• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was thinking of moving to Cali...

DEROS72

imported post

You are right about that Killchain.I had a customer that was a victim of a home invasion in a gated country club community.Beaten really bad and her car stolen and trashed.She told me that the local sheriff said she did not have sufficient reason to carry a firearm.

killchain

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
You are right about that Killchain.I had a customer that was a victim of a home invasion in a gated country club community.Beaten really bad and her car stolen and trashed.She told me that the local sheriff said she did not have sufficient reason to carry a firearm.
Being an American capable of defending your family and home is reason enough to have a weapon. Whatever it is, a baseball bat, a firearm, a golf club.

That's really sad. And that sheriff is an idiot. Every defense-minded American is a bit of workload taken off of the law enforcement's shoulders, in my opinion.

And yes. No one has better hair than you, Deros. It really is amazing. Haha. :p

DEROS72

imported post

That was back in about 2000 and one of the things that really started me on the road.Their arrogance down there is beyond measure.

Actually at 56 I feel pretty fortunate to even have hair to joke about...My little brother lost most of his in his 30's.

My life line

Metalhead47

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Maybe Arizona would be better choice. I know we have pretty low taxes compared to Cali. If we can figure out a way to do it, we will actually wind up everwhere. My wife cant handle the grey here anymore. Since unemployed and cant make the house payment, we are thinking of loading up the motorhome and heading out. Got a lot of reading to do on other sites to see whata whata. If we do, need to find out about travel and open and I will definitly get a Utah concealed, and Oregon concealed. Most of our time will be spent on the west, and south coast. If I get my way, Summers here, and winters there. If I do wind up in Cali, thats where my highpoint would be most valuable, since I wouldnt be able to shoot and defend myself, the highpoint is sufficient in weight to knock someone out.
If you're at all concerned about the heat in Kali, you will NOT like Phoenix. I grew up there. The heat there in the summer is truly unreal. Remember that great big news-makin' heat wave we had this summer? That's what it's like in Phoenix, at night, just before dawn. Overnight lows stay in the triple digits some times, especially in the cities. When you step outside in the middle of the day in July or August the heat is like hitting a wall, it literally just takes the breath right out of you. No one does anything outside in the summer, you go from one air-conditioned cocoon to another. And if you're even the slightest bit concerned about any "SHTF" scenarios, Phoenix is not where you want to be when the power goes out for good. Expect to pay thru the arse for it while it's on too. It once got so hot there the major international airport had to shut down completely 'cuz the data tables for the airplanes didn't go up that high.:shock:

Absolutely, unequivocally gorgeous in the winter tho. :celebrate

Like CRA said, why not just do Eastern WA? Same gun laws & availability you're already familiar with, no state income tax, not as gray in the winter & only a lil hotter in the summer.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Amzbrady

Metalhead is right come have a look areound in eastern Washington. Its not nearly as gray here in the winter and the cost of living is less than the coast. If you want I will act as tour guide for a day or two to show you around the Spokane area. What do you do for a living?

Tawnos

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Maybe Arizona would be better choice. I know we have pretty low taxes compared to Cali. If we can figure out a way to do it, we will actually wind up everwhere. My wife cant handle the grey here anymore. Since unemployed and cant make the house payment, we are thinking of loading up the motorhome and heading out. Got a lot of reading to do on other sites to see whata whata. If we do, need to find out about travel and open and I will definitly get a Utah concealed, and Oregon concealed. Most of our time will be spent on the west, and south coast. If I get my way, Summers here, and winters there. If I do wind up in Cali, thats where my highpoint would be most valuable, since I wouldnt be able to shoot and defend myself, the highpoint is sufficient in weight to knock someone out.
If you're at all concerned about the heat in Kali, you will NOT like Phoenix. I grew up there. The heat there in the summer is truly unreal. Remember that great big news-makin' heat wave we had this summer? That's what it's like in Phoenix, at night, just before dawn. Overnight lows stay in the triple digits some times, especially in the cities. When you step outside in the middle of the day in July or August the heat is like hitting a wall, it literally just takes the breath right out of you. No one does anything outside in the summer, you go from one air-conditioned cocoon to another. And if you're even the slightest bit concerned about any "SHTF" scenarios, Phoenix is not where you want to be when the power goes out for good. Expect to pay thru the arse for it while it's on too. It once got so hot there the major international airport had to shut down completely 'cuz the data tables for the airplanes didn't go up that high.:shock:

