• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you have a permit for that thing?

OPS MARINE

imported post

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one tired of hearing this question. It comes in so many forms:

"Do you have a permit for that thing?" That "thing" is a firearm, not a 3 headed monster ready to devour you and your dog.

"I hope you have your permit." Why? You don't want to see me get into hot water for carrying this cannon?

After answering the question like it's the first time every time, the next question comes.

"Won't the police arrest you?" Well, I haven't been arrested yet. Oh. look there's a cop right there. "Well, let me step away from you before they start shooting."

"But you need a permit. They say it all the time on TV."
Aaaand that does it. So many inconsistencies. Ridiculous.

I've passed out the "Yes, it's Legal" flyer, and displayed the CA Penal Code, so I'm sure I'm making a dent, but I am surprised at how many sheeple there are out there. I am going to eat some red meat.

Just airing some frustration.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OPS MARINE wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one tired of hearing this question.  It comes in so many forms:

"Do you have a permit for that thing?" That "thing" is a firearm, not a 3 headed monster ready to devour you and your dog.

"I hope you have your permit."  Why?  You don't want to see me get into hot water for carrying this cannon?

After answering the question like it's the first time every time, the next question comes.

"Won't the police arrest you?"  Well, I haven't been arrested yet.  Oh. look there's a cop right there.  "Well, let me step away from you before they start shooting."

"But you need a permit.  They say it all the time on TV."
Aaaand that does it.  So many inconsistencies.  Ridiculous.

I've passed out the "Yes, it's Legal" flyer, and displayed the CA Penal Code, so I'm sure I'm making a dent, but I am surprised at how many sheeple there are out there.  I am going to eat some red meat.

Just airing some frustration.

That is society for you. No matter where you are, there is someone that thinks they know something (mmmm, TV?) or are completely ignorant and will think of something. Some places are more informed about certain things than others. That is why "good" encounters are excellent opportunities for education. Some people are just hoplophobic or arrogant and stuck in their ways and they are the ones that may get the education, but couldn't care any less and will remain arrogant.

Rusty

imported post

Just show them this

2nd-ammendment-1.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I love it when people ask about whether I have a license, and whether I would get in trouble, etc., etc.

One big reason I open carry is to advocate self-defense rights. By asking a question in a way that is not hostile or antagonistic, the questionerjust pasted a big sign on his forehead saying, "I am an advocacy target. Start talking to me."

So...I start advocating.

Look at it as an opportunity.

"Permit? Bless me, heavens, no. We still have some freedom left in (insert state name here)."

"But, I see on TV all the time that you need to register it/have a permit."

"You also see all kinds of other things that aren't true. No, no permit needed. We're still allowed to defend ourselves around here. Now, if you want to carry it concealed you do need a permit but not to openly carry."

You get the idea. Edit the script to fit your state's laws.

Try it. It is quite rewarding when a person says, "I was thinking about getting a gun after that (insert last big news crime story here). Maybe I'll have another look at that."

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I agree with Citizen, it depends on the way the question is posed. I love informing folks and hoping they join us in excercising our freedom. And maybe its different in California but most people who ask me here are really ignorant but like the fact we don't need a permit.

If they are just being jerks, I just shrug my shoulders and carry on about my business.

Plus I bet that woman that seemed to be under some kind of attack that was stopped because you carry was sure glad you do.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Citizen wrote:
I love it when people ask about whether I have a license, and whether I would get in trouble, etc., etc.

One big reason I open carry is to advocate self-defense rights. By asking a question in a way that is not hostile or antagonistic, the questionerjust pasted a big sign on his forehead saying, "I am an advocacy target. Start talking to me."

So...I start advocating.

Look at it as an opportunity.

"Permit? Bless me, heavens, no. We still have some freedom left in (insert state name here)."

"But, I see on TV all the time that you need to register it/have a permit."

"You also see all kinds of other things that aren't true. No, no permit needed. We're still allowed to defend ourselves around here. Now, if you want to carry it concealed you do need a permit but not to openly carry."

You get the idea. Edit the script to fit your state's laws.

Try it. It is quite rewarding when a person says, "I was thinking about getting a gun after that (insert last big news crime story here). Maybe I'll have another look at that."

^ This.

As frustrating and annoying as it might be, it is really very important that we exploit this opportunity to answer people's questions and give a testimony of who gun owners are and educate the uninitiated about the truth.

The reason is simple- we may be the only gun owner that they have ever had a conversation with.

chewy352

imported post

It gets old very fast but I always try to answer as many as my time/wife permits. If they remain negative or mean than I simply excuse myself but always remember to tell them to have a good day.

This is also why I would like to have the option of Concealed Carry. When I take the wife out on a date I still want to be able to protect her but I don't want the hassle of questions, police, or being asked to leave.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I think this is the third thread I've seen with almost the exact same title... we've all been there. Just remind yourself that every time you hear this type of question, you're experiencing a golden opportunity to change someone's mind.

There is no greater gift than knowledge. And every time you give that gift it's like throwing a spark into a tinder pile... there's a chance that the fires of liberty will be ignited in that persons heart and mind.