• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Western Slope OC individuals and groups

Pat-inCO

imported post

Why bother?

Most people on the West Slope will carry if they want to. They do not need special organizations to "help" them with their "rights".

While I'm sure there are liberal hotbeds (Aspen comes to mind), anywhere else is so laid back that someone with a gun on their hip is basically ignored.

If there is no problem, why do we need a solution? :shock:

Pat-inCO

imported post

since9 wrote:
Pat-inCO wrote:
If there is no problem, why do we need a solution? :shock:
To head off any issues which may bring about a problem.
If this were back when "Slick Willy" was prez. I might agree. This is a lot more than ten years after that, and more pressing issues (such as the UN attempting to take away our guns) are of real concern.

Personally, I find creating dragons, just to be able to slay them, a waste of time. Add to that what obummer has done, a lot of people see right through needless efforts.

Patriot Paul

imported post

I guess my take on it is that I don't want us to BECOME like other "progressive" areas. If we do not use and maintain our rights they could easily be taken away...maybe I'm just a parinoid Constitutional wacko but that is my take.

What is this OC group for then anyway if you feel there is no need?

Paul

cscitney87

imported post

Patriot Paul wrote:
I guess my take on it is that I don't want us to BECOME like other "progressive" areas. If we do not use and maintain our rights they could easily be taken away...maybe I'm just a parinoid Constitutional wacko but that is my take.

Paul
Paul I feel you. Keep carrying and organizing. I support your efforts 100% but I am on the other side of the divide my friend. Please don't slow your efforts securing our unalienable rights.

Pat-inCO

imported post

Patriot Paul wrote:

Paul
HUH?!

You changed directions so quickly I almost got whip-lash.

This is a discussion board.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pat-inCO wrote:
Personally, I find creating dragons, just to be able to slay them, a waste of time. Add to that what obummer has done, a lot of people see right through needless efforts.

It's not creating anything. It's simply being ready to slay dragons by legal means, grassroots efforts, whatever it takes, should one come along.

We don't create the anti-gun dragons. But they are out there, so it's better to be prepared as an organized group before they do come along.

Or think of it as "whack a mole." If you're not prepared to whack problems which do arise, before you know it, you've got ten moles to worrry about.

Or ten dragons.

CO-Joe

imported post

Pat-inCO wrote:
Patriot Paul wrote:

Paul
HUH?!

You changed directions so quickly I almost got whip-lash.

This is a discussion board.
Correction: This is a pro-gun, open-carry-advocating discussion board, existing expressly to promote adoption of these ideals where they are outlawed, and to defend them everywhere else.

If the OP feels there is a need, or even a potential future need to organize and educate people at a local level, who are you to say otherwise? To use your dragon analogy, he's not creating dragons to slay, he's fortifying his home against dragons. Like Franklin once said, An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I hope you're not one of those myopic boneheads who always believes a unilateral approach is an ideal to response a multilateral problem. However, beyond that I have to admit, you sound rather trollish, or perhaps COINTELPROsie--or maybe it's just your time of the month.:quirky

Pat-inCO

imported post

CO-Joe wrote:
I hope you're not one of those myopic boneheads who always believes a unilateral approach is an ideal to response a multilateral problem. However, beyond that I have to admit, you sound rather trollish, or perhaps COINTELPROsie--or maybe it's just your time of the month.:quirky
Sounds a lot more like your time of the month.

Let me REPEAT again. Why try to create an organization where - none - is needed?

The West Slope - DOES NOT NEED - an organization to handle non existent problems.

I OC when I want. I have several friends that OC when they want. ALL with NO PROBLEM.

If that is over your head, then so be it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pat-inCO wrote
Let me REPEAT again. Why try to create an organization where - none - is needed?

The West Slope - DOES NOT NEED - an organization to handle non existent problems.

I OC when I want. I have several friends that OC when they want. ALL with NO PROBLEM.

Your argument is based on the assumption in your second line above that the problem is non-existent. I disagree with that assumption. In your third line, you say that the problem is simply non-existence for OC today, a statement with which I do agree.

Perhaps the conflict is that your definition of "problem" and mine are two different things:

1. Yours is the immediate problem of OC, today, which isn't a problem.

2. Mine is the longer-term problem where the anti-gun nuts aren't going away, and continue to try and pass legislation and win court cases favorable to getting any carry, OC or CC, knocked out of the park.

It's the latter issue to which I and perhaps the folks in Mesa are referring, and it's definitely a problem, not only there, but everywhere.

CO-Joe

imported post

Pat-inCO wrote

You OC when you want? Golly, you deserve a cookie.

See, here's my perspective: the NRA was formed in 1871--some time before there was a any political need, and it was formed for reasons entirely tangential to the NRA we know today. Hell, they didn't even worry about legislation, until the second amendment faced its first real opposition in the 1930s.

And that's the BIG point here, Great Thick-Skulled One. If you get a bunch of like minded people together before the situation becomes dire, you make any future fights much easier... And if you gather a real big single-minded mob of people, the fight might go away entirely.

If the NRA had the foresight to get its political shit together back in the early 20th century, chances are the NFA could have been fought, forestalled, or drastically reduced in scope. But nobody had their finger on the button, and rallying people at the 11th hour is a significant challenge, even in the modern Age of Communications. If that's the kind of strategy you choose to use, you're doomed to failure from the onset.

If you don't think the cali-cancer is coming to your little corner of the world right this moment, that's fine. Maybe you're right. But maybe you're not. It is coming sooner or later, though, mark my word.

If you live in GJ, you should also know that like Denver, Grand Junction is a home rule municipality, and like Denver, the Meyer decision sets precedent and would be upheld in the event your city leaders decide a new ordinance which "regulates" OC is prudent--especially since Grand Junction is the largest municipality on the western slope (the same argument Denver used). It's painfully easy for them to do.

If you don't want to be a member of some group, movement or whatever--then just don't, but shut up about it. I think it's more than a little screwed up to come in here and browbeat someone who shows the providence to needed to fix something before it becomes a problem.
Code: