• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Travel Questions

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Hello Tennessee!:)

This summer I will be driving from Michigan to Tennessee, and I am posting in each state asking you what the rules are, so I dont get myself into trouble, any assistance would be appreciated. My CPL is suspended, and I dont know if it will be re activated by then.

Can I OC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I CC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I OC or CC in a car? with permit? Withoutpermit?

If I can CC, can I print?

What are your Pistol free zones?

Is your state 2A freindly?

Is there anything specific I need to know?

Can I OC / CC in a hotel with or without a permit?

Thanks, hope yoy enjoyed playing 20 questions Michigan edition:p

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

This summer I will be driving from Michigan to Tennessee, and I am posting in each state asking you what the rules are, so I dont get myself into trouble, any assistance would be appreciated. My CPL is suspended, and I dont know if it will be re activated by then.

Can I OC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I CC? with permit? Withoutpermit?

Can I OC or CC in a car? with permit? Withoutpermit?

If I can CC, can I print?

What are your Pistol free zones?

Is your state 2A freindly?

Is there anything specific I need to know?

Can I OC / CC in a hotel with or without a permit?

Michigan to Tennessee by way of Ohio and Kentucky:

In Ohio, you need your CPL to carry inside of vehicle.

In Kentucky, carry inside of vehicle is legal if the pistol is carried in plain view or in the glovebox.

Both Ohio and Kentucky have full-state pre-emption of all firearm laws.

Tennessee has full-state pre-emption of firearm laws except those that were in place before April 1986?

In Tennessee, you need your CPL to carry inside of vehicle or CC and OC on foot.

See http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on the state of interest (Ohio & Kentucky) and scroll down to off-limits places.

Also see the MAPS on OCDO Home Page

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

Can I OC? with permit
Can I CC? with permit
Can I OC or CC in a car? both, with permit - without permit, firearm must be unloaded (including mags) and gun stored separately from ammo, i.e. ammo in trunk/gun in glove box or vis versa. long guns must be in plane fiew if in passenger compartment and unloaded (without permit) - may have loaded magazine but no round in chamber (with permit)

If I can CC, can I print? Printing or flashing not an issue in TN

What are your Pistol free zones? schools K12, most state buildings, fed buildings, court houses, some county/city parks (some county/cities opted out of carry in parks you'll need to check the locale you'll be in), establishments that sell alcohol for on site consumption, any business that has NFA signs posted, state park administrative buildings (does not include restroom facilities that are usually separate), if I messed anything for TN maybe someone else will fill in the gaps.

Is your state 2A freindly? Seems like it to me, some might not agree. I've been OC for near 18 months and have never been hasseled by LEO or anyone else about it.

Is there anything specific I need to know? TN has a Castle Doctrine, Some municipalities may have stricter gun laws than the state due to grandfather claus of state preemption.

Can I OC / CC in a hotel with or without a permit? With a permit your good, unless lobby is posted - without permit you may be limited to inside your room.

In Bold is for TN only. What part of TN are you headed?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:

Can I OC? with permit
Can I CC? with permit
Can I OC or CC in a car? both, with permit - without permit, firearm must be unloaded (including mags) and gun stored separately from ammo, i.e. ammo in trunk/gun in glove box or vis versa. long guns must be in plane fiew if in passenger compartment and unloaded (without permit) - may have loaded magazine but no round in chamber (with permit)

If I can CC, can I print? Printing or flashing not an issue in TN

What are your Pistol free zones? schools K12, most state buildings, fed buildings, court houses, some county/city parks (some county/cities opted out of carry in parks you'll need to check the locale you'll be in), establishments that sell alcohol for on site consumption, any business that has NFA signs posted, state park administrative buildings (does not include restroom facilities that are usually separate), if I messed anything for TN maybe someone else will fill in the gaps.

Is your state 2A freindly? Seems like it to me, some might not agree. I've been OC for near 18 months and have never been hasseled by LEO or anyone else about it.

Is there anything specific I need to know? TN has a Castle Doctrine, Some municipalities may have stricter gun laws than the state due to grandfather claus of state preemption.

Can I OC / CC in a hotel with or without a permit? With a permit your good, unless lobby is posted - without permit you may be limited to inside your room.

In Bold is for TN only. What part of TN are you headed?

Unloaded open carry is not against State Law. Unloaded means no ammo in firearm or in the vicinity. However, it may be against local law TCA 39-17-1314(a).

State Park admin buildings are not off limits TCA 39-17-1359(b)(1)(h). Even if posted Ibelieve they cannot regulate carry TCA 39-17-1359(e)(1).

Court Houses are not off limits unless posted with 39-17-1359. Court rooms where proceding are taking place are off limits TCA 39-17-1306(a).

TN is not open carry friendly. You must show your permit upon demand of law enforcement. So, unless they demand do not show it or tell them you are armed TCA 39-17-1351(n)(1).

If a property owner verbally tells you to leave you must.

TCA 39-17-1359(a) is where one my find the proper sign to prohibit carry.