Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: Texas candidate for Governor Debra Medina calls out opponents on right to open carry

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11841641with video report

    SNIP

    Medina's message includes some pretty drastic changes to state laws because she says private property ownership, and gun ownership are the essential elements of freedom. . . . Medina also says Texans should be able to open carry and not "have to jump through a bunch of hoops."

  2. #2
    Regular Member Old Grump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Blue River, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    As a card carrying dinosaur I remember when most of the pickups, scouts and jeeps I saw in Texas had rifles or shotguns in racks and I opened carried during my time down there. Then they got silly and protected the people by doing away with all that silly gun toting stuff. I am glad to see them finally becoming a part of the free Republic again. Kind of sad when the drug cartel mules can cross the border and are better armed than the man on the street.

    You would think after Hennard shot up Luby's restaurant in Killeen Texas and had time to shoot, reload and shoot some more and nobody could defend themselves that Texas would have learned a lesson. I guess there is nothing more obstinate than a politician who fears guns.

    I hope the little lady wins, my brother is down in the DFW area and the only time he is able to defend himself is if he happens to be home. As a long haul truck driver that isn't often. As it is right now I have zero interest to go back down there but then its almost as bad here in Wisconsin. I have the legal right but if I open carry I will be arrested, my gun confiscated and I will have to face the judge on a disturbing the public charge and fight to get my gun back. You gotta love it.
    Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787

    Post imported post

    When I went through Lackland in the day, we used to call getting closer to graduation the "funky cold Medina," as we did so on the Medina annex.

    Kudos to Ms. Medina to helping us get closer to a reality where law-abiding citizens will one day enjoy their Constitutional rights to walk down Main Street protecting themselves in accordance with the Law.

    Until then, let's listen to Ton Loc

    Or perhaps not - sounds like a hormone problem...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alvin, Texas, USA
    Posts
    43

    Post imported post

    Ok here is the deal on Medina; we have to get everybody that cares about freedom in Texas to vote for Medina in the primary. In Texas the candidates that are in the primary must get at least 50% of the votes to win the primary.



    If none of the candidates get greater than 50% of the votes then the top two candidates will have a run off in April.



    So we need to spread the word to everyone that vote that they need to vote in the primary in March and not just wait until the November elections.



    This year the primary election could be ournext steptowards open carry in Texas.[/i][/b]



    I also talked with Debra about her thoughts on Casinos in Texas and her response was (she thinks the people of Texas should be allowed to vote on the issue) I agree.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318

    Post imported post

    Old Grump wrote:
    I hope the little lady wins, my brother is down in the DFW area and the only time he is able to defend himself is if he happens to be home. As a long haul truck driver that isn't often. As it is right now I have zero interest to go back down there but then its almost as bad here in Wisconsin. I have the legal right but if I open carry I will be arrested, my gun confiscated and I will have to face the judge on a disturbing the public charge and fight to get my gun back. You gotta love it.
    Are you talking about here or there?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    I would love for Texas to be on my list of places I could stand to live.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lancaster County, PA
    Posts
    118

    Post imported post

    Here's a pretty basic question: does Rick Perry like open carry? He seems to be pretty pro-gun for the most part. OC in Texas would be a big step forward for us, but an even bigger step that needs to be taken is campus carry legalization and prohibition of universities from excluding it. How is Medina on that one? It needs to get done, not just for Texas but for the whole country.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    1,877

    Post imported post

    Apparently he is not "pro-gun" enough, mostly just talk. If he were so pro-gun, we'd HAVE OC in Texas by now!

    I think most/all of us here -- were we Governor of Texas -- would have made itone of our must-do goals from Day One of taking office.

    But then for decades now, Republicans (even Republican Presidents) have done so little -- compared to what they COULD have done when holdingthe majority -- so maybe it's par for the course...so don't expect much.

    -- John D.
    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

  9. #9
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ellis County, Texas, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    cloudcroft wrote:
    Apparently he is not "pro-gun" enough, mostly just talk. If he were so pro-gun, we'd HAVE OC in Texas by now!

    I think most/all of us here -- were we Governor of Texas -- would have made itone of our must-do goals from Day One of taking office.

    But then for decades now, Republicans (even Republican Presidents) have done so little -- compared to what they COULD have done when holdingthe majority -- so maybe it's par for the course...so don't expect much.

