• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry wwmt 3 video

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I'm with you Mike, What time are we leaving from our side of town? Even if its a few of us its better than nothing.

conservative85

imported post

The Fish rots from the head down, It starts at that big white house, & works it's way down to the guard dogs.

T Vance

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
"Should we just ignore their call because that person has yet done something illegal or should we investigate that person to see what their intent is"

"you will be detained to see what your intent is and if your weapon is legally registered."

"problem is weeding them out from those who have malicious intent."

This guy admitted that his department should be committing illegal acts. Without RAS or PC they cannot run anyones record nor can they check for firearms registration. He literally confessed that they are going to be committing unlawful acts against law abiding citizens without probable cause.

Listen guys we must do something and asap. Is the 30th good for everyone? We need to find some public places (warm hopefully) to hang out and make our presence known.

Scott with that type of response do you think it would be a good idea for us to contact the FBI? With those responses I feel they would be pressed to investigate these views by a police chief.
You beat me to it!

T Vance

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
Mr. Webb,

Are you sure that you really listened to my comments on "open carry" it was not on "concealed carry." We have a society that has been assaulted by those less responsible individuals who do mass killings on our public. Look at what happened yesterday in Virginia. Thank you,

David Headings
Police Chief
Battle Creek, MI 49014
deheadings@ci.battle-creek.mi.us

So what did happen in Virginia yesterday? Was an OCer out killing people?

Found it

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100120/ts_afp/uscrimeshootingnewserieswrap_20100120095808

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
I emailed the chief and this was his response. I truly feel we need to have an event there ASAP. In his letter he states if I have a CCW to conceal and if I open carry I WILL be detained.

My email to the chief

Dear Chief Headings,

I am completely stunned that a Chief of Police would make comments like you did in regards to open carrying a firearm. To say those that open carry should expect to be "somewhat detained" for exercising their right to carry. In no way is the departments limits being tested. If your officer observes someone legally open carrying a firearm without any actions indicating a crime is being committed, your officers have no legal authority to detain someone. I would hope that dispatchers would be trained how to handle such calls and be able to inform the public if the person is just carrying a firearm no law is being broken. I also submit the following for your review to pass on to your department. http://www.michiganopencarry.org/node/4

Sincerely,
Scott Webb

**Chief's response

Mr. Webb,

Are you sure that you really listened to my comments on "open carry" it was not on "concealed carry." We have a society that has been assaulted by those less responsible individuals who do mass killings on our public. Look at what happened yesterday in Virginia. My comments was on what should the police do when citizens call us when they see someone carrying a gun in the open. Should we just ignore their call because that person has yet done something illegal or should we investigate that person to see what their intent is, while recognizing their legal rights? What you saw was about a five to ten second edited version of an approximately ten minute interview. What I was saying was, if you are not going to conceal your weapon in the public expect someone to call the police and you will be detained to see what your intent is and if your weapon is legally registered. If you have a CCW then please conceal your weapon and we can concentrate on answering calls for service when you have an immediate problem and it won't take us an hour to respond.

Believe me we have more to do than stopping responsible citizens who are obeying the law. The problem is weeding them out from those who have malicious intent. Help us in this by not causing us to waste time just because the law allows you to carry in the open. We can use our time better spent but we have to respond if some other citizen is worried about the person they see with a gun.

Thank you,

David Headings
Police Chief
Battle Creek, MI 49014
deheadings@ci.battle-creek.mi.us

WTF?

"Believe me we have more to do than stopping responsible citizens who are obeying the law. "

DanM

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
**Chief's response

Mr. Webb,

Are you sure that you really listened to my comments on "open carry" it was not on "concealed carry." . . .

He's using a form letter to reply to us. I received the same exact email from him. So much for any indication he's giving thought to theindividual points and concerns we bring up.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

DanM wrote:
sprinklerguy28 wrote:
**Chief's response

Mr. Webb,

Are you sure that you really listened to my comments on "open carry" it was not on "concealed carry." . . .

