• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Governor Gibbons Addresses Stillwater Firearms Association

varminter22

imported post

Governor Gibbons Addresses Stillwater Firearms Association

Nevada Governor Jim Gibbons attended the Stillwater Firearms Association’s January 13, 2010 monthly meeting and addressed a standing-room-only crowd of over 170 SFA members and guests. Following his remarks, the Governor fielded many questions from the audience ranging from Second Amendment issues to Nevada education policy.

“We certainly enjoyed hosting Governor Gibbons,” said SFA Public Affairs Officer J. L. Rhodes, “And I’m confident he enjoyed spending time with us. I can also say his sense of humor is alive and well as I initiated a bit of Navy-Air Force rivalry banter and received my share in return!”

Active in shooting sports and legislative action issues, SFA meets the second Wednesday of each month, 7:30 p.m. at the Fallon Eagles Lodge, 7797 Reno Highway.

SFA incorporated in 1979 as a Nevada non-profit organization, and is dedicated to promoting public interest, skill and safety in the use of firearms, target shooting and social recreation for its members as well as the public at large. SFA is affiliated with the National Rifle Association and the Civilian Marksmanship Program. For events and membership information, visit http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org, or call (775) 867-2224 or 217-6218.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SFA Trustee and Public Affairs Officer

CPO J. L. Rhodes, USN(RET)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was GREAT! Governor Gibbons had VERY good answers to our firearms/law related questions.

varminter22

imported post

Gordie wrote:
Did anyone ask about state preemption and the issues with Clark Co. and the AG's office?

That specific question was not asked; we ran out of time.

Here are a few questions that were asked - and his answers were favorable! (Not a complete list of questions; I cannot remember all.)

In 2007, the legislature had the opportunity to enact legislation that would have protected the NICS exemption for Concealed Carry Permit holders to purchase firearms without the necessity of passing an instant background check (also known as NICS Exemption). Unfortunately, this legislation was not passed by the legislature, and Concealed Carry Permit holders lost their exemption. If similar legislation to AB-21 from 2007 is crafted and passed in the 2011 legislature, would you sign this bill provided it was revenue-neutral?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Utah, the law allows for Concealed Carry Permit holders to carry their firearms on college campuses. Similar legislation may have prevented much of the unfortunate loss of life in the Virginia Tech shooting a couple of years ago. Would you support revenue-neutral legislation that provided for similar consideration for students on campus here in Nevada?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 74th Legislative Session, we gained a system of recognizing other state CCW permits IF that state's CCW requirements are substantially similar to Nevada's requirements. Other states recognize any and all permits issued by other states, just like a drivers license. Would you support a change to this system to allow for any state CCW permit to be recognized here in Nevada?

-Nevada Revised Statues Chapter 202 specifies CCW permit holders must qualify with semi-automatic handguns by make, model and caliber. This legislation does not require such specification for revolvers. Would you support legislation that would allow for similar language to apply to any semi-automatic handgun, instead of this individual handgun qualification requirement?

-----------------------------

How do you feel about the Vermont/Alaska carry laws, and would you like to see such carry laws eventually become the law of the land here in Nevada?

On this last question, he more or less stated he likes the "vetting" system - obtaining training and demonstrating competence.

On this, I disagree. See:

http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=124&mode=&order=0&thold=0

And

http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=122&mode=&order=0&thold=0

I have long advocated Vermont/Alaska style CCW law. See poll and comments at http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Surveys&pollID=16

Although I fear the political climate in Nevada is not right to adopt VT/AK style CCW law, I do think it should be our ultimate, long term goal.

Yes, I know the arguments against VT/AK style law, and in favor of a "shall issue" CCW permit system.

But I maintain we would NOT see any "problems". It is encumbent upon all firearm-owning citizens to be knowledgeable and safe with firearms. A person (non-felon, etc) can lawfully open-carry without need of a "permit" - what difference does it make if the person's firearm is concealed by a shirt tail? And, of course, the law means nothing to the criminal element - do criminals apply for CCW permits?

Vermont has never required a permit to CCW - since statehood in 1791! Any citizen (not otherwise prohibited; ie, felons, etc.) may lawfully carry concealed without need of a "permit." Alaska instituted a "shall issue" permit system (similar to Nevada's) in 1995 and subsequently adopted Vermont style law (any citizen not otherwise prohibited; ie, felons, etc.) in 2003. Have you ever heard of "problems" in Vermont or Alaska? Don't you think the mainstream media would be broadcasting day and night about "non-permitted" people with concealed firearms in Vermont and Alaska - IF there were problems there?

How is Nevada different than Vermont or Alaska? Are Nevadans less trustworthy?

Credible studies (and I say "credible" meaning those done by Professor John Lott - and others - that have merit as opposed to "junk studies" conducted by anti-gun folks with an agenda) indicate support.

Having said that, I can tell you I was super impressed with the Governor, his remarks, and his answers to questions!