• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts how Lobby Day went.

Do you feel that Lobby Day was a success?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Had a great time at Lobby Day. Everything seemed to go okay. I had a very nice and thoughtful Capitol Police officer ask me about "locked and cocked" status of my pistol. I was surprised at how many people didn't realize they could carry in the GA.

Didn't really hear a whole lot of new buzz from the anti's. All in all not bad.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Times dispatch reports 1000 attendees!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/article/LEGIGAT18_20100118-121003/318434/

A pro-gun, pro-states rights rally at the state Capitol this morning drew roughly 1,000 people who were encouraged afterward to file into the General Assembly Building to lobby their legislators.

They are among several groups lobbying state lawmakers today, including mental-health and public safety advocates and the anti-tax group Americans for Prosperity.

The rally crowd is interested in two bills in particular. House Bill 10 "protects an individual's right and power to participate, or to decline to participate, in a health-care system or plan."

House Bill 69 says firearms and ammunition made in Virginia and retained here are not subject to federal law or regulation under the authority of Congress to regulate interstate commerce.

"I support freedom," said Harry Holt, a Midlothian resident, who was handing out stickers. "I think the federal government is overreaching their power too quickly and too pervasively."

Del. Charles W. Carrico Sr., R-Grayson, stood before the crowd and recited the words of Patrick Henry, echoing sentiments written on several signs: the states have rights.

"Are we going to be free men or are we going to be slaves to the federal government of the United States?" he asked.

Pagan

imported post

I thought it went well, especially for my first one, and I OC'd inside and outside the GA building. the cops were nice and helpfull, and the speakers were on point.

The only down side I saw, were the guys in BDU's, I think that kind of stuff is inappropriate for a peaceful and lawful rally. I'm sure they were nice people, it just seems rather hobbyish than serious,IMO.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Pagan wrote:
The only down side I saw, were the guys in BDU's, I think that kind of stuff is inappropriate for a peaceful and lawful rally. I'm sure they were nice people, it just seems rather hobbyish than serious,IMO.

Thanks, I thought I was the only one who thought that. It's just one more thing for the media to focus on that paints our movement in a bad light. I talked to one of them and he seemed like a decent fellow. But a 10 second video byte on the local news would give anyone who wasn't at the rally the wrong impression if the militia guys were all they showed.

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Great Speakers!

Great Weather!

Great Turnout!

Got to talk to a few legislators and a few aides.

Got the old "I'll make sure he/she sees this" 2 minute meeting as well.

I think we did a little educating and letting people know we are just every day people looking to preserve our rights to protect ourselves.

If anything we were TOO orgnaized. Gone were the chaotic scramble as VCDL members wandered floor to floor.

If you have neverdone it before youreally need to go. If you feel passionate about someting call your rep up and set an appointment andgo. Shake their hand, get to know each other, look them in the eye and let him or her know how YOU think.

They serveYOU and if they don't know what you think then someone else will influence them.

Even speaking with the otherside it is good to let them know where you stand, you never know when a thought will crystalize and someone will have a eureka moment!!

I guarantee it will never happen if you don't make the effort!

Ric in Richmond

ranparjen

imported post

This was my first lobby day (and my first post).

Ijust wanted to share something that I saw.

Asmall group was coming into capitol square just before things

got started this morning. I noticed they were wearing stickers

that said close the gun show loophole.

the first guy turned to the others in the group and

said "looks like we are out numbered again"

Pagan

imported post

I saw them also, but then they disappeared, or hid somewhere. The cops mingled well into the crowd during the speaches I noticed also...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Pagan wrote:
I saw them also, but then they disappeared, or hid somewhere. The cops mingled well into the crowd during the speaches I noticed also...
The BDU cops were Richmond City and really didn't have any need to be there.

The CP's were on their good behavior and they mingle more to keep the anti's out than keep an eye on us. They did the same with their sad little rally.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Pagan wrote:
The BDU cops were Richmond City and really didn't have any need to be there.