    -- John D.
    Most politicians are somewhat cautious in deed, though perhaps not in word. Let's face it -- until OpenCarry.org burst onto the scene in Texas with the petition and bill during the last legislative session, the topic of open carry for sidearmswas a non-issue in Texas. Sad, but true. If you polled most voters -- let alone the average public -- I doubt open carry would be in their top 20 most important issues. Thus, smart politicians try to cater to the highest priorities of the electorate. The fact is that we are activists on this issue but that places us in a small minority.

    Let's be fair to the governor. He's signed every pro-gun bill put before him. I can't post citations right now, but it is my opinion that he would have signed campus carry and parking lot carry. Those were the two highest profile gun bill during the last session. Even when open carry came up, Perry didn't oppose it. If I recall his statement correctly, it was something non-commital like "that's interesting and we'll work with the Legislature on that".

    I believe that if open carry had enough support that a bill passed the Legislature, he'd sign it. Thus, what are we really criticizing him for? Not loudly promoting an open carry bill last session? Rememer that we had many CHL-holders, the Campus Carry people, and TSRA that opposed open carry for their own reasons. We're going to knock him for not stumping for an idea that didn't even have 1 sponsor in either house? Don't get me wrong, I WANT open carry, but I'm just looking at the politics of the matter and I recognize that the dynamics weren't favorable.

    I haven't decided who I will support in the primary yet. Medina seems to be a libertarian and the more votes that she gets, the more the eventual Republican nominee will pay attention to some of those issues. She certainly is making the establishment take notice. That's a good thing. That said, let's be fair to Governor Perry. Whether or not he's the man going forward, I think that we can hardly complain about his actions in office as it relates to RKBA.

    SA-TX

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    SA-TX wrote:
    Thus, what are we really criticizing him for? Not loudly promoting an open carry bill last session?
    This is an excellent and usually overlooked point.

    Politicians who preach an agenda and go out telling The People what they should want, are the opposite of representing their electorate.

    We're used to seeing them press their agendas, and often fall into wishing to see them tout our own in the same incorrect fashion.

    A politician that shuts the hell up an does what s/he is told is desirable, not one who presses an agenda telling us what we should accept. Even when that interest is our own.

    I should like to seem them promoting interests to each other, and getting feedback about their activities. But when they come out telling us what for, they've lost their way. Even when they preach what we ask them too, we become part of the problem by expecting or requesting that behavior.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    1,877

    Post imported post

    Signed bills...okay, but what did he initiate? What leadership/initiative did he demonstrate? None. So why the "caution?" Why wait for things to come to your desk, at least get them started in the pipeline yourself (get the bill's sponsors busy and gather support for it). IMO, the Governor= Leadership. Haven't we about had enough of "cautious" politicians?

    Like I said, maybe that's just me.

    "I am a simple soldier, and as a soldier...I see things simply.” ~General Ursus (Planet of the Apes)

    -- John D.

    (formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Old Grump wrote:
    As a card carrying dinosaur I remember when most of the pickups, scouts and jeeps I saw in Texas had rifles or shotguns in racks and I opened carried during my time down there. Then they got silly and protected the people by doing away with all that silly gun toting stuff. I am glad to see them finally becoming a part of the free Republic again. Kind of sad when the drug cartel mules can cross the border and are better armed than the man on the street.

    You would think after Hennard shot up Luby's restaurant in Killeen Texas and had time to shoot, reload and shoot some more and nobody could defend themselves that Texas would have learned a lesson. I guess there is nothing more obstinate than a politician who fears guns.

    I hope the little lady wins, my brother is down in the DFW area and the only time he is able to defend himself is if he happens to be home. As a long haul truck driver that isn't often. As it is right now I have zero interest to go back down there but then its almost as bad here in Wisconsin. I have the legal right but if I open carry I will be arrested, my gun confiscated and I will have to face the judge on a disturbing the public charge and fight to get my gun back. You gotta love it.
    umm sorry this is a bit random and off topic but didnt you used to post on the NRA group on myspace as grumpy old man?



  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,508

    Post imported post

    I don't have an issue with Perry when it comes to guns, although I would have liked it if he'd thumped his bully pulpit a bit.

    That's about the only area I don't have a problem with him, though. He's a big government spender, in love with eminent domain, and in the pocket of the Cintra developers (Trans-Texas Corridor contractors), and the makers of Gardasil.

    KBH needs to keep on hanging out with her sisterhood in DC.

    I have no delusions about Medina's chances, but I believe she's shaking up the scene, and the next governor, whomever it is, will have to pay attention to the fact that this unknown former county chair had such a meteoric rise in the polls.


