• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about buying a pistol?

Crypto

imported post

Have a question:

1. Can I have a Active Military, CPL Holder buy a gun for me?

Is this legal?

Or is this more like being 15 and asking to buy beer on the street corner?

Anyways, thats what i'm looking for. I would like to get a military discount. I have a military ID and dd214. Problem is my ID is expired. I currently have a CPL. I currently live in puyallup.

Anyone willing to do this for me?

If it is illegal, then forget about it. I will just have to pay the extra 120 dollars for the pistol.

Adding a question here:

2. If it is illegal does anyone know the rcw for it?

Crypto

imported post

Ya my military id expired in 2004

Thanks for the link also :)

ya I dont want a felony. I will pay the extra money.

However, the term is widely used within the context of United States federal gun laws, whereby a straw purchase is defined as any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is acting as a proxy for another person. The law does not distinguish between someone who is purchasing on behalf of a person who legally cannot purchase or possess a firearm, and one who is not. In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

If it is a gift then yes they can buy it for you, because you are legally able to own and buy one for yourself.

However if you give them money and buy it for you and they answer "Yes" on the 4473 on the is it for you question, then you and the buyer get the very big troubles!

Bobarino

imported post

it's only a straw purchase if the end recipient is ineligible to own a firearm under federal law. meaning, if you could go into a store and buy a gun with no problems (pass the NICS check etc, which you obviously did since you have a CPL) then any other eligible person can buy a gun and give it to you perfectly legally.

Bobby

Crypto

imported post

ya, my grandpa is retired from the military but he doesn't have a CPL. So, i would have to wait the waiting period for the gun.

I just need someone that is a LEO or Military with a CPL to get it for me. I have the money.

Everyone likes to save alittle money. Where you can. :)

Tawnos

imported post

Bobarino wrote:
it's only a straw purchase if the end recipient is ineligible to own a firearm under federal law. meaning, if you could go into a store and buy a gun with no problems (pass the NICS check etc, which you obviously did since you have a CPL) then any other eligible person can buy a gun and give it to you perfectly legally.

Bobby
That information is incorrect.
From the ATF: An example of an illegal straw purchase
is as follows: Mr. Smith asks Mr.
Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr.
Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the
money for the firearm. If Mr. Jones fills
out Form 4473, he violates the law by
falsely stating that he is the actual buyer
of the firearm. Mr. Smith also violates
the law because he has unlawfully aided
and abetted or caused the making of
false statements on the form.
Where a person purchases a firearm
with the intent of making a gift of the
firearm to another person, the person
making the purchase is indeed the true
purchaser. There is no straw purchaser
in these instances. In the above example,
if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm
with his own money to give to Mr. Smith
as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could
lawfully have completed Form 4473.
The use of gift certificates would also
not fall within the category of straw purchases.
The person redeeming the gift
certificate would be the actual purchaser
of the firearm and would be properly
reflected as such in the dealer's records.

kito109654

imported post

It could be argued:

Intent cannot be proven. Hypothetically, one could buy the gun and legally sell it to another. One could even write up a bill of sale as a receipt. You'd technically be telling the truth on 4473. You are the actual buyer, you're just gonna resell it.

I'm not advocatingdoing thatbut as I understand it, it would work though not be strictly legal becuase intent was actually there.

Crypto

imported post

Sounds like, if I want to be 100% legal. Is to just pay the extra 120 dollars for the pistol :).

Its a good question though. Seems like it could go either way.

kito109654

imported post

Crypto wrote:
Sounds like, if I want to be 100% legal. Is to just pay the extra 120 dollars for the pistol :).

Its a good question though. Seems like it could go either way.
Agreed! I just like playing devil's advocate.

Crypto

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
Agreed! I just like playing devil's advocate.
I don't know anyone in the military or retired with a CPL. If I did, I would probably go down to the gun shop and talk and be up front with the guy and see what the gun shop said about the issue.

I can't be the only one who has thought about doing this. I'm sure this is a age old question.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

As many have stated it will be a straw purchase and illegal and if you do not think so, go to your local PD and asked them if they will do it for you!

You know this sounds more like a Troll or Bloomberg Boys asking the question, it may not be but you never know.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

kito109654 wrote:
The OCDO members that called "troll!"

Some of ya'll are super quick to do it and too many have called this guy a troll for no damn reason.
Well, we still haven't met him. I could totally BS another personality.

I'm just saying.

Crypto

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
kito109654 wrote:
The OCDO members that called "troll!"

Some of ya'll are super quick to do it and too many have called this guy a troll for no damn reason.
Well, we still haven't met him. I could totally BS another personality.

I'm just saying.
I told ya before poosharker, I will meet ya one of these days. :)
I need to buy a gun though. lol

I'm actually about 100 bucks short right now for a full priced pistol.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Crypto wrote:
I don't know anyone in the military or retired with a CPL. If I did, I would probably go down to the gun shop and talk and be up front with the guy and see what the gun shop said about the issue.

I can't be the only one who has thought about doing this. I'm sure this is a age old question.

Who is offering the discount?

The gun manufacturer....the gun shop...both?

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Crypto wrote:
I told ya before poosharker, I will meet ya one of these days. :)
I need to buy a gun though. lol
Ah, so you want to get murdered in billiards also eh?
I already kicked Ayrk45XD's arse 9-3 after the last meet :D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Crypto wrote:
The gunshop has a military program that allows you to get a pistol about 125 dollars off the normal manufactures price.

What are the parameters of the gunshop's program eligibility? What is specified?

What gun are you looking to purchase?