The CP's were on their good behavior and they mingle more to keep the anti's out than keep an eye on us. They did the same with their sad little rally.

speaking of which, did anyone get pics or have info on what exactly was said or done at their rally? Who spoke, and on what? Just wondering.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Infidel wrote:
Would have been nice if all the local news crews were there when our speakers were up. Only one news crew was there for our speakers, and the others showed up for the anti's speal, three at least!
If three news crews showed up for the antis rally, that just about doubled the antis numbers!!! :lol:

I have never seen such a puny, limp, dispirited group in my life. About 30 of them were milling around, half-listening to some dude strumming the guitar, singing his song about the evils of the world or some such drivel. I think Phil had the right idea telling us not to mingle, or it would have looked as though their rally had some "electricity", when in fact it was a dead battery!

Wait 'til you see the photos of our crowd taken from the podium. WOOOOO-eeee!

Pagan

imported post

I took a few pictures for a lady, that could not see above the crowd. I used her phone and just held it up panning over the crowd, there were many many of us!

I must have missed the BDU cops, I only saw some rally goers with BDU's.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
snip I think Phil had the right idea telling us not to mingle

Diddo, especially since they have copied our orange stickers and put their own logo on it.

Nakedshoplifter (OCDO member) had a good idea. We should lay people down like their "lie in" and as we tell stories of how guns saved lives they should get up.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Had a great time.

Here are a couple crowd shots (after the tea party crowd dissipated a bit), more to come, but will be tomorrow probably. Going out for our anniversary tonight.

767812486_HcZLu-L.jpg

767812350_fQPeM-L.jpg

simmonsjoe

imported post

I had a great time. Had some really good discussions with some Delegates. Got about 35seconds face time with my Delegate 1 on 1.

Sorry I didn't make breakfast! There were so many people I couldn't find anyone I knew from the tidewater/richmond dinners. Can't believe I couldn't find Grapeshot. Saw Mike, PVC, a few other high-profiles.

I was busy talking to Delegates so I missed the rally. I hope the video gets posted ASAP.

I'd like to get some counts for pro's vs. anti's. I know the ratio was pathetic. Personally I witnessed 5 Anti's. 3 of them were dressed in ghetto-garb. I asked the other two, very politely, if they could explain the Gun Show Loophole to me. Both of them refused to look in my direction, wouldn't respond, and walked away quickly when addressed. Oddly enough these are some clues to look for when profiling criminal behavior.

10mm

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Had a great time.

Here are a couple crowd shots (after the tea party crowd dissipated a bit), more to come, but will be tomorrow probably. Going out for our anniversary tonight.

767812486_HcZLu-L.jpg

767812350_fQPeM-L.jpg
Damn I'm handsome!

2a4all

imported post

My wife & I parked on 14th street (at a meter), across from the Monroe Building, and waled up te stairs (of the pedestrian bridge) to Old 14th St, and wended our way up to the assembly area in front of the GAB. We only encountered a few Capitol Police, one of whom I asked about parking at the meters (they were in a 2 hr zone).

We alsosaw several BDU-clad police officers among the crowd during the 11:00 - 12:30 rallys, but the real surprise came when we left the rally area to head back to our car about 2:00pm. We strolled down the walkway in Capitol Square toward the Governor's Mansion, and out to Governors St. About 50 VSP Troopers with riot gear (shields, masks, etc)had beenassembled there, and were heading back to their cars, which were parked along Governors St, Garage St, Franklin St., etc. None of these cars or personnel were present when we arrived in the morning (8:30 am). We walked among them as they were leaving, but didn't speak. I'm sure they saw that I was armed, but none seemed to notice.

Perhaps they didn't expect security problems, but they were prepared.

Other than that, we had a fulfilling day (well, except for finding out that my delegate was a patron of a bill to ban guns in the Newport News libraries, and who also thinks thatCastle Doctrine billwould very difficult because the burden of proof is significantly less in a civil trial than it is in a criminal one). Yes, SIAL.:X