• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is it legal to carry in Mall?

Dreamer

imported post

If your CHP training didn't cover this, you need to find a QUALIFIED instructor and take the class again...

Carrying in a Mall, whether OC or CC is perfectly legal in NC--just as legal as carrying in any other retail establishment.

However, many malls post "no firearms", "no weapons", or "circle-slash" (no guns) signs at their entrance. A few of the sneakier malls post "code of conduct" signs, that have the firearms prohibition in tiny letters somewhere near the bottom, so you need to check the signs at the entrance of any specific mall VERY carefully.

If ANY business is "posted", then if you get caught with a firearm, you will at the very least be asked to leave. However, if a business is "posted", and you carry anyway, you can be charged with "trespassing" even before they ask you to leave. Some of the more anti-gun property managers or security guards will just call the cops with a "man with a gun" call, and the police will then hunt you down and make a big deal of it.

If you didn't get this info in your CHP training, you probably didn't get a lot of the more important info either, and you are putting yourself at a pretty serious legal risk if you are carrying. Knowledge of NC's "use of lethal force" laws, prohibited places, and vehicle carry are KEY, and if you don't have a pretty well-grounded knowledge in these topics, you can get into some SERIOUS trouble just walking around, going about your daily business. The laws regarding CC and OC here in NC are sort of confusing, and VERY convoluted, and you should STUDY them and KNOW them before you ever step foot outside your house.

Download the NC Attorney General's "NC Firearms Laws" booklet and STUDY it.

Or better yet, find a GOOD instructor, and re-take the course...

airwolf09

imported post

yes, the instructor did cover it but I can not remember exactly which is why I posted here just to refresh my mind. As during the training course there were a lot to cover in 1 day. not only that, there is a grey area between OC and CC where OC may legal and CC may not.

for e.g the grey areas:

state fair posted a sign that it is illegal to carry conceal or deathly weapon. Would that only apply to CC only and not OC?

or

if a business posted no conceal carry, would it legal to carry as OC? or that sign apply for both OC and CC?

Dreamer

imported post

The state fair issue is actually covered by a NC law, REGARDLESS of whether it is posted or not. Under NC law, it is illegal to carry (OC or CC) at any venue that charges admission--fairs, carnivals, movie theaters, etc...

If a business says no CC, then is it perfectly legal to OC--technically. Some business owners are stupid and don't know that OC is legal, and will give you an attitude if you OC on a "no CC posted" property. If they ask you to leave, then leave.

Some gun stores have "no CC" signs, but they don't have any problems with OC--they would rather KNOW who has a gun.

In NC, it is illegal to CC in a bank, but technically OC is legal (unless the nak is posted). Most banks don't allow ANY firearms, and post signs to that effect. Some don't post, and don't mind OC. Some don't post, but will call the cops or give you an attitude if you OC. It's very difficult to tell with banks. And since many banks have Management that are transplants from gun-unfriendly states, they often don't know the law, or are just anti-2A and think that anyone with a gun is a criminal. This is why I NEVER set foot in a bank unless I absolutely have to. I use the ATMs and the drive-thru for 99% of my business with banks...

You REALLY need to download the NC AG "Firearms Laws" booklet, and STUDY it...

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf