• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigander travel questions

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Hello Ohio!:)

This summer I will be driving from Michigan to Tennessee, and I am posting in each state asking you what the rules are, so I dont get myself into trouble, any assistance would be appreciated. My CPL is suspended, and I dont know if it will be re activated by then.

Can I OC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I CC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I OC or CC in a car? with permit? Withoutpermit?

If I can CC, can I print?

What are your Pistop free zones?

Is your state 2A freindly?

Is there anything specific I need to know?

Can I OC / CC in a hotel with or without a permit?

Thanks, hope yoy enjoyed playing 20 questions Michigan edition:p

theqbn

imported post

You can't OC while driving without a permit, so you'd have to load the mag and gun outside of the car and then unload before getting back in. It's really not worth the hassle unless you're going to spend a fair amount of time outside the car.

theqbn

imported post

Believe me, we hate it too.

Since nobody else is answering your questions I'll throw out answers to the ones I know:
* No law against printing, since OC is legal you can carry pretty much any way.
* Oddity: A holster is required in the car, but not anywhere else. Just in case you're a pocket carrier. Also, no, holster isn't really defined in the law but common sense applies.
* You should be clear in a hotel room but I would be cautious because you're bound to be around a lot of uninformed people/anti-gunners. Also obviously the common areas outside your room are NOT the same and should be considered as public areas.

Here's our Castle Doctrine law for your perusal: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2901.05

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Thanks.

Btw, how have the LEOs been treating Michigan drivers lately? Many Michigan drivers seem to be afraid to drive in Ohio, and will avoid the whole state if at all possible. Are you guys still stuck at 60mph? That would drive me nutz!

theqbn

imported post

Not sure about the Michigan plates part of it, I live near 3 colleges so I see lots of out of state plates. Max speed limit is 65 MPH, tolerance is definitely no more than 10, 5 when you get below a 55 MPH limit.

I just recently had a ticket for 25 over (80 in a 55) and the judge suspended my license for 30 days in addition to $200 worth of fines and court costs. So yeah, the state is still anal about that.

mudvr1212

imported post

My girlfriend lives in Ohio and I am constantly driving down to see her. I have been wondering this for a long time. I am just about to buy my first handgun...

Bi-tone or the EquinoxSig P229:dude:FINALLY :dude:

I'm glad I read that you can't even have the magazine loaded!!!:cuss:That's almost like California...what's the use of having to unload/load that EVERYTIME you get in or out of the car!

Just means I have to go take my CPL course soon!!! :celebrate

emt232004

Will be heading to Ohio this weeking with Michigan CPL, I am reading correctly that I can carry in my car loaded while the firearm is in my holster? Also no carry anyplace that has a class D liquor license. Any updates on HB 203 & SB 239 ? Would I get hassled for having an extra loading mag in the car as well?

Deanimator

Will be heading to Ohio this weeking with Michigan CPL, I am reading correctly that I can carry in my car loaded while the firearm is in my holster? Also no carry anyplace that has a class D liquor license. Any updates on HB 203 & SB 239 ? Would I get hassled for having an extra loading mag in the car as well?

If you have a recognized CCW credential, you may carry a loaded handgun in a car:

• In a holster on your body (including a pocket holster in your pocket).
  • In a closed (doesn't need to be locked) glove box or center console.
  • In a closed container with some sort of closing mechanism (zipper, snaps, etc.) in plain sight. Examples are a gun case/box, briefcase, purse, etc.
  • In a locked container not in plain sight.
You may have as many loaded HANDGUN magazines as you like. You may not have ANY loaded rifle magazines. Stripper and en block clips are exempted.

You cannot carry into any Class D establishment. The restaurant and car carry reform bills are dead unless Strickland and the current legislators pick them up in the lame duck session, for which there is a SLIGHT hope.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

I too am a Michigan open carrier who is 18 so I have no concealed permit. I do travel to Cleveland a lot and would like to bring my gun with me. Can I legally do that?

Brian D.

as far as i know that is complrtly leagal just watch out cause they will get you for "insiting panic" all other formaly metioned rules apply

Actually, in Ohio it is a grey area (at best) for anyone under 21 to be in possession of a handgun. My time is short today, please do some reading of Ohio law.

Also, the statute you mention is called "inducing panic" and while sometimes misused as a catchall charge, it cannot successfully be applied to those carrying a firearm legally. The standard for inducing panic stipulates that the offender must be engaging in an illegal activity that induced the panic.