• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling in Southwest Texas... need info/

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I normally OC and don't give it much thought here, but...

I'll be going to Van Horn... passing thru ElPaso (I-10). I have a validArizona CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit). I'll be carrying a 1911 in a vertical shoulder holster or a leather concealment vest. I usually have another pistol of some type in the glove box. CWP's alsoinclude knives.

Ok... so my questions are:

1. What can I expect if I get stopped for anything? Should I divulge I'm carrying as a courtesy (as I do here) or keep my yap shut?

2. Close to the border or when traversing long stretches of desert (here) I normally carry a long gun (EBR carbine or shotgun). My normal EBR is a bottom folder AK clone. The normal shotgun is a 18" Rem 870 with a pistol grip. I have an enclosed carry bag for one and a scabbard for the other. I suspectthat'd be more of a possible liability than an assetupon entering Texas tho. Any thoughts?

3. Pistol in the glove box... 'holster' required on that or not?

4. Rest stops... restaurants that may sell alcohol. Legality of carryng concealed in the absence of signage to the contrary?

5. Attitude of local LEO's?

6. Maybe it don't matter, but I'm a 'cowboy/vaquero' type in appearance.

7. I'll be driving an SUV w/luggage.

nonameisgood

imported post

>I normally OC and don't give it much thought here, but...

Not here. Not yet.

>I'll be going to Van Horn... passing thru ElPaso (I-10). I have a validArizona CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit). I'll be carrying a 1911 in a vertical shoulder holster or a leather concealment vest. I usually have another pistol of some type in the glove box. CWP's alsoinclude knives.

So long as they are concealed on your person or in the vehicle, you are fine.

1. What can I expect if I get stopped for anything? Should I divulge I'm carrying as a courtesy (as I do here) or keep my yap shut?
A: Yes. Simply give the officer your AZ CWP. She/he will ask if you are carrying. That is the easiest way to handle it. The law changed recently, to remove any penalty for failing to give your permit with your DL, but the law still requires you to do so. (The change was simply to avoid penalizing someone who forgets to hand it to the officer initially.)

2. Close to the border or when traversing long stretches of desert (here) I normally carry a long gun (EBR carbine or shotgun). My normal EBR is a bottom folder AK clone. The normal shotgun is a 18" Rem 870 with a pistol grip. I have an enclosed carry bag for one and a scabbard for the other. I suspectthat'd be more of a possible liability than an assetupon entering Texas tho. Any thoughts?
A: Long guns are fine. I don't recommend leaving them visible when you are out of the vehicle. There are no real restrictions on long gun carry.

3. Pistol in the glove box... 'holster' required on that or not?
A: No holster required.

4. Rest stops... restaurants that may sell alcohol. Legality of carryng concealed in the absence of signage to the contrary?
A: OK to carry unless they post a specific sign with a red "51" on it. Not to be confused with the blue sign prohibiting the unlicensed carrying at places which sell alcoholic beverage. If it is a bar, you can bet you shouldn't be carrying. If it is a restaurant, you will generally be OK. Watch for one other sign at the entrance to any building: called the 30.06 sign. Check the Texas rules to understand the requirements.

5. Attitude of local LEO's?
A: Don't let your weapon be seen and you'll be fine. State law requires concealment, and prohibits intentionally showing a handgun.

A: You'll fit right in around west Texas.

7. I'll be driving an SUV w/luggage.
A: Shouldn't have any problems.

There have been problems with gun running and drug trafficking in the area, so avoid unnecessary stops. The speed limits are 75 and 80 mph, so that shouldn't be too much trouble.

The DPS/state troopers in the area are generally great guys.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Thanx for the info... especially the signs. On the long guns... loaded and visibleOK or what?

nonameisgood

imported post

Long guns are generally OK. No distinction between loaded and not. Visible is fine.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

A: You'll fit right in around west Texas.

...only if you also look Mexican.

Also, be prepared for someBorder Patrol activity on I-10 in the Sierra Blanca/Van Horn area, especially at night.

And the TX DPS state troopers are also sometimes out in force down there...usually pulling over speeding truckers (also at night - speed limit is 65 AT NIGHT, which is too slow for them).

Enjoy.

-- John D.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I ain't Mex by a long shot. :) I've been thru many BP checkpoints here... guns visible w/o a problem. 'Got that 30.06 figured out... OK w/that, but I'll have to remember to 'look'. I'll be in Texas 'bout 4 days 'n a wake-up... so unless y'all secceed or somethin' next month... I guess I'm good to go. Thanx.

'Sure wish TX would go OC or Constitutional carry... 'make things a lot simpler... 'n prob'ly safer.

nonameisgood

imported post

Don't mind the nay-sayers. I'll be out visiting the wife near there next weekend and will be ordering custom boots from the real cowboy boot maker in town.

She is a doctor, and has to remind some patients to remove the spurs before getting on the table. They routinely need to visit the chiropractor to fix what can only be described as "cowboy injuries".

Sonora Rebel

imported post

nonameisgood wrote:
Don't mind the nay-sayers. I'll be out visiting the wife near there next weekend and will be ordering custom boots from the real cowboy boot maker in town.

She is a doctor, and has to remind some patients to remove the spurs before getting on the table. They routinely need to visit the chiropractor to fix what can only be described as "cowboy injuries".
Me too... :lol: Sans spurs in town tho.