• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in California? Nearly impossible

chrisopinion

imported post

Recently, I viewed what the news was reporting, growing number of citizens openly carring guns here in the bay area. I totally want to to do it, but How? There are so many schoolseverywhere, and isn't 1000 ft = 333 yards? Hell, if someboby reported "man with a gun", nearby schoolswould probably go on lock down. Can anyone here speak of experience?

Decoligny

imported post

chrisopinion wrote:
Recently, I viewed what the news was reporting, growing number of citizens openly carring guns here in the bay area. I totally want to to do it, but How? There are so many schoolseverywhere, and isn't 1000 ft = 333 yards? Hell, if someboby reported "man with a gun", nearby schoolswould probably go on lock down. Can anyone here speak of experience?
Nearly everyone here has already spoken from experience. Take a little time and read the posts that are already here. Then ask questions to clarify if needed.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

chrisopinion wrote:

First of all, hello. We welcome new members although will always be a bit apprehensive when someone mentions they "totally want to do it". Bearing arms is your right as an American though withrights come great responsibility. So please understand some may notappreciate self-defense expressed as if it were a roller coaster ride. Your actions will reflect how we are perceived.

There are many laws you must research before open carrying. I suggest reading this forums past posts for at least 2 weeks before doing anything. Even then, please read some views on how open carry may hurt the gun rights movement as a whole and then take a stance on that position with open ears. Many will say open carry should not be practiced for another 6 months before legal battles are won.