• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in the car

Edward Peruta

imported post

NickNT,

I'm not mad and had no intention of comming down on a person who has not been given correct informaiton.

And for the record, I didn't say Goldberg was the first case charge I found, I said that it was the last time I am aware of that an indiviudal was arrested or had their permit revoked for Carrying Openly while in possession of a vaild permt. I AM aware of one or two cases where open carry was done in a manner that went beyond reasonable.

Just keep reading and learn as much as you can.

Ed Peruta

Edward Peruta

imported post

First,

Immediately go to DPS and apply for a State Eligibility Certificate.

Breach of Peace arrests and/or convictions are NOT disqualifying eventsfor the Certificate.

Before your permit can be revoked, the Special License and Firearms Unit is required toconduct an investigation of the incident to determine if your actions make you an unsuitable person to possess a Permit to Carry.

Faced with any form of threat, I personally don't believe that exposing a weapon would meet the intent of Breach of Peace. Even if your actions started the encounter, the other operator should have remained calm and NOT engaged you any further.

I would find, make contact with, and speak to, a criminal defenseattorney and discuss the facts and ramifications of the arrest.

Iffor any reasonthe charges are disposed of by a nolle or dismissal, make sure you have the Judgeorder ALL records of the arrest expunged, erased and/sealed including any administrative records that may have been generated by the incident.

I understand you received a summons, this is permitted for Breach of Peace, but what were the charges lodged against the other operator?

GoldCoaster

imported post

So what I'm gathering is that you were the victim of someone trying to swerve at you and thinking that perhaps an accident was imminent you moved your pistol from the unsecured glove box to the center console in the hopes that if there was a collision that the firearm would be under your physical control and not go flying around the passenger compartment or worse still be ejected from the vehicle where someone may find it.

I agree with Ed (as usual) get hold of competent counsel, delete your original posting (this board gets monitored by DPS and locals too I bet) and good luck to you!

scottt

imported post

Thanks Ed, very good words of advice. I unfortunately do not know the charges he got, possibly reckless driving or endangerment? Can I request this? I will follow up with the DPS tomorrow as you have stated.

I am just completely blown back by this.

Thanks again for the quick response.