• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry wwmt 3 video

mastiff69

imported post

If you listen to the video, listen to what the chief says about detaining people , they just don't get it i guess,

it is a good thing that i have a letter from the city attorney about training the police,

this way there will be no mistake when they get taken into court for federal violations shh

PSS i heard that the chief is retiring next month..

Michigander

imported post

The chief pretty much admitted he intends to violate open carriers rights, which would thereby violate federal law for sure, Terry V Ohio, and JL v Florida, also probably state law as well. He has disgraced himself and his department with his words.

Please, please, please everyone, email him and let him know what he said is wrong, and that he needs to take back what he said, and clarify that he won't allow anyone to be detained unless they are actually suspects of a crime.

His name is David Headings, and this seems to be his email address.

deheadings@ci.battle-creek.mi.us

cabman1

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
So when is the next MOC event in Battle Creek ?

Well thats a good question Mastiff can you do bonfires where you live? We can do a moc bonfire in February. Or even a picnic if the weather stays like this.Any one up for a bbq in the winter for battle creek?????

THway

imported post

yes...

"we want people to have their right to carry if that is what the public wants to have"

Really? its a right that we the citizens have guaranteed by the US Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Michigan, but ultimately hinges on what the citizens want?

Am i understanding the Chief correctly?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Form Channel 3 News Battle Creek, MI 1/20/10

NEWSCHANNEL 3) – After President Barack Obama won the election, gun sales went up.

The FBI says that in the three months following the election, the number of background checks to buy weapons increased by more than one million from the year before.

Reports say some stores are having trouble keeping up with demands, running out of both guns and ammo.

The right to carry weapons is part of an ongoing nationwide debate, and that debate is picking up in West Michigan.

People across the state are carrying guns out in the open, legally.

"I'm doing nothing different than a guy wearing a purple shirt on a Tuesday," said Steve Koch.

Koch, of Battle Creek, has openly carried a firearm for three years. Koch is a card carrying member of Open Carry Michigan, and just one of a growing number of Michigan residents who are taking advantage of a two decade old state law that says residents are free to carry guns in the open.

"I've always believed in the constitution and the right to defend yourself," said Koch.

The Battle Creek Police says that as the number of residents taking advantage of that law increases, there is a possibility that it will put the department in a tight situation.

"It catches us in a difficult bind," said Chief David Heading of the Battle Creek Police. "We understand the right to carry, but want the public's safety at the same time."

Chief Heading says he understands the open carry law, but fears that those who are utilizing the law are testing the department's limits.

"It's a difficult position," said Chief Heading, "they have to expect if we get a call, they will probably be somewhat detained and inquire about their intent."

Koch says he has every intention of continuing to carry his gun out in the open.

"You can either protect yourself or be victimized," said Koch. "There is no common ground."

DanM

imported post

I sent an email to both the Chief and city manager (khtsuchiyama@ci.battle-creek.mi.us):

Dear Mr. Tsuchiyama and Chief Headings,

The right to self-defense, and lawful carry of a firearm for that purpose, is not in conflict with community safety. In fact, safety for a community is increased when members of a community do things lawfully to increase their personal safety, such as lawfully being prepared for self-defense.

Folks who are lawfully prepared for self-defense are not "testing the department's limits". That is a rather negative stereotype or profiling of a group of people which not only is completely false but I'm frankly surprised to hear the Chief engage in.

But most chilling is Chief Headings' remarks about law-abiding citizens having to expect to be detained over LAWFUL conduct with no probable cause or reasonable suspicion of criminal activity having been observed or reported.

I suggest that remark and any of the department's policies or unwritten practices reflecting it, be reviewed by the city's legal counsel before a police officer, the chief, the department, and the city find themselves in criminal or civil legal jeopardy.

conservative85

imported post

Detained for doing some thing legal?. Wow How Arrogant...He is all for people to carry if that is what the public wants? It don't matter what the public wants! the Constitution". Is the Law of the Land. Period

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Sent this to both as well.

Dear Chief Headings,

I am President of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. a non-profit gun-rights organization. After viewing the Channel 3 interview about open carry I was shocked to hear you say that you would unlawfully detain every person you received a call on that was open carrying a handgun. I’m sure you know that any “detainment” of a citizen who is engaging in a lawful activity is in violation of federal civil rights laws (color of law) and could open you, the department and the city to a federal civil rights law suit.

An officer can engage in casual contact with anyone, but it must be understood that unless the officer has RAS or PC that the person is free to go and does not have to answer any questions or show ID or a firearm license.

Many departments throughout the state are coming to terms with the open carry of a firearm and realize that the law-abiding carry of a firearm is not a public safety concern. Many departments are informing their 911 operators to ask a few questions about a MWGC. Once it’s discovered that the person is just open carrying an officer can drive by and make a visual determination on how to proceed and can make a casual contact if needed. But if the officer sees that the person is just open carrying a firearm, that person should not be interfered with.

The United States places a great deal of respect on civil liberties and frowns upon excessive use of police powers. The US Supreme court has ruled that the mere presence of a gun alone is not reason for a detainment.

