• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn on campus at GMU

hunter45

imported post

I just spotted my first unicorn! And it was on campus at George Mason University of all places. He was a middle aged AA male. He was walking in the opposite direction as me and I had to get to class, so I didn't get a chance to speak with him. Was it any of you guys??

nova

imported post

After my first class I drove around a bit hoping I could spot him but had no luck.

I was sitting there in class and checked facebook. Said [hunter45]
Just saw someone open carrying on campus at George Mason
and I quickly reached and patted my strong side to make sure I didn't forget to remove my holster before going to class this morning :lol::uhoh:

hunter45

imported post

In my criminology class today we had to fill out a survey and one of the questions was, "Students and faculty should be allowed to carry legally registered guns on campus." I obviously checked "strongly agree." Then I circled the word "registered" and wrote "There is no such thing as registered guns in VA!"

So I had a great first day. I got to see someone OC'ing and concealed carry on campus was mentioned in one my classes! :D

nova

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
*snip*

So I had a great first day. I got to see someone OC'ing and concealed carry on campus was mentioned in one my classes! :D
better than my first day at GMU :lol:

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
In my criminology class today we had to fill out a survey and one of the questions was, "Students and faculty should be allowed to carry legally registered guns on campus." I obviously checked "strongly agree." Then I circled the word "registered" and wrote "There is no such thing as registered guns in VA!"

In that case it should have been false, unless you want registered guns in VA?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Boy wouldn't that be a great start to the GMU PD's day: finally having something to do other that sit around.
Why - open carry on outdoor campus grounds is not even prohibited by GMU's penaltyless published regulation in the Virginia Administrative Code.

nova

imported post

Mike wrote:
NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
Boy wouldn't that be a great start to the GMU PD's day: finally having something to do other that sit around.
Why - open carry on outdoor campus grounds is not even prohibited by GMU's penaltyless published regulation in the Virginia Administrative Code.
It wouldn't stop the 911 calls from coming in though from uneducated people :)

eta: and I don't mean anything special by that, it happens elsewhere too.

t33j

imported post

I was under the impression that only CC had been addressed on VA public campuses

hunter45

imported post

hunter45 wrote:

Today in class he went over the survey results. When we got to the concealed carry on campus question, he said: "One student wrote that there is no gun registration in Virginia. I have no idea what they are talking about." :cuss:

hunter45

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
So did you speak up and fill the instructor in on what the law actually is?

I wanted to, but he changed the subject very quickly, it was at the end of the class. I had to send him an e-mail telling him which essay topic I wanted to write about (one of the topics is guns on campus, which I chose), so I set him straight in that e-mail. I provided him with a link to the VSP website that says:

Are firearms registered in Virginia?
With the exception of machine guns, firearms are not registered in Virginia.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

I wanted to, but he changed the subject very quickly, it was at the end of the class. I had to send him an e-mail telling him which essay topic I wanted to write about (one of the topics is guns on campus, which I chose), so I set him straight in that e-mail. I provided him with a link to the VSP website that says:

"like button" whoops, this isn't facebook!:p

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

I am predicting that you might not get a perfect score in this class.

hunter45

imported post

nuc65 wrote:
I am predicting that you might not get a perfect score in this class.

No, I did it in a very polite way. But I'd rather have him say the correct facts and get a bad grade than have him tell students false info about guns and get a good grade.

nova

imported post

No reported (related) incidents on GMU PD's website, meaning no one called 911, GMU PD know OC is legal on campus, or both.

nova

imported post

We will, eventually. Today I had lunch with a very pro-gun prof.
and
I parked my truck next to Hunter45's vehicle today also!

I think we'll see campus carry sooner than expected. I hope it is this year.

hunter45

imported post

nova wrote:
and

Haha, 4th floor of Sandy Creek? I wasn't paying attention to the vehicles around me when I left (around 12:40pm).

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

nova wrote:
and

So I would assume ol' Bobbo being in office will help us out more than when Kaine was? I still havent really followed the politics all that closely. I dont seem to have a whole lot of spare time to :(

But if we do get campus carry, will it be OC or CC?