• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry practice

oldkim

imported post

Withdrawn.

There are many things that are out of my control - with that I will close these invitations off.

My hope was to do my part but I'll just do them in a different way.

See my last post to this thread.

oldkim

imported post

The dates are variable and only sent to those already on my email list.

Let's just say it won't conflict for the first few dates for 2010.

Sorry to be so vague but I've found it best to just email the folks I already have on my list. It's one that you can not sign up for that same day. All shooters are pre-signed up and paid for before each shoot.

If this is something you want to attend you have to start off by sending in your info anyways. Once on my email list you'll be notified when and you can then decide.

Sounds like you are getting a lot of practice time. These are really just practice fun shoots.

Hammer

imported post

oldkim wrote:
The dates are variable and only sent to those already on my email list.

Let's just say it won't conflict for the first few dates for 2010.

Sorry to be so vague but I've found it best to just email the folks I already have on my list. It's one that you can not sign up for that same day. All shooters are pre-signed up and paid for before each shoot.

If this is something you want to attend you have to start off by sending in your info anyways. Once on my email list you'll be notified when and you can then decide.

Sounds like you are getting a lot of practice time. These are really just practice fun shoots.

I do get lots of range time.
some at a private site
some at local gun clubs
Just wondered if it was in the cards to go bust some caps with some of the OCDO crew.
Thanks for providing a venue for those that don't have a place to run & gun

kito109654

imported post

I participated in the last "shooting on the move" with oldkim and it was a ton of fun. As I recall it was about 20 degrees that morning, which made it quite the experience. I used my compact carry pistol, a Kahr, and it made a big difference in my abilities with the pistol.

I'm not sure if I will be able to make this next one but I'm sure gonna try. I hope to have my first AR built in time for it as well.

Metalhead47

imported post

oldkim wrote:
For those that open or concealcarry and want to practice with their gear.

Shooting Like the Good Old Days - Shooting on the Move

This is my second year of running these practice shoots. Basically, set up is similar to IDPA and USPSA but no "competition rules," no timer. Just good practice with your gear.

Shoot what you carry.

Cost: $30 for non members, $15 for members

Where: Renton Fish and Game Club

NEW: adding an AR scenario - means you get to shoot your AR or AK or rifle on the move.

Must contact me via email at oldkim@aol.com

I need your name, email, contact phone a brief history of your shooting experience. If you do not have any formal classes just tell me how long you've been shooting and what.
Dude, please, please keep doing these things. I never have the right combination of time/money/ammo but I'd really like to get to one of your sessions some time soon.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

What happened to 'these will always be free, and I will never charge for them, but it would be appreciated if you could bring some snacks or soda for the bbq' ?

kito109654

imported post

He doesn't charge, that's just the range fee as I understand it. At the one I went to he brought tons of handwarmers that he paid for out of pocket.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

30$ is still cheap, and I understand things change.. Just frustrating, thats all...

Hendo

imported post

What's frustrating? He gives his time away for free, lines up a volunteer safety team, provides one of the only ways for newbies and oldies to practise in a safe and reasonably ego free zone (always be wanna be's) - - -what's not to like. He is out of pocket every time.

I have been twice and hope to get my girlfriend to strap one on (watch it!) for next time.

Cmon bro. Kim is a service to the community.

kito109654

imported post

Hendo wrote:
What's frustrating? He gives his time away for free, lines up a volunteer safety team, provides one of the only ways for newbies and oldies to practise in a safe and reasonably ego free zone (always be wanna be's) - - -what's not to like. He is out of pocket every time.

I have been twice and hope to get my girlfriend to strap one on (watch it!) for next time.

Cmon bro. Kim is a service to the community.

We all have our fantasies, to each his own. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm with you, Mr Kim does a great thing that VERY FEW people anywhere have the opportunity to get to participate in. We are lucky to have him local.

oldkim

imported post

Nothing is free in life.... unless I'm living wrong.

None of these shoots were "free." Putting them on last year cost me a gun or two. Meaning I could of bought at least 2 guns for the money I used to put these on. When I originally started out I donated all the proceeds to the club.

I asked folks to bring stuff but that was too variable. Mind you there are a lotof "generous" folks out there but I could not count on there being enough and not too much of one thing. I had a donation bucket later in the year but I didn't feel right even though I was losing money.