I have attached a LEAF newsletter on open carry and what officers can and can not do in regards to open carry, and a slide show LEAF produced to train officers. Please review both and pass on to your officers for review. I would be happy to present a talk to you and your officers as well.

I hope that your comment was accidental and doesn’t reflect the policy of the Battle Creek Police Department.

Sincerely,

Brian Jeffs MS. CPG.

President-Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

manicdevery

imported post

Venator wrote:
Sent this to both as well.

Dear Chief Headings,

I am President of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. a non-profit gun-rights organization. After viewing the Channel 3 interview about open carry I was shocked to hear you say that you would unlawfully detain every person you received a call on that was open carrying a handgun. I’m sure you know that any “detainment” of a citizen who is engaging in a lawful activity is in violation of federal civil rights laws (color of law) and could open you, the department and the city to a federal civil rights law suit.

An officer can engage in casual contact with anyone, but it must be understood that unless the officer has RAS or PC that the person is free to go and does not have to answer any questions or show ID or a firearm license.

Many departments throughout the state are coming to terms with the open carry of a firearm and realize that the law-abiding carry of a firearm is not a public safety concern. Many departments are informing their 911 operators to ask a few questions about a MWGC. Once it’s discovered that the person is just open carrying an officer can drive by and make a visual determination on how to proceed and can make a casual contact if needed. But if the officer sees that the person is just open carrying a firearm, that person should not be interfered with.

The United States places a great deal of respect on civil liberties and frowns upon excessive use of police powers. The US Supreme court has ruled that the mere presence of a gun alone is not reason for a detainment.

I have attached a LEAF newsletter on open carry and what officers can and can not do in regards to open carry, and a slide show LEAF produced to train officers. Please review both and pass on to your officers for review. I would be happy to present a talk to you and your officers as well.

I hope that your comment was accidental and doesn’t reflect the policy of the Battle Creek Police Department.

Sincerely,

Brian Jeffs MS. CPG.

President-Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Woot woot, that is why you are President.

love this organization and all the responsable gun owners within it.

Devery

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I emailed the chief and this was his response. I truly feel we need to have an event there ASAP. In his letter he states if I have a CCW to conceal and if I open carry I WILL be detained.

My email to the chief

Dear Chief Headings,

I am completely stunned that a Chief of Police would make comments like you did in regards to open carrying a firearm. To say those that open carry should expect to be "somewhat detained" for exercising their right to carry. In no way is the departments limits being tested. If your officer observes someone legally open carrying a firearm without any actions indicating a crime is being committed, your officers have no legal authority to detain someone. I would hope that dispatchers would be trained how to handle such calls and be able to inform the public if the person is just carrying a firearm no law is being broken. I also submit the following for your review to pass on to your department. http://www.michiganopencarry.org/node/4

Sincerely,
Scott Webb

**Chief's response

Mr. Webb,

Are you sure that you really listened to my comments on "open carry" it was not on "concealed carry." We have a society that has been assaulted by those less responsible individuals who do mass killings on our public. Look at what happened yesterday in Virginia. My comments was on what should the police do when citizens call us when they see someone carrying a gun in the open. Should we just ignore their call because that person has yet done something illegal or should we investigate that person to see what their intent is, while recognizing their legal rights? What you saw was about a five to ten second edited version of an approximately ten minute interview. What I was saying was, if you are not going to conceal your weapon in the public expect someone to call the police and you will be detained to see what your intent is and if your weapon is legally registered. If you have a CCW then please conceal your weapon and we can concentrate on answering calls for service when you have an immediate problem and it won't take us an hour to respond.

Believe me we have more to do than stopping responsible citizens who are obeying the law. The problem is weeding them out from those who have malicious intent. Help us in this by not causing us to waste time just because the law allows you to carry in the open. We can use our time better spent but we have to respond if some other citizen is worried about the person they see with a gun.

Thank you,

David Headings
Police Chief
Battle Creek, MI 49014
deheadings@ci.battle-creek.mi.us

eastmeyers

imported post

WHAT!?!?!?!?

Their is no way this guy is serious. Is this an early April-fools joke? I don't even know what to say. How can you have a rational discussion with someone so one-sided, ignorant, and illogical. I just don't understand, he and Warren's Chief must be best buddies. I am lost for words or this would be MUCH longer!

As always,

God Bless

mikestilly

imported post

"Should we just ignore their call because that person has yet done something illegal or should we investigate that person to see what their intent is"

"you will be detained to see what your intent is and if your weapon is legally registered."

"problem is weeding them out from those who have malicious intent."

This guy admitted that his department should be committing illegal acts. Without RAS or PC they cannot run anyones record nor can they check for firearms registration. He literally confessed that they are going to be committing unlawful acts against law abiding citizens without probable cause.

Listen guys we must do something and asap. Is the 30th good for everyone? We need to find some public places (warm hopefully) to hang out and make our presence known.

Scott with that type of response do you think it would be a good idea for us to contact the FBI? With those responses I feel they would be pressed to investigate these views by a police chief.