  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705

    Post imported post

    I suspect Perry will win, he's the establishment candidate.Medina is actually benefiting from the Perry Vs. KBH ads ripping each other apart. Neither one is an ideal candidate from a constitutional purist's perspective, so I hope Medina either squeaks out a win, or makes a huge showing.

    I will be voting against the demosucks regardless.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  15. #15
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Glenn Beck interviewed her on his radio program this morning. It didn't go very well:

    http://www.glennbeck.com/content/art...cle/196/36197/

    TFred


  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Graham, Texas
    Posts
    313

    Post imported post

    Medina Responded saying she isn't and never has been a truther. I'm still voting for her.

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705

    Post imported post

    DopaVash wrote:
    Medina Responded saying she isn't and never has been a truther. I'm still voting for her.
    She backpedaled. Her remarks to Beck were still stupid. She's attempting to curry favor with the truther idiots, while not alienating those of us who do not wear tinfoil head gear.

    I'll still support her in the primaries, but I would feel a lot better about her if she renounced the "truth" movement. It's a band of mindless malcontents who hang on the words of ranting raving lunatics like Alex "captain bull$h!t" Jones. I call them tinfoil sheep. Another bunch of loud mouths who attempt to make their numbers look larger by screaming.

    I even saw an op-ed from one of these turds claiming "84% of the population believes the government was in on 9/11". Well if that were true, every politician would be trying to appeal to these idiots. Instead they're pretending to care about the constitution and spending.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    224

    Post imported post

    Medina made the mistake of trying not to alienate anyone. Beck showed himself for the arrogantshill he is. Hismockery ofMedina andpathetic fawning over Perry at the end of the interview was sickening. Medina is the only pro liberty candidate and only pro-open carry candidate in that race to my knowledge.

  19. #19
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    JT wrote:
    Medina made the mistake of trying not to alienate anyone. Beck showed himself for the arrogantshill he is. Hismockery ofMedina andpathetic fawning over Perry at the end of the interview was sickening. Medina is the only pro liberty candidate and only pro-open carry candidate in that race to my knowledge.
    Beck's not perfect but he full well realizes that a candidate unwilling to alienate anyone will win no elections.

    It will be interesting to follow, that's for sure.

    TFred

  20. #20
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ellis County, Texas, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    PrayingForWar wrote:
    DopaVash wrote:
    Medina Responded saying she isn't and never has been a truther. I'm still voting for her.
    She backpedaled. Her remarks to Beck were still stupid. She's attempting to curry favor with the truther idiots, while not alienating those of us who do not wear tinfoil head gear.

    I'll still support her in the primaries, but I would feel a lot better about her if she renounced the "truth" movement. It's a band of mindless malcontents who hang on the words of ranting raving lunatics like Alex "captain bull$h!t" Jones. I call them tinfoil sheep. Another bunch of loud mouths who attempt to make their numbers look larger by screaming.

    I even saw an op-ed from one of these turds claiming "84% of the population believes the government was in on 9/11". Well if that were true, every politician would be trying to appeal to these idiots. Instead they're pretending to care about the constitution and spending.
    +1. Conspiracy theories don't play well in politics because you are supposed toact onreason and demonstrate good judgement as an elected official. Without proof, how can you reasonably conclude that the US governmentcaused/willingly ignored/planned/allowed the worst attack on our country since Pearl Harbor? It is madness and the kiss of death. The only case where something like that has been proven to be true was during WWII and the bombing of Coventry (the British couldn't evacuate the town or give any warning or the German's would know that their code had been cracked and that was too valuable to give up).

    Despite her libertarian positions, that is a deal-breaker for me. As cynical as I am about the effectiveness of government in general -- and the federal government in particular -- I would never give any such claim evenlistener-inferrred support by saying "I'm not going to take a position on that.".

    Glenn was exactly right in dispatching her. If you can't say with honesty and confidence that the 9/11 truth stuff is crackpot nonsense until clear proof otherwise can be produced, you can't be trusted to be the governor of Texas.

    That's too bad. In all likelihood she wasn't going to be the nominee anyway. Her real use is in pushing Perry & KBH to come up with liberty-based solutions to the challenges that Texas faces. If the media trumpets her "I won't take a position on that", her support will probably diminish substantially and she might not even be able to fill that role any longer.

    SA-TX

  21. #21
    Regular Member rodbender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Navasota, Texas, USA
    Posts
    2,524

    Post imported post

    Hey, Grump, call your brother and tell him to get his butt to the polls and vote for Medina.

