• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question from a friend

MustangMike

imported post

I have a friend who recently purchased a SIG P220 .45 that he got in a private sale, is there any registering that needs to be done or would it be a problem if he open carried it?

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

MustangMike wrote:
I have a friend who recently purchased a SIG P220 .45 that he got in a private sale, is there any registering that needs to be done or would it be a problem if he open carried it?
Wisconsin does not have a gun registeration system. As long as he is legal own a gun, he can open carry, all he has to do is open carry it. oh, and obey all the restricitons.

comp45acp

imported post

We do not register our guns in Wisconsin. Private sales are fine. Your friend would be good to open carry that sidearm as long as they are legal to own it.

Uziel Gal

imported post

It may become a problem, only if it was confiscated by the police, and your friend does not have a bill of sale with the firearms serial number. You must have proof of ownership to have a firearm returned to you.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Uziel Gal wrote:
It may become a problem, only if it was confiscated by the police, and your friend does not have a bill of sale with the firearms serial number. You must have proof of ownership to have a firearm returned to you.
as long as you have the serial number written down at home, thats your proof.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Uziel Gal wrote:

Really? You mean like how people inventory thier belongings for insurance purposes. So a digital photo would suffice.

This makes sense, becasue WI does not have registeration system. They cannot run the serail number to see who owns it. Unless someone has reported that serial number stolen, then it should be returned. Personally, I would keep the receipt for extra measure.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Personally, I would keep the receipt for extra measure.
Could I borrow a cup of gravitas, please?

That's enough grabity-a$$ around here. I gotta quit this, it gave me the hiccups.

CarryOK

Joined:Mon Jan 18th, 2010 Location: Posts:1 Status: Offline Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2010 15:02
button2_left.gif
spacer.gif

button2_right.gif
button2_left.gif
spacer.gif

button2_right.gif
so much for not shoting at water for fear of a rickoshay

somebocy lost coscience dut to breathing to much water instead of too much grabity LOC

sockpuppet///over and out

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
BROKENSPROKET wrote:

That's enough grabity-a$$ around here. I gotta quit this, it gave me the hiccups.

CarryOK

Joined:Mon Jan 18th, 2010 Location: Posts:1 Status: Offline Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2010 15:02
button2_left.gif
spacer.gif

button2_right.gif
button2_left.gif
spacer.gif

button2_right.gif

somebocy lost coscience dut to breathing to much water instead of too much grabity LOC

Damn, they don't have a smilie icon scratchin his head.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
BROKENSPROKET wrote:

CarryOK

button2_left.gif
spacer.gif

button2_right.gif
button2_left.gif
spacer.gif

button2_right.gif

Damn, they don't have a smilie icon scratchin his head.
Master DougY , IS A J-RK OFF. pLease don't mind him, he is a bitter old troll, he does not represent the majority here, you will learn this in time.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Uziel Gal wrote:

Really? You mean like how people inventory thier belongings for insurance purposes. So a digital photo would suffice.

This makes sense, becasue WI does not have registeration system. They cannot run the serail number to see who owns it. Unless someone has reported that serial number stolen, then it should be returned. Personally, I would keep the receipt for extra measure.
actually having a picture as documentation would be excellent & the sales receipt if you have one.

__

Banned
imported post

thanks for the welcome. i will return the favor.

Massa doughie is welcome in my neighvbor hood befor g-loc-k34. just becauze i just signd on doesnt mean i have not lurked - stalkked. lol

i CarryOK a springfeild M1911 not tupperware to nowhere

imported post

Thank you kindly.

I know a bit of Greenwood's history, from being educated beyond usefulness, and what happened in 1920. That is of particular interest now and with this POSOTUS.

ETA: HO ho! Refreshing my fading memory, I found this, "Oklahoma represented change and provided a chance for African Americans..." at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa,_Oklahoma#The_Roots

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CarryOK wrote:
thanks for the welcome. i will return the favor.

Massa doughie is welcome in my neighvbor hood befor g-loc-k34. just becauze i just signd on doesnt mean i have not lurked - stalkked. lol

i CarryOK a springfeild M1911 not tupperware to nowhere
wow, dougy that` was fast move, from Wash island, to Oklahoma. how do you move so fast. everyone lets give him a hand he carries a 1911 that is also not made in the USA, yet he makes fun of our guns, i believe your Springfield frame is made in Brazil ? mine is made in Austria, hmmm I bet Manufacturing standards are higher in Austria.

imported post

Hmmph. Great thread title, 'Question from a friend'.

