• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

torn and dirty flag at police station

vegasche1023

imported post

Went into police station to register my gun today. I look up at flagpole and notice the American flag badly torn and dirty. Don't know if I overreacted, but I went it there and gave the desk sergeant some very nasty words. My buddy and gf that were with me said I overreacted BIGTIME.Just thought I'd post and see what you people would have said or done.

MatieA

imported post

Not at all. I hounded my last employer for leaving the flag up all night with NO light on it until they got tired of hearing about it and installed a light. I have also got on various people in my surrounding community that fly flags all night and do not have lights on them.

Nozoki

imported post

Sounds to me like you over-reacted. Maybe you could have expressed your concerns about the flag without using "nasty words". I fly my flag 24/7 and replace it when it starts to fade or show wear. I don't light it all night. Seems like a waste of electricity when the only ones that will be able to see it are the possums and raccoons.

MatieA

imported post

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

American Flag Etiquette. [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
line-stars.jpg

Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

• The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
  • The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
  • The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
  • The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
  • The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
  • The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
  • The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
  • The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
  • When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
  • The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
  • When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.
Read a more comprehensive set of flagetiquette rules for display of the American Flag.

Our goal is to do our small part to inspire pride in this great country of ours. If you have suggestions or comments for us, we'd appreciate your dropping us a note by clicking here.
If you'd like to spread the word and help others find USA Flag Site, you can link to us from your web site.
[/font]

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Thanks for the link. I'll say that there are alot of things wrong with and in this country, but I still love this country, and the Stars & Stripes shall ALWAYS be shown the proper respect.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:
Went into police station to register my gun today. I look up at flagpole and notice the American flag badly torn and dirty. Don't know if I overreacted, but I went it there and gave the desk sergeant some very nasty words. My buddy and gf that were with me said I overreacted BIGTIME.Just thought I'd post and see what you people would have said or done.
Yeah, if you gave anyone "some very nasty words," I'd say you overreacted. A few polite words, such as "I noticed your flag has exceeded its service limit, as it's torn and tattered, and such is an improper display of our American flag" would have sufficed.

Seriously - when registering a weapon, it's probably best if you're not labeled a "hot head" by the local police.

If it's not changed out in a couple of days, call the news media. They love stories like this, and will take pictures, video, whatever, until the department swaps out the flag for a new one.

Good info and link, MatieA. A flyer printed from that site would be an appropriate wake-up call.

vegasche1023

imported post

since9 wrote:
vegasche1023 wrote:
Yeah, if you gave anyone "some very nasty words," I'd say you overreacted.  A few polite words, such as "I noticed your flag has exceeded its service limit, as it's torn and tattered, and such is an improper display of our American flag" would have sufficed.

Seriously - when registering a weapon, it's probably best if you're not labeled a "hot head" by the local police.

If it's not changed out in a couple of days, call the news media.  They love stories like this, and will take pictures, video, whatever, until the department swaps out the flag for a new one.

Good info and link, MatieA.  A flyer printed from that site would be an appropriate wake-up call.

I left out that when I first approached him I politely told him that their flag is torn and dirty and should be replaced. His reply was, "ok?" so that's when I lost my cool. Good idea about the news!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:

'Register' your gun? In Nevada? Gun registration is unconstiutional. 'Ssems these 'Vegas cops care as muchabout the flag as they do the the Constitution. No surprises there.

'Course I haven't flown the US flag since Barry was elected... Not 'til it represents what it's supposed to again.

okboomer

imported post

Had a situation in my home town a few years ago ... our home town centennial ... in which the immigrant owners (citizens, now) of a motel had a faded, torn and shredded edge flag flying.

I called them and politely told them that their flag was in a state of disrepair and should be taken to WalMart for proper disposal and replaced with a new flag. They were unresponsive to say the least.

I then had a friend drop off a print out of the Flag Ettiquet.

A week later, when they still had not changed the flag, I called the local VFW and they got them to change the flag ...

The local chapter of the VFW has a procedure to handle situations like this.

Old Grump

imported post

The day after the election a lot of my friends were running around waving their hands in the air crying the sky is falling and those few who had flags were flying them upside down or at half mast. I went ballistic. I installed a flag pole and a light the same day and my lights have been on the flag ever since and it flies high and proud. I raised so much stink that my friends either took their flags down and just fly them on flag days and fly them right or did like I did and installed lights on them and fly them right.

My reasoning was that we lost an election, not a war. No president who refuses to salute the flag because he is afraid it might offend somebody is going to tell me I am a terrorist because I am a veteran, Christian, conservative and a gun owner and yes when the flag is presented at parades and events I stand and salute. When it gets frazzled and dirty it gets replaced with a clean one and is properly disposed of.

Do not wear a flag bandana or a flag shirt or a flag scarf or let the flag drag on the ground around me, I can, I will and I do get owly. Flag patch over your breast or on your shoulder yes but not as an article of clothing. Maybe a small thing to some but my sig line on a lot of the forums I am on is "Don't mess with my momma, my flag or my apple pie." I am serious about not messing with my flag, kudos to the OP vegasche1023.

okboomer

imported post

You know, the Flag Etiquette was taught in 6th grade (1972) as part of my first American History class (all other history before this was more geographical history of the US.)

I know that my daughter did not get Flag Etiquette during her schooling (1990-2003).

I wonder how many other's didn't get this either?