• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about schools

shattenjager

imported post

I live next to an elementary school and work next to a private elementary school. Question is, my house is ok to carry at, i would assume, but inside my business is it ok to carry?

shattenjager

imported post

I am in CA, unfortunately, however it's all sort of fuzzy as to the whole "school zone" thing. I'm sure I'm ok to carry at home on my property, even thought there is a school across the street, I just can't go outside armed, lol. But the main question is at my business, inside the actual building, being that there is a school next door. I would think that inside the building, since it is private property, open carry would be ok. Anyone know the facts?

shattenjager

imported post

Found it! Under Exemptions after 626.9

From the CalGuns wiki:

Code:
626.9.  (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as
the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the
person knows, or [i]reasonably should know[/i], is a school zone,
as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is
with the written permission of the school district
superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school
authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).
Here is the EXEMPTION

Code:
(c) Subdivision (b)  does not apply to the possession of a
firearm under any of the following circumstances:
(1) Within a place of residence or 
place of business or 
on private property, 
if the place of residence, place of business, or private
property is not part of the school grounds and the possession
of the firearm is otherwise lawful.