I swore a warrant in Hyde Co. on Ocracoke I'm pretty sure I was OC and they didn't even bat an eye.

James

imported post

Excuse me for revisiting this but, when traveling into North Carolina where should I keep my weapon in the car. I read this and am confused, "
[align=left]It is for these reasons, that when transporting a[/align]
[align=left]weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and[/align]
[align=left]within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how[/align]
[align=left]to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon[/align]
[align=left]concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of the automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed[/align]
[align=left]and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of our law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as,[/align]
[align=left]under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; in an unlocked glove compartment; or in some[/align]
[align=left]other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. A previous opinion[/align]
[align=left]from this office was that a weapon would not be concealed if it were placed in a locked glove compartment,[/align]
[align=left]unless the key to the glove compartment was in the lock and the person was in close proximity and had ready[/align]
[align=left]access to it. A concern with this mode of transportation however is that it is quite susceptible to different[/align]
interpretations, based on the various factors involved.

Sig45man

imported post

James wrote:
Excuse me for revisiting this but, when traveling into North Carolina where should I keep my weapon in the car. I read this and am confused, "

[align=left]It is for these reasons, that when transporting a[/align]

[align=left]weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and[/align]

[align=left]within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how[/align]

[align=left]to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon[/align]

[align=left]concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of the automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed[/align]

[align=left]and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of our law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as,[/align]

[align=left]under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; in an unlocked glove compartment; or in some[/align]

[align=left]other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. A previous opinion[/align]

[align=left]from this office was that a weapon would not be concealed if it were placed in a locked glove compartment,[/align]

[align=left]unless the key to the glove compartment was in the lock and the person was in close proximity and had ready[/align]

[align=left]access to it. A concern with this mode of transportation however is that it is quite susceptible to different[/align]
interpretations, based on the various factors involved.
Simply put,handguns, loaded or unloaded, on the seat or dashboard, or anywhere in plain view, are legal in North Carolina. If you conceal it, please be sure that your have your CCW (if you have one) and if you are stopped for any reason, keep your hands on the wheel and advise the officer that you have a concealed handgun and a CCW permit. If you dont have a CCW, then please............dont conceal it in the vehicle where you would have ready access to it. If you lock it up in the trunk or in tool box where you do not have ready access to it, you are fine.

Sam

imported post

Does not need to be locked if you have a CCP. Can be concealed and ready to use if you have a conceal permit.

B

bgreene89

imported post

Sam wrote:
Does not need to be locked if you have a CCP. Can be concealed and ready to use if you have a conceal permit.
Me and My Dad run a gun shop in Ayden,N.C.. I have recently looked up all handguns laws for OC for myself. Correct me if I am wrong but there is no law in the state of NC or Federal that says the gun has to be out of the reach, Or that it cannot be ready to use when OC or CC and there also is no law saying it cannot be loaded.

elixin77

imported post

bgreene89 wrote:
Sam wrote:
Me and My Dad run a gun shop in Ayden,N.C.. I have recently looked up all handguns laws for OC for myself. Correct me if I am wrong but there is no law in the state of NC or Federal that says the gun has to be out of the reach, Or that it cannot be ready to use when OC or CC and there also is no law saying it cannot be loaded.

I'm fairly positive you are correct. If you do not have a CC permit, then it must be in plain sight (passenger chair or dashboard), loaded or unloaded is up to you. If you do have a CC permit, then i'd just keep it holstered, or put it on the seat next to you

Sam

imported post

Agreed, what I meant was with a CCP it can be concealed and not locked up. Without if it is concealed it needs to be locked up and as far out of reach as possible from any passenger.