I've always considered these shoots a "service to the community" for when I was shooting I definitely would of appreciated someone doing these in my younger days.

I've switched a bit and I'm charging $5-10 more than last year but that money covers the food, water and my time and the safety officer's time. I still give a good cut to the club since without them I couldn't even do these but it's a compromise.

If I have someone that can support these shoots I would love to do them for "free" but as no one is goingcome up with that kind of money I had to compromise.

The compromise is charging a bit more to cover what I do or.... not do these. I can not continue to lose money doing these as I have a wedding to pay for. My fiance is not a gun happy person so her seeing me lose money on top everything else just makes it that much harder to argue to continue putting these shoots together.

If anyone else is willing to put these on. I would be totally willing to help get it up and going. I would consult on how to do them, to advertising, whatever you need.

Thanks to all that have added to this thread. I hope to continue to do these and make it worth your while.

If you haven't shot your rifle while shooting on the move and do some rapid fire -- it's a kick in the pants.

PS - man you can shoot .22 if cost is something that concerns you. Don't let that hold you back. You control how much you shoot.

oldkim

imported post

I have proceed to withdrawl my offer for these events.

When I first started out I had a vision of doing these and saw that it would take a great deal on my part to get them going. Now since I have worked hard to get it off the ground and the club officers and IDPA committee comfortable at Renton Fish and Game Club to allow me to continue to do them I have seen that I need not lose any more money by doing them.

Excuse me if I charge $10 more to offset my cost.

After a year I know to continue doing them would require that financially I would have to chargea bit more to cover all the cost I have put in but I do not appreciate the questioning of the increase.

With all due respect I'm done for now.

Only those on my email list now will be notified of continuing events.

G27

imported post

Awesome. Another great thing gone. Thanks, Oldkim, for doing these in the past. I always wanted to attend one but never had the chance. I guess I won't get to either. If you do change your mind please PM me the information. I have no objections paying you the small amount you asked. I'm sure your lessons are worth tenfold that amount.

kito109654

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
What happened to 'these will always be free, and I will never charge for them, but it would be appreciated if you could bring some snacks or soda for the bbq' ?

This reminds me of some great quotes but I'll just stick to saying that was rude. Who cares how you "feel" about it. Suck it up and keep it to yourself or don't participate. Simple.

I'm glad I got in when I did.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

This reminds me of some great quotes but I'll just stick to saying that was rude.  Who cares how you "feel" about it.  Suck it up and keep it to yourself or don't participate.  Simple.

I AM on the mailing list, and I offered my services as an SO, with the understanding that I probably wouldn't even get to shoot that day...

I was there at the first go-around, had fun, and learned a lot too... I appreciate what Mr. Kim is doing..

I have been out of the loop and practically ignoring his emails as I've been extremely busy since the first range day and knew I wouldn't have time to do anything, now I have a little bit of time I can set aside, it went from 'I'll never take any money' to 'I need 30$'... So pardon me if I'm questioning the change and the reasoning behind it.

I think 30$ is cheap for the service he's offering, I don't have a problem with the amount, just wanted a reasoning for it, that's all.

I question everything.

Has nothing to do with being rude, if I want information, I ask.

kito109654

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
kito109654 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

This reminds me of some great quotes but I'll just stick to saying that was rude. Who cares how you "feel" about it. Suck it up and keep it to yourself or don't participate. Simple.

I AM on the mailing list, and I offered my services as an SO, with the understanding that I probably wouldn't even get to shoot that day...

I was there at the first go-around, had fun, and learned a lot too... I appreciate what Mr. Kim is doing..

I have been out of the loop and practically ignoring his emails as I've been extremely busy since the first range day and knew I wouldn't have time to do anything, now I have a little bit of time I can set aside, it went from 'I'll never take any money' to 'I need 30$'... So pardon me if I'm questioning the change and the reasoning behind it.

I think 30$ is cheap for the service he's offering, I don't have a problem with the amount, just wanted a reasoning for it, that's all.

I question everything.

Has nothing to do with being rude, if I want information, I ask.
That makes much more sense. Excuse my ASSumptions and thanks for explaining.

jarhead1911A

imported post

Sounds like a fun class i was actually thinking about doing an invite for CQB training for anyone who is intrested........

Dont get me wrong i am sure there are some very instructors out there but like they say if u want it done right do it yourself.