Absolutely, unequivocally gorgeous in the winter tho. :celebrate

Like CRA said, why not just do Eastern WA? Same gun laws & availability you're already familiar with, no state income tax, not as gray in the winter & only a lil hotter in the summer.
Sounds like home ;)

After living in that kind of oppressive heat (I'm talking ride a bike a mile and risk heatstroke, you know what it's like, he might not), it was great to move north.

Metalhead47

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote: Sounds like home ;)

After living in that kind of oppressive heat (I'm talking ride a bike a mile and risk heatstroke, you know what it's like, he might not), it was great to move north.
Forget riding a bike, you can get heatstroke there walking out to get the mail. I grew up in the desert, my wife grew up outside of Buffalo, NY. We find this to be a very happy medium :celebrate

amzbrady

imported post

Actually what would be perfect for us is SW in winter and here in the summer. My wife has seasonal affective disorder, and the grey here has taken its toll. But the summers are wonderful. She loves the mountains and the ocean. Living here on the coast was just to fullfill another dream she had. It is really not that expensive, just no work.We do know the heat in july in AZ. We flew down to pick up a RV we purchased on EBAY. I dont mind the heat, in Fact actually love it. My family though, not so much. As soon as we stepped out of the door at the airport my family turned right back around and went back inside. Once inside the Coach, we were able to get it down to 85 running the roof AC. And yes, I packed my taurus and it flew with us. No family member was left out of the trip, even took the dog.

digitalgiga

imported post

I moved to cali a few month ago and brought over all my stuff using this moving company http://www.movers-moving-companies.com/California_CA/moving_company_California.htm, They took my pistols and a few shotguns i had, i had to register them pre-hand though. Anyways, the laws are pretty strict in cali, i kinda hate it. I dunno who else would have helped me out, there arnt a lot of people out in cali that see eye to eye with people like us.

slowfiveoh

imported post

Born and raised in California.

Do not waste your time. Lived there for 20 years, and while I had my good times, the state is to be blunt, a liberalized joke. Let's look at the states past:

--Gray Davis, a former governor, was recalled for running the state into the ground.

--The debt was so bad that the people who were willing to jump into the Governors seat were; Gary Coleman, Arnold, and a few other celebrities...

--The debt is still horrendous, and it is probably the one state out of the union that relies almost totally off of federal handouts for funding of unemployment and other programs.

--California thinks it's super special, and that it needs two sanctioning bodies for pollution control. Not only do you bow to the EPA, but C.A.R.B. (California Air Resources Board) as well. Which by the way has done an excellent job at nothing but making the car modification industry and small specialty companies suffer (Most companies affiliated with SEMA), as well as denying people who ride two stroke vehicles to ONLY ride them for 4-5 months out of the year, lest the bike get towed.

--Police, for the most part, run around like Nazis in this state. I have met quite a few good ones, but dear God, the other ones have been just BAD. The CHP claims they are the shining example of law enforcement across the nation, when frankly I have never run into a larger group of pompous windbags in my life. This is NOT discrediting law enforcement fellas, just stating that my experience with the CHP on a few occasions has been less than pleasant regarding heir demeanor, even under the best of circumstances!

--The most important part: A horrendous desire to control everything the public says or does, to include gun control. Barbara Boxer is from there. So is Diane Feinstein.
God what else can I say?

Don't get me wrong, as a Californian by way of birth, there are things I will always love about the state. However, the older you get, the more you realize how bad that state is for people who actually want to live their lives.

Just sayin. :?

killchain

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
That was back in about 2000 and one of the things that really started me on the road.Their arrogance down there is beyond measure.

Actually at 56 I feel pretty fortunate to even have hair to joke about...My little brother lost most of his in his 30's.

My life line
Dang! Dapper Dan even looks like you! Hahahaha! :p