Notice CarryOk change of address? I don't think he'll be back. And his job had a familiar ring - karaoke parties for hire in doowntown Tulsa. I think he followed me here and for that I have apologized.

So, we have to write just as the lowest common denominator does or be called elite and carry the same gun as the lowest common denominator or be accused of lack of patriotism.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Carry effin' on.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hmmph. Great thread title, 'Question from a friend'.

Notice CarryOk change of address? I don't think he'll be back. And his job had a familiar ring - karaoke parties for hire in doowntown Tulsa. I think he followed me here and for that I have apologized.

So, we have to write just as the lowest common denominator does or be called elite and carry the same gun as the lowest common denominator or be accused of lack of patriotism.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ Goddman the Obamination and its teeth.

Carry effin' on.
I was not the one that`started beating his chest because he carries the superior Springfield 1911 & how it's so much better than what everyone else is carrying. So, whats that about being equal or not ????

Uziel Gal

imported post

Wisconsin State Statutes
968.20 Return of property seized.
(1) Any person claiming the right to possession of property seized pursuant to a search warrant or seized without a search warrant may apply for its return to the circuit court for the county in which the property was seized or where the search warrant was returned. The court shall order such notice as it deems adequate to be given the district attorney and all persons who have or may have an interest in the property and shall hold a hearing to hear all claims to its true ownership. If the right to possession is proved to the court's satisfaction, it shall order the property, other than contraband or property covered under sub. (1m) or (1r) or s. 173.12, 173.21 (4), or 968.205 returned if:

968.20 (1m)(b)

(b) If the seized property is a dangerous weapon or ammunition, the property shall not be returned to any person who committed a crime involving the use of the dangerous weapon or the ammunition. The property may be returned to the rightful owner under this section if the owner had no prior knowledge of and gave no consent to the commission of the crime. Property which may not be returned to an owner under this subsection shall be disposed of under subs. (3) and (4).

968.20 - ANNOT.
Under sub. (1m) (b), "rightful owner" refers to an innocent person who owned a firearm or ammunition at the time an offense was committed. State v. Williams, 148 Wis. 2d 852, 436 N.W.2d 924 (Ct. App. 1989).

968.20 - ANNOT.
The term "use" in sub. (1m) (b) requires more than than the mere fact that a firearm is with a person. It must be part of the crime in some way. State v. Perez, 2000 WI App 115, 235 Wis. 2d 238, 612 N.W.2d 374,99-3108.

968.20 - ANNOT.

This section establishes an in rem proceeding to establish true ownership of property. It does not authorize granting a money judgment to the rightful owner when seized property is missing or mistakenly returned to another as a judgment in an in rem proceeding is valid only against the property and not against a defendant or a defendant's assets. City of Milwaukee v. Glass, 2001 WI 61, 243 Wis. 2d 636, 628 N.W.2d 343,99-2389.

968.20 - ANNOT.

Sub. (1m) (b) prohibits the return of a dangerous weapon to a person convicted of carrying a concealed and dangerous weapon. State v. Perez, 2001 WI 79, 244 Wis. 2d 582, 628 N.W.2d 820,99-3108.

Now your absolutely right that in some Wisconsin Counties the "right to possession" may be proved to the court with relative ease. In Counties like Milwaukee or Dane if a dangerous weapon is seized and you are not charged with a crime, and you bought that weapon in a private sale without a bill of sale. Well, good luck getting the Courts to feel satisfied that they have to return it to you when all you can provide to prove in Court that it belongs to you is a serial number or a picture. All that I am suggesting is keeping a file of receipts for weapons bought and sold. Do you really want to buy a weapon from an individual who isn't willing to give you a receipt with their name, your name, description of weapon with serial number, and a date? Are you willing to own a weapon whose history is unknown to you without at the very least a dated document of when you took possession? Even if you are the kind of person who answers, "Yes, I want it" is it anyway logical to openly carry that particular weapon in Wisconsin.

Good Luck, and lets be careful out there.

Uziel

imported post

Uziel Gal wrote:
You must have proof of ownership to have a firearm returned to you.
Legal citation, please, from any jurisdiction!
Thank you for an on point citation.

Not questioning its authenticity, it certainly agrees with mine in all respects but format, what is your source, please? Or, if it is the LRB's distribution on CD, thank you very much for your re-formatting.