He's using a form letter to reply to us. I received the same exact email from him. So much for any indication he's giving thought to theindividual points and concerns we bring up.
...And who is to say he's even the person sending the responses?

Yooper

imported post

Venator wrote:
Form Channel 3 News Battle Creek, MI 1/20/10

NEWSCHANNEL 3) – After President Barack Obama won the election, gun sales went up.

The FBI says that in the three months following the election, the number of background checks to buy weapons increased by more than one million from the year before.

Reports say some stores are having trouble keeping up with demands, running out of both guns and ammo.

The right to carry weapons is part of an ongoing nationwide debate, and that debate is picking up in West Michigan.

People across the state are carrying guns out in the open, legally.

"I'm doing nothing different than a guy wearing a purple shirt on a Tuesday," said Steve Koch.

Koch, of Battle Creek, has openly carried a firearm for three years. Koch is a card carrying member of Open Carry Michigan, and just one of a growing number of Michigan residents who are taking advantage of a two decade old state law that says residents are free to carry guns in the open.

"I've always believed in the constitution and the right to defend yourself," said Koch.

The Battle Creek Police says that as the number of residents taking advantage of that law increases, there is a possibility that it will put the department in a tight situation.

"It catches us in a difficult bind," said Chief David Heading of the Battle Creek Police. "We understand the right to carry, but want the public's safety at the same time."

Chief Heading says he understands the open carry law, but fears that those who are utilizing the law are testing the department's limits.

"It's a difficult position," said Chief Heading, "they have to expect if we get a call, they will probably be somewhat detained and inquire about their intent."

Koch says he has every intention of continuing to carry his gun out in the open.

"You can either protect yourself or be victimized," said Koch. "There is no common ground."
Since there is no law that allows OC, how is it possible that such law is 20yrs old?

My guess is they are talking about the pre-emption law, but OC has always been legal, even before that was passed

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Venator wrote:

Dear Chief Headings,

I am President of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. a non-profit gun-rights organization. After viewing the Channel 3 interview about open carry I was shocked to hear you say that you would unlawfully detain every person you received a call on that was open carrying a handgun. I’m sure you know that any “detainment” of a citizen who is engaging in a lawful activity is in violation of federal civil rights laws (color of law) and could open you, the department and the city to a federal civil rights law suit.

An officer can engage in casual contact with anyone, but it must be understood that unless the officer has RAS or PC that the person is free to go and does not have to answer any questions or show ID or a firearm license.

Many departments throughout the state are coming to terms with the open carry of a firearm and realize that the law-abiding carry of a firearm is not a public safety concern. Many departments are informing their 911 operators to ask a few questions about a MWGC. Once it’s discovered that the person is just open carrying an officer can drive by and make a visual determination on how to proceed and can make a casual contact if needed. But if the officer sees that the person is just open carrying a firearm, that person should not be interfered with.

The United States places a great deal of respect on civil liberties and frowns upon excessive use of police powers. The US Supreme court has ruled that the mere presence of a gun alone is not reason for a detainment.

I have attached a LEAF newsletter on open carry and what officers can and can not do in regards to open carry, and a slide show LEAF produced to train officers. Please review both and pass on to your officers for review. I would be happy to present a talk to you and your officers as well.

I hope that your comment was accidental and doesn’t reflect the policy of the Battle Creek Police Department.

Sincerely,
Brian Jeffs MS. CPG.
President-Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Received this from the City Manager today.

Dear Mr. Jeffs:

Please be advised that the City Attorney and I are reviewing the Chief's comments. Since our Attorney previously worked with the department on it's policy regarding open carry, our review will look for consistency between the policy and the Chief's remarks.

Ken Tsuchiyama
City Manager
City of Battle Creek
Phone: (269) 966-3378
Fax: (269) 966-6654
E-Mail:
khtsuchiyama@ci.battle-creek.mi.us

mastiff69

imported post

Went to the city attorney's office today, the city attorney was to busy to talk with me at thattime , as she was in a hurry.11:45 am ish said she would call me back ?:shock:

Called and also left a mesage with the city manager's office, at 1215 pm ish