• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a concealed and loaded weapon legal?

aadvark

imported post

That DAMN COMMITTEE has scraped repealing 16-11-128!!!!!

The ONLY good thing that came out of that COMMITTEE is that Misdemeanor Drug Convictions will not permantely bar you from getting a Georgia Firearms License anymore!!!!They will only now bar you for three years. As always Felony Convicitons, absent a Pardon, are permantly barring.

Furthermore, the power shifted back to The Probate Court Judge and away from the Secretary of The State.

In any event, HB 615 stillhas not progressed!!!!! It needs to, though!!!!! This Bill IS FAR BETTER than SB 291!!!!!

sigh... Anyway, Ipray there is some hope left to do away with 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, 16-11-127.2, and 16-11-128. If not, maybe they will amend it a little bit.

I have every intention on going to meet Chip Rogers and Sean Jerguson about this in the coming up Town Hall meeting this weekend..., just South of Town.

blt38

imported post

I know this may not be the right forum, but I have a concealed carry in a vehicle question. I live in VA and have a VA CHP. I am travelling to Ft Stewart to see my son in July. VA has concealed carry reciprocity with NC and SC but not GA. I have researched this online, and it appears I MAY conceal carry in my vehicle in GA as long as I am not restricted from obtaining a GA concealed permit. I would like to know if I have read this right or if I need to transport my legal handgun in some other fashion when I cross into GA. Thanks for your help.

galvatron

imported post

Transportation of a firearm while traveling through states in entirely different from carrying in another state. If there is no written reciprocity between states then do not do it. Your weapon will be illegal to carry. GA does not issue non-resident GFL's. Since you are not a GA resident, you are ineligible for a GFL. Which makes your concealed carry or any other type of carry illegal for you in GA. Probably not what you wanted to hear....

I'd stick with the standard method of transporting your weapon into unfriendly states. Unloaded, kept in case, storedin a separate part of vehicle. If the vehicle allows any type of seperation, e.g a regular cab pick-up isnt going to offer any type of seperation compared to ageneric sedan.

groats

imported post

This code section does not forbid the carrying of a loaded handgun in any private motor vehicle by a person who is not licensed, but also who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, in an open manner and totally exposed to view. For those who are not listed as ineligible for a license (found below in the "Firearm License Carrying" section) may also place the gun anywhere inside the vehicle.

Those listed as ineligible are (abbreviated):
1. Prohibited by federal law
2. Under 21
3. Fugitive from justice
4. Convicted felon
5. Mental or Alcohol treatment in past 5 years (at discretion of the probate court)
6. Conviction on controlled substances (ever)
7. Illegal alien.

See here for the law:
http://georgiapacking.org/law.php

The way I read this is
You cannot be licensed, since you aren't a GA resident, therefore you fall into the "a person who is not licensed" clause, which says you MAY place the gun anywhere in the vehicle (if you are not disqualified for reasons 1..7).

No carry on your person, and Ft. Stewart is off-limits due to their own rules.

blt38

imported post

Thank you. That is very helpful. I am not otherwise ineligible so it looks like loaded, open and in plain view is what is lawful. Makes me again realize what a pity it was that the national reciprocity law for concealed carry did not pass through congress. Maybe one day our elected leaders will be able to see the 2d Amendment more clearly. (P.S. Just to clarify, my son is stationed at Stewart but does not reside on Stewart. Being retired military I am well aware of the restrictions of having weapons on federal property. ) Thanks again

groats

imported post

See the underlined part.
I read it to say anywhere in the vehicle. Which would include glove box or console. Legal as long as you aren't one of those enumerated.

There are lots of different ideas about this, mine is:
if I can't carry into a restaurant or motel 'on my person'
(due to not having a carry license) then I do not want the gun to be in plain sight. Someone might spot it and decide to get it as soon as I'm out of the car. Follow you from a gas station or whatever.

One thing: DO NOT stop at a GA welcome station or rest stop. They are dangerous, so naturally, carrying a gun is illegal. Legislators work very hard to protect the safety of our criminals.

blt38

imported post

Groats, again thank you. I will take your advice on not stopping at the rest areas. I want to be legal AND secure. Let's all keep voting for pro 2A candidates. Semper Fi!