• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello to everyone

sigrscu

imported post

Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello and thanks for letting me join your forum.

I have a quick question on how you guys prefer to carry as far as holsters and in what postion. I want to know what your opinions are on carrying in a thigh rig. Like a blackhawk tactical serpa.Iwas in the army and thankfully our c/o allows us to "upgrade" our gearand that is how I carried my side arm. But what about in the real world around town. For me, its much more comfy to carry it that way as opposed to on the hip. I know its just a matter of preference, but I have gotten some odd looks from a few people about it. I have been asked "what are you...some sort of agent?" Which i find rather ammusing to be honest.

Just want some opinions on if you guys think its maybe not as wise or may draw "added attention"

Thanks again everyone, Its a great forum here.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! :monkey

I carried for a while using a Blackhawk! thigh platform with SERPA, and never really noticed a difference in how people reacted.

I did however, notice myself running into more objects, such as door frames, with the thigh platform. It sticks out pretty far, so I sold it.

Here is a picture of my thigh platform, from our first open carry meet.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695220748/Packing-heat-no-apologies.html

4722413.jpg

sigrscu

imported post

Thanks for the input, I have gone out a few times with it and i too noticed it bumping into stuff. I guess I will try a few different methods. And as the general public goes, I think people are either gonna give mea hard time or not, regardless of how its holstered.

So all I can say is.....Carry on brothers and sisters:celebrate

rocknsnow

imported post

I have used a thigh rig at times. Not nearly as much as a serpa or a leather holster I have that has retention as well. It all depends on what is comfortable to you personally and what works best in your day to day activities.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The nylon thigh rig that you wore to my house looked comfortable, and did not stick out far. It was a Blackhawk, correct?

When you gonna fly that Apache to an open carry meet in Utah? :p

rocknsnow

imported post

It was a nylon rig. Still have it. Love that thing. And I would love to fly an apache down. That would be a lot of fun. Haven't even started flying them yet. Start in another month. :):celebrate

rocknsnow

imported post

Okay I am a litle slow. You asked if it was a blackhawk and it is a blackhawk. You didn't ask if it was nylon...me a little slow. I blame it on the lack of sleep caused by a newborn.