• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigander Travel Guide

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Hello Kentucky!:)

This summer I will be driving from Michigan to Tennessee, and I am posting in each state asking you what the rules are, so I dont get myself into trouble, any assistance would be appreciated. My CPL is suspended, and I dont know if it will be re activated by then.

Can I OC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I CC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I OC or CC in a car? with permit? Withoutpermit?

If I can CC, can I print?

What are your Pistol free zones?

Is your state 2A freindly?

Is there anything specific I need to know?

Can I OC / CC in a hotel with or without a permit?

Thanks, hope yoy enjoyed playing 20 questions Michigan edition:p

TheMrMitch

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Hello Kentucky!:)

This summer I will be driving from Michigan to Tennessee, and I am posting in each state asking you what the rules are, so I dont get myself into trouble, any assistance would be appreciated. My CPL is suspended, and I dont know if it will be re activated by then.

Can I OC? with permit? Withoutpermit? Without

Can I CC? with permit? Withoutpermit? With

Can I OC or CC in a car? with permit? Withoutpermit? On dash, in glove box, seatwithout.

If I can CC, can I print? Yes

What are your Pistol free zones? Schools, Gub places, PO Police/sheriff/jails
Is your state 2A freindly? Very
Is there anything specific I need to know?

Can I OC / CC in a hotel with or without a permit? Most places OC OK...permit needed to CC

Thanks, hope yoy enjoyed playing 20 questions Michigan edition:p
I'm sure others will add to it....I just BROADLY answered. Basically....CC=Permit....OC= OK.
Sent you a PM.:celebrate

aadvark

imported post

Government Buildings in Michigan are LEGAL!

I direct your attention to Michigan State Law :

750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.

Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.226, and

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(a) Taken down.

(b) Enclosed in a case.

(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982, and

750.231b Sale and safety inspection; persons exempt.

Sections 223 and 228 do not apply to a duly authorized police or correctional agency of the United States or of the state or any subdivision thereof, nor to the army, air force, navy or marine corps of the United States, nor to organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, nor to the national guard, armed forces reserves or other duly authorized military organizations, nor to a member of such agencies or organizations for weapons used by him for the purposes of such agencies or organizations, nor to a person holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his person issued by another state, nor to the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

History: Add. 1964, Act 215, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964, and

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994

Government Buildings are Legal under Michigan Law! Notice Preemption:

123.1101 Definitions.

As used in this act:

(a) “Local unit of government” means a city, village, township, or county. [This includes the 'all-mighty': City of Detroit

(b) “Pistol” means that term as defined in section 222 of the Michigan penal code, Act No. 328 of the Public Acts of 1931, being section 750.222 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991, and

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

123.1103 Permissible prohibitions or regulation.

This act does not prohibit a local unit of government from doing either of the following:

(a) Prohibiting or regulating conduct with a pistol or other firearm that is a criminal offense under state law.

(b) Prohibiting or regulating the transportation, carrying, or possession of pistols and other firearms by employees of that local unit of government in the course of their employment with that local unit of government.

123.1104 Prohibiting discharge of pistol or other firearm.

This act does not prohibit a city or a charter township from prohibiting the discharge of a pistol or other firearm within the jurisdiction of that city or charter township.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991.