• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what is the best way to carry with CCW in NC?

airwolf09

imported post

I am looking for advise on what is the best way to carry with CCW in NC.
would you recommend to carry with a loaded round in chamber when carry it as CCW?

With CCW, Would you carry it with you concealed while in the car or put it in the trunk or plain visible?

Dreamer

imported post

You will get as many different answers as there are people on this forum with that question. Heck, some people (me included) will give you three or four different (and contradictory) answers, depending on your particular firearm, holster, and comfort/training level...

I carry a full-size Para Ordnance S-14.45. I carry it openly and concealed (depending on clothing). I almost ALWAYS carry it in "Condition 3" (sometimes called "Israeli Carry"). I am perfectly comfortable carrying it in Condition 1, and sometimes I do. The reason I carry in Condition 3 is not because I'm not comfortable with C1, and not because I don't trust my firearms mechanical safeties. It's because it the REMOTE chance that someone should take it from my holster (I'm more worried about LEO's than BG's doing this), it would be much safer in the hands of someone who is not familiar with the 1911 if it's in "C3".

I also own (and have owned in the past) a few DAO pistols. I always carried them with a "round in the pipe" and the manual safety on. (sort of "C1", but technically it's not, because they are DAO).

When I carried a SA/DA revolver (Taurus 689--WAY back in the day), I carried it with all 6 chambers loaded and the hammer down. I'm not sure what "condition" that would qualify as...

So it depends on your particular firearm, and what YOU are comfortable with, and how well-trained you are in deploying your firearm from a holster and from a concealed position.

From concealed, I can have my Para out, chambered, up, and an accurate round downrange in WELL under 5 seconds. From OC, I can do that in well under 3seconds, and that is from Condition 3 carry.

Carrying Condition 1 shaves about 1 second off my time from OC and about 1.5 secs off CC deployment. But I practice a lot, and have owned and been carrying various 1911-type pistols (and revolvers, and other semiautos) for over 15 years...

I'm sure that answer is as clear as mud to you. :p

As for vehicle carry, if you have a CHP, it is perfectly legal to carry it concealed while in the vehicle. Putting it in the trunk does you no good at all--you might as well leave it at home. And handling it (putting it on, taking it off) in public areas is likely to draw unwanted attention. The less you have to handle your firearm out in public, the better.

Putting it on your seat is not that great either, IMO, because you run the risk of it slipping off the seat if you stop or swerve suddenly.

The SAFEST and most effective place for a firearm is in a holster, on your hip, especially if you are in a car. This is one of the MAIN reasons I got my CHP. Plus if you have the CHP, it often helps "smooth things out" if you ever have to deal with LEO's in a traffic stop.

Let us know a little more about your situation:
1) What sort of firearm are you carrying?
2) what sort of holster do you use (does it have a thumb snap or other retention?)
3) how fast and accurate is your deployment? What is your experience level? Have you had any sort of "formal" training in defensive handgun use/tactics?
4) do you travel out of state often, or do you need to travel onto or through school property regularly? These things can GREATLY influence how you carry in a car...

We want to help, but it's difficult if we don't know the particulars of your situation...

airwolf09

imported post

thanks for answer Dreamer,

I am from MA and moved down here not too long ago. I have been CCW in MA and carry it MA 6 or 7 years before I came down here. Back then I carry a S&W 908 with loaded round in chamber as I have the manual safety and I always have the hammer down. I always carry my side arm as OWB with thumb break as I can't stand IWB

Since I get down here the law is a bit different than MA as up in MA I can carry very much every where except government property, school and airport. when I am the car, the gun always on my body as I don't take it of when I'm in the car.

I get my CCW here in NC and it was a lot to cover in 1 day so I may not remember everything from instructor.

I decided to get me a XD9 Sub Compact hand gun instead of carry my S&W 908. But the XD9 did not have the manual safety or the external hammer. It has the USA trigger like the Glock and the safety grip. I will carry as OWB with no thumb break nor the holster lock the gun when it in the holster.

I just don't want LEO's freak out when I have a round in chamber with no manual safety or thumb break or any type of lock the gun while in holster when I get stop.

I know and understand that in NC, I can not carry on government property, school, bank, where alcohol serves, fair ground or where fees is charge for admission and state ground.

I am very familiar with the gun as I have several of them including rifle so safety is not a concern. I never try to draw and see how quick, hopefully I don't have too. I used to be a member of a gun club in MA and do have training on gun. During the quality training class I got 49/50 on target.
My main concern is the law, as there are grey area here between OC and CC. Where MA only have CC so it kinds of straight forward on the law. I just want to eliminate the unnecessary.

So that is why I want to know what is the best situation to carry while I'm in the car without causing any difficulty as I often travel via car and want to carry it for safety. Would you think is best to carry on you while in the car or visible? I do have CCW, but I just want to make life easy.

Another question, I remember I came accross a business (can't remember where i saw it) with a sign "No Concealed allow" would that only apply to CC. If it is then it is legal carry as OC right?

glockaholic

imported post

airwolf09 wrote:
I just don't want LEO's freak out when I have a round in chamber with no manual safety or thumb break or any type of lock the gun while in holster when I get stop.

I wouldn't worry about LEOs freaking out. There are countless agencies across the country that carry Glocks in condition 1. If I'm carrying legally, I don't really care whether the LEO is comfortable as to the position of a round in my firearm. I carry for my own protection and if one day, God forbid, I need to deploy the firearm, I need to be able to do it quickly.

muccione

imported post

I have a XD40sc and carry it open in a blackhawk serpa . It is ready to put rounds down range at all times. Bad guys have never been patient enough to to allow you to chamber a round before you defend yourself.

Lawmaker

imported post

It is all about proficiency. I am comfortable enough to carry my glock in condition 3. I worry about the BG grabbing and pulling the trigger. But I was USMC infantry so I probably shot more rounds down range than most people will ever shot in their lives.

I use a Cross Breed IWB holster. And love it. It does not pull my pants down like most paddles do. I also bought a really nice belt from them also. Check their site out. It has some really good videos on CCW.
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/