    Now to the perry question. Perry is a very close friend of Glenn Beck, so what else would you expect him to do. He claim that he was pretty much inundated with emails about her being a thruther. Mike Church on Sirius has said that he had already interviewed her twice and that he had not gotten one, not even one email raising this question. HMMMM.....Something smells fishy here, mighty fishy I'd say.

    Trans Texas Corridor: He says it is dead, now. But just a few months ago I heard him say in a short interview that he still had hopes of reviving it. HMMMM.....Something smells fishy here, mighty fishy I'd say.

    Gardisil: Well, what else can I say about this part of it. He signed an executive order saying that all, and I mean ALL girls at a certain grade level had to have this vaccination. Give me a break, Executive order? Sounds like he's pact icing being presidential to me. HMMMM.....Something smells fishy here, mighty fishy I'd say.

    There are other issues with this RINO but the list is long and undistinguished and probably not enough space on the server to handle it so I'll close it for now just to say:

    "HMMMM.....Something smells fishy here, mighty fishy I'd say."
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas , ,
    Posts
    34

    Post imported post

    You got it rodbender.

    In reading through these posts, its sadly obvious that the members, and people in general, enjoy being lied to. If you ACTUALLY WATCH the debates, these two current politicians fumble and fold when they are asked a direct question. Nobody is up in arms about that. Debra's answer to Beck, which has become a deal breaker for some, was an honest answer. She said there are good questions raised. Questions raised does not mean "the government did it." Watch Jesse Ventura in any interview and you'll understand this. Maybe you didn't like the answer, but you should respect the honesty. If that was a deal breaker for you, I urge you to vote for perry. When you come back from the poll, find a hammer and start hitting your thumb. Eventually you'll stop because it hurts. Maybe then you'll learn that you DONT get a different result from the same action.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    I was disappointed with Debra's response to Beck re 9/11 truther credibility. I'd like to think her unrehearsed responsewas merely an amateurish attempt at being evenhanded and open-minded. But, for me anyway, it was a clumsy attempt which had gone spectacularly awry. Chalk it up to her being a neophyte? Who really knows for sure. Very disappointing, indeed. Frankly, from her response to Beck I simply don't know if she actually harbors serious 9/11 truther beliefs or not. SO, while I am buoyed by her refreshingly no-nonsense states rights and constitution-first stances, unless she clears this up I'm afraid my quandary stands. I had such great hopes for her. I wish her well.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,508

    Post imported post

    I've watched the professional spinners spin away all of Perry's and KBH's non-responses and outright prevarications during the debate, and admiringly state they displayed a good command of the stage.

    Medina isn't a polished politician. That's about +300 in her favor to start with. That she didn't have a professionally polished ready-made response to the "truther" question is to her benefit, no matter how many are quick to abandon her at the first sign of un-slickness.


  25. #25
    Lone Star Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Texas, , USA
    Posts
    98

    Post imported post

    botheyesonyou wrote:
    You got it rodbender.

    In reading through these posts, its sadly obvious that the members, and people in general, enjoy being lied to. If you ACTUALLY WATCH the debates, these two current politicians fumble and fold when they are asked a direct question. Nobody is up in arms about that. Debra's answer to Beck, which has become a deal breaker for some, was an honest answer. She said there are good questions raised. Questions raised does not mean "the government did it." Watch Jesse Ventura in any interview and you'll understand this. Maybe you didn't like the answer, but you should respect the honesty. If that was a deal breaker for you, I urge you to vote for perry. When you come back from the poll, find a hammer and start hitting your thumb. Eventually you'll stop because it hurts. Maybe then you'll learn that you DONT get a different result from the same action.
    I totally agree, Medina won the debates hands down. Perry just flashed his smile around like hisbrother G.W. Bush always did. Hutchison couldn't answer a question when asked it repeatedly (I think 5 times on the same direct question - Would you support overturning Roe v. Wade ?). Medina was the only person to ever mention the Constitution. Pretty evident that she's the only one that values it.

    Anyway, she's still got my vote. Beck didn't fool me with that irrelevant crap. Read her better-thought-out response on her website. It's completely reasonable.

    I'm not sure if some of you guys remember that Debra Medina is FOR open carry. She didn't say she'swilling to consider it, like Perry. And she won't flat out oppose it, like KBH would. She is FOR it. Remember, she showed up packing at the rally back in October.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •