• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 2264 Gun Show Bill

kschmadeka

imported post

Just reviewed this bill. While it appears to be completely rewritten from previous versions of the "gun show bill", ithas been crafted in the same way to make conducting a gun showa virtual legal impossibility.

The bill establishes liability for violations fora "licenseddealer", a "person who organizes, promotes, or otherwise sponsors a gun show", and "a person other than a dealer" who sells a gun. Violations are a gross misdemeanor.

The bill does NOT however establish liability for PURCHASERS. This means that if a Ceasefire operative joins WAC, wanders the show and finds someone willing to forgo the background check and make a sale, the seller and the entire WAC board gets charged with a violation, while the Ceasefire purchaser walks free.

This is Ceasefire and their friends for you. They tell us they only want background checks, and they keep bringing bills that would end gun shows entirely. They also say they only want what Oregon has. Well, Oregon doesn't have this by a longshot, as I recall they have a law that establishes an infraction for sellers only. The good news, this is what we can club them over the head with to bring this down again.

Also reviewed 2477, "establishing liability." The problem with this one seems obvious, (unless I'm mistaken,)compliance requires a background check that can't legally even be done by a private party. (Not that I want that to change.)

I have a counter-bill for these attacks on gun shows and private sales, called the "Protection Of Private Firearm Commerce" bill. http://frpwa.com/?page_id=22 Last time this issue came around though, I couldn't get WAC interested in it.

Trigger Dr

imported post

The bill does NOT however establish liability for PURCHASERS. This means that if a Ceasefire operative joins WAC, wanders the show and finds someone willing to forgo the background check and make a sale, the seller and the entire WAC board gets charged with a violation, while the Ceasefire purchaser walks free.

If they join WAC then they will have had a background check done. It is part of membership. BUT I still think this needs be shot down.

kschmadeka

imported post

It's not a question though of whether they can pass a background check, only of whether they can find someone at the showto make the purchase from without the background check. Soon as that happens, the WAC board, or any other show promoter, is liable.